Ready-Made Silk Sheets

november222

There is a fabric store at the Wararot Market, facing the Chinese Temple called Inter Fabric. They have ready made 100% cotton sheets, and will make top sheets, and fitted sheets to order for thicker mattresses. I don't know about silk, but they have thousands of different fabrics, and the owner's wife--Rene Sony--speaks perfect English and is very accommodating.

there is a silk shop that has many readimade items on the north side of Thapae road near thapae gate. More of this type of shop are opening up in CM. there is also an interesting little shop -- fairly new -- in worarot market. the owner is a thai woman but the shop looks tibetan. they have stuff from everywhere. and chosen with good taste.

I have bought fabric in bulk in various countries and had blankets made of it by taking it to a competent tailor or seamstress and having seams or hems put in at the places needed. Chiang Mai is awash with tailors and seamstresses.

The problem with getting silk sheets made or even ready made would be that there would most probably be several seams.....as hand looms are not as wide as a king sized. That's why most local cotton sheets are made that way [with panels].

I would be happy just finding reasonally priced cotton sheets of a high thread count......but it seems that those are only available at robinsons and central at high import prices......unless anyone knows of another source?? queen sized is what I'm looking for. brought some from the states last time I was there.

Just out of curosity.....does silk outlast cotton??

there is a silk shop that has many readimade items on the north side of Thapae road near thapae gate. More of this type of shop are opening up in CM. there is also an interesting little shop -- fairly new -- in worarot market. the owner is a thai woman but the shop looks tibetan. they have stuff from everywhere. and chosen with good taste.

I have bought fabric in bulk in various countries and had blankets made of it by taking it to a competent tailor or seamstress and having seams or hems put in at the places needed. Chiang Mai is awash with tailors and seamstresses.

But not many good ones, it seems.

The only places I have ever seen them in Chiang Mai are in the Indian owned shops along the Night Bazaar.

Keep in mind that these sheets are specially designed for the tourist market and are up for sale at tourist prices. But perhaps worth a look and maybe if you haggle a bit, there are some good deals to be had.