Renting In A Neighborhood Outside Of Cm City

Citizen313619

Hello Everyone.

This is a great forum and a wealth of information. I just wanted to give a big thanks to all the contributors and let people know that it is highly appreciated! :jap:

I have been driving around 7-15km outside of the moat looking for a nice house to rent.

Does anyone know of any neighborhoods outside of the city center that they would recommend?

4,000 - 9,000 baht a month is fine, 2-4 bedrooms - I would prefer North/ East but am very flexible

Just looking to see if anyone has found a really nice area

Doi Saket, San Sai, Hang Dong, San Patong

The list is endless.

I'm at Doi Saket (north of CM) and on the Mooban I live in there are numerous houses for rent mostly between 4,500 and 10,000bht a month.

Very quiet area, mountains nearby, small town, 25 mins to central CM.

The Mooban office handles many of the rentals

081-8825129

Edited by sarahsbloke

I used to ride around and hunt for houses, but I got really tired, stepping of the bike, on the bike etc.

So now I basically search via internet (email, websites, ads) and then have a look.

You kind of have the same specs as I have, maybe you could try some real estate agents first (google), something like http://www.chiangmailannahouse.com

• 2 weeks later...

As above poster mentioned the easiest route is through an agent, yet you pay a premium for this service- I guessimate 10-15%pa. If u OK with this then by all mean lookup chiangmaihouse, chiangmailannahouse, etc.

For my money I think select an area that really appeals to you better than no other- then look for homes to rent in that area...they will be displayed in Thai writing on the gate out front. Then negoitate the best deal u can...

Agents typically ask for 1-2 months rent per year as their commission. (8-16%pa). Also I advise to never expect to pay a Bond of 2 months rent- as the owner will spend it and u will never see it again.

2 months rent for Bond is not done in anywhere I know except Thailand... except in the usual event the Landlord supply high value furniture. Otherwise there is no justification for 2 months rent + 1st month in advance. I like to say I will pay 6 months with a very minimal Bond, that will be used up in the last month. The larger you offer up front the better the deal- human nature- particularly Thai.

Also remember the Baht is very strong right now- so that a good justification to pay less.

Chok Dee