Nepalese Green Card-Holder Deported From Bangkok After 18-Hour Detention

webfact

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TAWP - I totally agree. It fully coincides with the mood - overstayers will be jailed! Foreigners we hate you! That's what that jail/fine thing says to me...pure anger, hate and arrogance.

This was the point of my initial post. There was no need for such threats. She was like it or not going to do EXACTLY what Immigration had planned for her. She entered the country w/o the correct paperwork and now she has to leave. Why could not these Thai officials said just that with a smile on their face instead of threats?! Those sorts of threats are really verbal assault -maybe they were fishing for money AND IT WASN'T COMING?

Overstayers will be jailed - solution: Two weeks free (no jail), three months amnesty @ B500 a day. After the 90 days, b1000 a day over XX days not in hospital (calculated from the time you entered) - and you are persona non grata - period FOREVER. No jail. Pay the money, go and have a nice day.

Working without a visa - solution: sixty days amnesty to sort your paperwork (no jail). B500 a day for every day you are in country on that particular visa. If you are caught working ... mandatory two months in jail AND persona non grata FOREVER.

Only exception: Children in country. You will be allowed one TR a year. If you screw that up, you are finished forever!

The solutions to many of Thailands problems are so simple Western High Schoolers could solve them. Thailand just swirls in manufactured controversy and mayhem because if it actually had a rule of law - it would cut out opptys for corruption and graft. Mayhem and chaos creates waste and opportunism.

Edited by bangkokburning

Probably because she's one of those "married to a western expat" or hi-so princesses you often see from the dirt poor developing world who flash around their european or U.S. visas like it's a diplomatic passport expecting people to be impressed. It may impress the impoverished rubes but immigration people couldn't care less. In fact it probably has the opposite effect, they think you're an arrogant <deleted> and will purposely give you a hard time.

All a bit speculative that no? Where on earth did you get 'hi-so princesses' from?

Look, if she was a Caucasian, she would have been politely declined entry. Unfortunately, she is Nepalese and the 'our shit don't stink' attitude of the Thai asiatic towards low-order asiatics (as they see them) prevailed and they gave her a hard time. Good job she wasn't black eh?

Now before you get all bent out of shape about this Thai attitude, it aint just a Thai thing. The Singaporeans look down on Thais, so Thais look down on Nepalese. That's life in what we call the Orient.

They look down on farangs too but we have thicker skins.

• Like 1

The airlines (and immigration in India) should have never allowed her to board the plane. I have a US passport and I was once not allowed to board because my passport would be within six months of expiring before I returned. The airlines was very nice and said my ticket would be refunded or re-issued, but they were not going to be responsible for allowing me to board the flight.

I have also been questioned by Singapore Airlines before boarding a flight to Bangkok. They said I needed an onward ticket. I showed them I had a non-immigrant visa and they said that was fine.

Most airlines are very careful.

I don't know of very many countries that would allow someone entry to their country without the proper documentation. In this case, the probable threat for a fine and jail time was probably stated if they had reason to believe that this person was intentionally trying to enter the country illegally.

I am sure it was very unpleasant experience for the person involved and it's sad that she made all the way to Bangkok only to be sent back.

Eh? Whenever has ANY departing Immigration department concerned themselves where you are heading for next? Departing Immigration don't even care if you can't find your departing flights gate! The airline is the one responsible for spotting passport validity, visa needs and the like.

She lacked Visa and rightfully got declined at the border.

However, the line about:

threatened her with indefinite detention and a fine of $10,000.

...is worrying. Why on earth would she be threatened with jail time? It is not illegal to show up at the border and be rejected. Nor is there any fine attached to it. (The fines for the airlines is a different matter.)

Exactly!

That's the only concern here.

This lady was very careless. She got her entry denied on arrival for good reasons... then why the crazy threats?

As another poster mentioned, hundreds of people have their entry denied everyday (thai women in the US for example). But they are just kept in the international zone until they are shipped back home at the expense of the airline that let them go that far.

Thai Airways trying to blame other country immigration are just ridiculous. It's not the departure's immigration role to check for that... except maybe for Thailand where it seems that even Thai nationals are very thouroughly checked when exiting their own country. I have to admit I was surprised to discover that Thai citizen have to fill arrival and departure card and get stamped by their own immigration.

Poor Nepalese lady!! she came in when the immigration officer had a fight with his wife.

Probably that or the same old duffer I got last month when I fronted up at the Thai Passport desk with Thai wife and our boy who was being a twerp and needed mums restraint from running off. So I fronts up with the passports and the Immigration arse starts railing (impolitely in Thai) that the Thai person should be first in line and the farang and half-breed dek should follow.

I bit my tongue and thanked Buddha that I had at least put my inferior Brit passport on the bottom of the pile.

However, the line about:

...is worrying. Why on earth would she be threatened with jail time? It is not illegal to show up at the border and be rejected. Nor is there any fine attached to it. (The fines for the airlines is a different matter.)

I maintain that there's more than this than we know about. Generally speaking media stories only illustrate things from the tourist POV. The fact that her story made the media raises eyebrows a bit too. I'm guessing she's considered "somebody" in Nepal or her husband is a journalist.

I have to admit I was surprised to discover that Thai citizen have to fill arrival and departure card and get stamped by their own immigration.

Not surprising. Thai's just use the forms in reverse order, ie. Immigration files the departure part of the card when they leave and the Arrival part is retained in the Thai passport for when they come back at which time it is removed. Same in Brazil.

It's mostly the totally dysfunctional and easily abused UK and US Immigration systems that allows their locals to wander in and out with only a cursory look at their travel docs.

Edited by NanLaew

Only an idiot would get on a flight to or through another country unaware of entry requirements. Gets an "idiot gold star" for claiming ignorance and blaming others. How does this get to the "News". Hey!!! another idiot!!!! .....not even a really good one.

And to our fire breathing dragon.....a stupid cow is a derogatory term for a woman whom someone does not like. English equivalent to calling someone a khwai (buffalo) in Thailand. Sorry to break it to you. Hopefully you were not the recipient of such a comment.

However, the line about:

I agree with you,they had right to deny her entry,that's all,without threats of jail and fines.She did not try to cheat,her passport was in order!Many people everyday meet such treatment because of different reason.Denial of entry is big problem by itself.

She was threatened because she was Asian;they treat them without a shadow of courtesy which we receive and which we take for granted.Probably it was attempt to shake her.

But looking on this from another side - Nepalese can go to India without passport!Try to get visa to India today,not so easy!

Unfortunatly - this is the only country,where they can go easy,everywhere else - visa!And everybody in Nepal with passport know it very well!This is common knowledge and her ignorance is difficult to understand.

Question - why Thai Airlines let her board the flight?I will only give example - I was in Nepal last year;going there - buying ticket I had such conversation with staff in big travel agency

- I want to buy ticket to Kathmandu,what do you have to offer?

-Kathmandu?

-Yes,Kathmandu...

..she is asking something another girl,then again

-where do you want to go?

-Kathmandu

again asking another staff

-where is Kathmandu?

Have you got my point?

The answer is - incompetence!

It is hard to have a job in Kolkata,job in ThaiAirlines at the airport is very good job,only for friends and family,their qualifications are of no importance!

Indian Immigration have no bizness to check Thai visa of foreign passengers;they might be interested about Indians only.

ThaiAirlines station manager tried to cover his ass putting blame on Indian Immigration.

may be - somebody is after his job?I do not understand why this story has made such a big impact?

However, the line about:

Was the "threat" just a bit of journalistic licence? It wouldn't have been much a story without that line.

If a Thai lady was refuse entry at a US port even though she have a US visa, will that make news? NO. This Nap girl has no visa, so she should shut up, and go back the way she arrives. Even if she has a visa, it is up to the immigration officer at the port of entry to decide. I am sorry if she does not know that. The airlines is there to do a quick screening, however the responsibility is with the passengers. Airlines do get a fine when their passengers get rejected. Further more departing immigration does NOT care which countries you are intending to go, as it is not their job. If such thing can makes news, everyday tens (if not hundreds) of us (Thai women) are turn away from entries in various countries, with or without visa. Reason can varies if we are suspected of trying to gain illegal employment, or some because we are too sexy or dress like Paris Hilton. . . . . . There is discussion going on somewhere in ThaiVisa about such thing.

a bit harsh! what if the shoe was on the other foot and YOU misunderstood?!:o same ruthless treatment applies?!

Yes. There are a lot of Thais that misunderstand their student visas to the US as well. Often times they think they can go to school (part time English school) while working as wait help at restaurants for cash without paying taxes and many times overstaying for like, the rest of their lives. Just a simple misunderstanding though.

She has a green card, so what. I have a "beyond" platinum card. Green card cannot make payment nor withdraw cash. Who cares about green card outside USA. If I am the immigration office, I would politely tell the girl to put the green card away, as I won't be interested; and stop threatening me. Have green card does not make her my mother. I am only interested in her Nap passport, her real intention to visit Thailand, if she has the mean to support herself, any hidden agenda, is she likely to take up illegal employment, and will she be leaving Thailand after her intended stay, etc. . . . As the article is only a one sided story, I will take it with a bucket of salt. . . . http://thaicatwalk.c...eyond-platinum/

I didn't know having a platinum card is NEWS ( yawn~)...and for a fact that not knowing what a person had gone throught (the hundles) to be qualified for a USA Green Card...you're either ignorance or Naïve :passifier: ...

And incase you have to ask....here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignorance

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Na%C3%AFve

With the accumulated down reputation you have right now, maybe it's time to consider starting new with a another user name...B)

What a croc of crap! The onus for anyone travelling to any country is on them for entry requirements, not the airline. If as she claims, Thai staff 'misled' her then I would say that is not what happened. She boarded in Nepal and most likely showed them her passport and big noted herself with her US green card. Either way whatever document she produced she was allowed to Board. Getting nailed on arrival? Absolutely and well done immigration for their due diligence.

Matter closed. unsure.gif

I think this matter has been blown out of proportion. First off, where does it say anywhere the implicated lady got into a fight with anyone? She may have disagreed, which is a common result when people are disappointed and unaware of the rules. Where does it say, the immigration officers were unfair? It is standard practice to detain illegal entrants until the next available flight out of the country. Had she not been detained, where do you think she would have stayed so that the authorities would ensure compliance with the immigration laws? If someone enters a country without the proper visa, they get detained.

Here's a perfect example from 24 September I picked up off the QMI agency newsfeeed; (I'm just going to use the key points) It's the same type of case in terms of the visa issue, and it seems the Thais were somewhat nicer.

- An Edmonton, Canada man has launched an $86,000 lawsuit against Lufthansa after claiming the German airline "abandoned" him in the wrong African country.

- Ndala Bruno also says in a statement of claim recently filed in Court of Queen's Bench that he was confined for a day because he didn't have an entry visa for that country and then had to purchase a ticket to get to his destination.

- Bruno had used Aeromiles to book a flight with Lufthansa to Kinshasa, the capital city of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, via Calgary, Frankfurt and Brussels.

- Bruno claims he flown from Frankfurt to Brussels and subsequently to the Congo, as stated in his itinerary, but was taken instead to Libreville, the capital of Gabon, and "abandoned."

- He did not have an entry visa for Gabon and, as a result, was detained by the police and placed in confinement for a day. After being released, he claims he had to buy a ticket to travel from Libreville to Kinshasa.

- He claims he was stranded in Libreville for three days before a flight to Kinshasa was available.

- He's asking for $10,000 lost income and $75,000 general damages.

Interesting parallels. Not to be mean, but I'd rather be stranded in Thailand than in Gabon. :jap:

I think this matter has been blown out of proportion. First off, where does it say anywhere the implicated lady got into a fight with anyone? She may have disagreed, which is a common result when people are disappointed and unaware of the rules. Where does it say, the immigration officers were unfair? It is standard practice to detain illegal entrants until the next available flight out of the country. Had she not been detained, where do you think she would have stayed so that the authorities would ensure compliance with the immigration laws? If someone enters a country without the proper visa, they get detained.

Here's a perfect example from 24 September I picked up off the QMI agency newsfeeed; (I'm just going to use the key points) It's the same type of case in terms of the visa issue, and it seems the Thais were somewhat nicer.

- An Edmonton, Canada man has launched an $86,000 lawsuit against Lufthansa after claiming the German airline "abandoned" him in the wrong African country.

- Ndala Bruno also says in a statement of claim recently filed in Court of Queen's Bench that he was confined for a day because he didn't have an entry visa for that country and then had to purchase a ticket to get to his destination.

- Bruno had used Aeromiles to book a flight with Lufthansa to Kinshasa, the capital city of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, via Calgary, Frankfurt and Brussels.

- Bruno claims he flown from Frankfurt to Brussels and subsequently to the Congo, as stated in his itinerary, but was taken instead to Libreville, the capital of Gabon, and "abandoned."

- He did not have an entry visa for Gabon and, as a result, was detained by the police and placed in confinement for a day. After being released, he claims he had to buy a ticket to travel from Libreville to Kinshasa.

- He claims he was stranded in Libreville for three days before a flight to Kinshasa was available.

- He's asking for $10,000 lost income and $75,000 general damages.

Interesting parallels. Not to be mean, but I'd rather be stranded in Thailand than in Gabon. :jap:

Actually, I think this guy was treated worse for something completely not his fault. He didn't even plan to go to Gabon, so there is no reason for him to have a visa for entry.

This Nepalese woman KNEW she was coming to Thailand, but didn't get off her arse (ass, if you're American) and get herself a visa. Completely her fault. And immigration did what they were supposed to do.

What would people have immigration do? Just wave her in saying "Mai pen rai"?

If a Thai lady was refuse entry at a US port even though she have a US visa, will that make news? NO. This Nap girl has no visa, so she should shut up, and go back the way she arrives. Even if she has a visa, it is up to the immigration officer at the port of entry to decide. I am sorry if she does not know that. The airlines is there to do a quick screening, however the responsibility is with the passengers. Airlines do get a fine when their passengers get rejected. Further more departing immigration does NOT care which countries you are intending to go, as it is not their job. If such thing can makes news, everyday tens (if not hundreds) of us (Thai women) are turn away from entries in various countries, with or without visa. Reason can varies if we are suspected of trying to gain illegal employment, or some because we are too sexy or dress like Paris Hilton. . . . . . There is discussion going on somewhere in ThaiVisa about such thing.

The thing is, Miss Troll, this has got nowt to do with Thai lady.

I do agree, however, that the woman in question must accept her mistake being ignorant to the rules, while the airline should shoulder the cost of the return flight.

I guess if you're from Nepal you'd need to be aware that you need a visa (and that the visa on arrival is not available to Nepalese as stated by Thai immigration).

I don't know why she was detained though - just sending her back should have been good enough no? As for Thailand polishing up its tourism image - that would be down to the dumbest people in Thailand, unfortunately - the politicians making the ever-more-ridiculous immigration laws. Of course immigration laws are stupid almost anywhere Thailand is hardly alone in that.

I very strongly disagree with airlines somehow policing visa laws. Too much involvement in that already.

Several posts deleted for un-necessarily abusive comments.

Any more and formal warnings will be issued.

I very strongly disagree with airlines somehow policing visa laws. Too much involvement in that already.

The airlines have little option as they are liable to fines for bringing in passengers without the correct paperwork.

They may also have to bear the cost of repatriating the person.

This is what happened to me and my wife when we visited Thailand four years ago:

Myself being a Norwegian, and my wife Maltese , we were going back to Norway after a holiday visit to Thailand. We were going via London where we going to spend a couple of days.

Checking in at Thai Airways, we were informed that my wife was not allowed to embark on the plane. The reason? She held a Maltese passport and her final destination was Norway. My wife had been a resident in Norway for 20 years, but as she had just renewed her passport and she did not have the stamp in the new passport to prove that she was residing in Norway.

Eventually, they accepted her Norwegian bank card as proof, so she was admitted on board. As I understood it, the reason for not letting her onboard was that if she was denied entry to Norway, (or UK where we first going), the airline company had to pay for the return ticket back to Thailand.

Now the interesting question – what would have happened if they wouldn’t have let her go? After 90 days her Thai visa would expire. So, that would mean, she could not stay in Thailand and she could not leave Thailand?

You would think that when you by a return ticket from A to B and back to A, that once they have taken you to B, they would take you back to A? (We came with Thai Airways from London)

Actually, the same thing happened again this year, coming back from US with Continental. (My wife had had to get a new passport again in order to get a US visa). But this time they would not accept the bank card. And as it happened, this time we did have a ticket to Malta, as it was our intention to go straight from Oslo to Malta. But because we had been delayed 2 weeks due to the volcanic ash eruption, the tickets had expired, and Continental would not accept them. So my wife had there and then at the counter to by a full price one way ticket from Oslo to Malta. (The ticket she got refunded and actually made a 50$ profit due to currency fluctuations. )

The consequences of this is, as I understand it, if you are in a country where you are not residing, and don’t have a return ticket to you home country, you cannot by a return ticket to a third country. That is, you can by it, but you risk of getting stranded at your destination?

I have to agree here the fact that she has a U.S. green card means squat. She could have been a mail order bride or something.

Her US Green Card outside the USA means about as much as my US Diplomatic passport in the USA, absolutely squat - The airlines that allowed her to board without a visa is liable to be fined by Thailand for issuing the boading pass, in fact they should be fined. I was refused in Bangkok some years ago for boading a Vietnam airlines to HCMC because I didn't have a Visa in my passort, I did have a letter from Vietnamese Immigration that they would issue me a Visa on Arrival - they still didn't allow me to board - a few phone calls to the Vietnam Consulate, an apology , and a free night in the airport hotel, next day I was on my way. I say 'Good on Ya' for the airlines official (cutie pie she was) that refused me a boarding pass, the computer system clearly said US Citizens need a Visa in their passport before they are allowed entry to Vietnam. B)

they got a big book in small prints at embarcation that states every possible case of visa, even for Martians going to the Moon; I know because therewas a confusion once over a fellow passenger's status at a counter ( was to spend two days in BKK then on to Viet nam, for which he did have a visa) ; trouble was, the book was in English, we were in France, and the hostess got the text wrong ( more because of logical thinking than language problem)So in spite of my insisting the young guy could have a visa on arrival, they scared him into not flying and going back with dad and mom !!

Anyway, the book exists and it must be someone 's job to know about it and be able to find info quickly in it .

Edited by souvenirdeparis

Checking in at Thai Airways, we were informed that my wife was not allowed to embark on the plane. The reason? She held a Maltese passport and her final destination was Norway. My wife had been a resident in Norway for 20 years, but as she had just renewed her passport and she did not have the stamp in the new passport to prove that she was residing in Norway.

The last time I looked Malta is part of the EU

and as such your wife will get a 30 day permit to stay on arrival.

It seems THAI needs to get their act together. :bah:

The last time I looked Malta is part of the EU

and as such your wife will get a 30 day permit to stay on arrival.

It seems THAI needs to get their act together. :bah:

not sure, I don't understand where the "middle " destination was .The scene took place in BKK it seems . Well, it's getting late here ..

I am a Thai and I am so shame of what happen to the poor Nepalese girls. On behalf of Thailand, we are so sorryto what happen to you. Please come to visit us again, and for the sake of doubt, please apply for a visa before you book a return ticket.