Tot Adsl And Bittorrent.

johnboi

Just wondering is anyone using tot's adsl package and downloading files via bittorrent?

I'm having a hellish time getting this configured correctly to allow incoming connections. The yellow light won't turn green. I'm getting plenty of seeds but only 1 or 2 peer connections.

Port forwarding has been set up as has port triggering.

The last file I downloaded was a 355mb avi with took about 14hrs I uploaded about 6mb.

Using copperjet adsl broadbrand router.

ZoneAlarm - bittorrent authorized

Windows firewall disabled.

Anyone who might have figured this out help would be appreciated :-)

Just wondering is anyone using tot's adsl package and downloading files via bittorrent?

I'm having a hellish time getting this configured correctly to allow incoming connections. The yellow light won't turn green. I'm getting plenty of seeds but only 1 or 2 peer connections.

The last file I downloaded was a 355mb avi with took about 14hrs I uploaded about 6mb.

hi'

normaly you don't need to triger any port, forward only is enough.

trigering ports for bittorrent is not advisable as connections come and go ...

you may trigger a port for a peer and then 2 hours later, he's out for 10mn, you loose this connection! the port is going to close!

forward. ony forward! :o

can you limit the bandwidth allocated to the upload?

ie; your download speed is 133kb/s(1mb line down) and 16kb/s(128kb line up),

the best is to limit to around 85 or 90% of the up line, so for a 128 up, set it at 14kb/s, and like this you can get the maximum of your download.

you can measure your speed here :speed check

don't use the default ports used by the bittorrent client as they are often known by isp's

use another range, and don't put too many ports, a range of 10 ports is more than enough :D

ie;16200 to 16209 and forward these to your IP.

a good thing to do is to forward port 6881 as a lot of trackers still use it.

6881 to 6881 on your IP.

is your IP static or dynamic?

if static, no problem! forward to the known IP.

if you get your IP every time you connect, your IP change and then the forward actions taken before become useless ... check your IP before, and forward accordingly.

if you use a routeur, it's easy to make your address static, just set the same IP in your windows connection. you'll need to know dns address and gateway.

run: ipconfig /all and write down all this to set up your windows connection, just be sure that the routeur is not set as dhcp and that your address is in it's range.

if the routeur is set as a dhcp gateway, you need to be out of the dhcp range of addresses, choose one before or after the dhcp range used by the routeur.

a lot of information here : how to forward ports?

hope it will help a bit ...

I'm used to get a medium speed of 50kb/s and going up to often 80kb/s and more .. :D

let's say that a dvd 4.5gb is in within a day or so :D

I use a routeur linksys and have a 4mb line, forward 5 ports and zonealarm is set with expert rules for each port concerning the bittorrent client.

I use ABC 3.01, and it goes pretty well.

some would say bit-comet or azureus, why not it's a personal choice, try some and choose the one you prefer :D

you can get them all here :free software goldmine

francois

Sorry to bother, but can you tell me what the outgoing mail server is with TOT DSL?

don't use the default ports used by the bittorrent client as they are often known by isp's

use another range, and don't put too many ports, a range of 10 ports is more than enough :o

6881 to 6881 on your IP.

if you get your IP every time you connect, your IP change and then the forward actions taken before become useless ... check your IP before, and forward accordingly.

if you use a routeur, it's easy to make your address static, just set the same IP in your windows connection. you'll need to know dns address and gateway.

run: ipconfig /all and write down all this to set up your windows connection, just be sure that the routeur is not set as dhcp and that your address is in it's range.

if the routeur is set as a dhcp gateway, you need to be out of the dhcp range of addresses, choose one before or after the dhcp range used by the routeur.

I'm used to get a medium speed of 50kb/s and going up to often 80kb/s and more .. :D

I use a routeur linksys and have a 4mb line, forward 5 ports and zonealarm is set with expert rules for each port concerning the bittorrent client.

some would say bit-comet or azureus, why not it's a personal choice, try some and choose the one you prefer :D

francois

Thanks for the advice I'm going to have a sit down with the PC tomorrow and go through it completely. I'll let you know the result :-)

use another range, and don't put too many ports, a range of 10 ports is more than enough :D

6881 to 6881 on your IP.

francois

Thanks for the advice I'm going to have a sit down with the PC tomorrow and go through it completely. I'll let you know the result :-)

Thanks for your help francois that worked a treat, getting reasonable D/L speeds now. Looked up my computers IP and routed it correctly so the problem seems to be I was loosing a lot of peer connections at router, :o

6881 to 6881 on your IP.

francois

Thanks for your help francois that worked a treat, getting reasonable D/L speeds now. Looked up my computers IP and routed it correctly so the problem seems to be I was loosing a lot of peer connections at router, :o

hi'

glad to see that it works :D

francois

• 1 month later...