Transferring Money Out Of Thailand

I searched this forum and found only discussions about how to transfer money INTO Thailand, the exchange rates (onshore/offshore) used and pitfalls therein.

However, I work and earn here and want to transfer my savings OUT.

What is the best way?

How to get the most favourable rate?

I have an SCB account, but the staff there couldn't help me - they specifically had never heard of different rates (onshore/offshore).

Thanks for any hints on this!

I use SCB and I can transfer money out however, they will not discuss differing exchange rates. You have to have a good reason for transfering money out and the most common one used is for family support. They understand this and once the paperwork has been completed for one transfer then you are in the computer so subsequent transfer are easier. I would never dream of trying to do this myself so my wife do it for me. She is allowed to transfer up to 2 million baht a year to a nominated account and the recipient must have an address to enter into the paperwork.<BR><BR>Hope this helps you.

I use SCB and I can transfer money out however, they will not discuss differing exchange rates. You have to have a good reason for transfering money out and the most common one used is for family support. They understand this and once the paperwork has been completed for one transfer then you are in the computer so subsequent transfer are easier. I would never dream of trying to do this myself so my wife do it for me. She is allowed to transfer up to 2 million baht a year to a nominated account and the recipient must have an address to enter into the paperwork.<BR><BR>Hope this helps you.

Also you may transfer or take out of Thailand what you can prove that you brought into Thailand. Never have had a problem with this.

"I have an SCB account, but the staff there couldn't help me - they specifically had never heard of different rates (onshore/offshore)."

they can't discuss something that never existed for Thai banks. a difference existed for transfers INTO Thailand till a couple of years ago but without any relevance for Thai banks.

I also use SCB to transfer money out of Thailand. I made the arrangements myself at the branch. There are 4 options on why you are transferring money out. I can't remember all of them, but the easiest one is family support of members outside of Thailand. I had 4 staff members and the bank Manager over to help me, and they were glad to assist the Thai who couldn't read Thai! Anyway, once it is set up at the bank, you can make transfers yourself online. It is very fast, convenient. The fee was 1000 baht per 100,000 baht I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your replies.

In fact, I know the regulations (I fall under"Ttransfer of savings earned in Thailand") and have cleared the paperwork with the bank.

The only issue left is the exchange rate. I read from one of the posters above that there is no more offshore/onshore rate difference, or at least it doesn't apply for transfers OUT? Can anybody confirm this?

What is the rate difference between Superrich (I don't live near and don't want to carry cash, so this is only for reference) and bank transfers?