Thailand Rejects Future Foreign Aid

george

Thailand rejects future foreign aid

BANGKOK: Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has announced that Thailand will stop accepting foreign aid from next year, saying the money should instead go towards poorer neighbouring countries.

He says the foreign ministry will thank all the donor countries who have helped Thailand.

The Prime Minister says aid should be spent on programs in its neighbours, which include military-ruled Burma, Laos and Cambodia.

Source: AFP 2003-11-30

Bangkok Post follow up on this issue:

PM: No more begging bowl for us

Renounces foreign aid from next year

BANGKOK: Thailand will stop seeking foreign aid from next year, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra announced yesterday.

``Thailand freed itself from the International Monetary Fund in 2003. From 2004, we must not take assistance from any country. All ministries must bear in mind that they must not seek donations or ask for loans from abroad,'' Mr Thaksin said at the opening of a mobile cabinet meeting in Hua Hin.

``We already have a lot of money. We can even generate more if what we have is not enough. The Finance Ministry must have a clear strategy on revenue-making, taxation and put added value to assets.''

He also said all problem state enterprises must be restructured. Those that cannot be restructured would be dissolved. ``In 2004, all profit-making state enterprises must be listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand. Loss-ridden ones must go as we cannot afford to waste more time on them. There must be no state enterprises running at a loss left next year,'' he said.

He called for strong leadership at all administrative levels, from the prime minister down to provincial governors.

``Leaders at all levels must have all-around knowledge on every subject, both in depth and width. We must recruit as many people as possible to work together as a team. We must do many things at the same time along with decentralisation of power.

``If this could be done, Thailand would change enormously in three years and this would make the goal to solve the poverty problem in six years more practical,'' he said.

Mr Thaksin said a knowledge of technology could help strengthen leadership because the government would soon introduce new technologies in its administration including the e-government and e-citizen projects.

From the middle of next year, information on the country's population would be fully updated, he said.

He stressed that all leaders should learn the art of communication to explain everything clearly to society. Leaders must dare to express their desire for change, to make arguments. They should not keep everything to themselves for fear of unfavourable consequences, he added.

During the meeting, Deputy Prime Minister Visanu Krue-ngarm proposed a reform plan under which some defence personnel would no longer hold military ranks. At the initial stage this would apply to medical staff.

He would also look into Mr Thaksin's suggestion that some military staff be transferred to civil service jobs in fields short of personnel. Some generals could be made director-general or deputy chief of a department.

Source: Bangkok Post

Guest IT Manager

Quote from PM Taksin;

"He also said all problem state enterprises must be restructured. Those that cannot be restructured would be dissolved. ``In 2004, all profit-making state enterprises must be listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand. Loss-ridden ones must go as we cannot afford to waste more time on them. There must be no state enterprises running at a loss left next year,'' he said."

It would be good to address this issue as follows,

"show the world, how a public health system will ever make money"

likewise "and the profit generating capacity of a public education facility would be.....?" :o

It seems that all that is thought of, or dreamed in Thailand, will happen. Talk about positive thinking!! There really doesn't seem to be much except think big, be big. Good goals, but I feel that many are not reasonable. At least they want to help their neighbors.

:o

How does he know there won't be another 1997 type crash?

he was a Vice Prime Minister when the country collapse, most people loose money and went to the dog house, he got wealthier, maybe he know something other don't, another crash not a chances.

:o It's a good positive thinking attitude, but I think Mr. PM. need to come down to walk on the street level sometime to see the reality, "We already have lot of money. We can even generate more if what we have is not enough" ??

Since Thailand no longer a poor country have enough money and could even make more money if it wanted to, it would mean Thailand is one of the rich nation if not super rich ("We can even generate more if what we have is not enough")

well....

How about clean-up the air in Bangkok, clean-up the streets and fixed-up side walk make it look nice like when the APEC members come, how about clean-up the polluted canals, make it look just like Thailand once call "Venice of the east"

and how about put some money to educate motorist in Bangkok and make roadway and traffics more civilize, I'm sure Thailand can afford all of that. "We can even generate more if what we have is not enough" ???

How about fixed-up the healthcare systems, 30 Bahts is about to bankrupt the hospital.

There still a lot more poor people in Thailand, how about those who fallen into prostitution because of their poor and helpless, or perhaps The billions of Bahts or Dollars they made is a touchy subject ?

These are just few of the example the country that have enough money would do, more civilize.

Interesting, if Thailand says they have all this money and cash, how come then do they require us to keep putting money in their banks and forcing us to cough up money for visas and stamps and what not. Then they excite everybody of this wonderful elite card. And so on of other things.

Inflation to rear its ugly head. Heck that is happening right now as we talk here.

Also if they have so much, perhaps they should pitch in and contribute more money for health care for all people. Not just their own. Yes rebuild the city somewhat make more roads and provide better water and phone services etc and all that.

This is a huge task to overcome and whether it will succeed remains to be seen. Keep in mind tourism accounts for well over 40 percent of their financing.

As of the crash of "97" that too is possible. If the world experiences another wave of Sars etc or some disease epidemic, oh things can change fast.

The future right now is very uncertain. The world is walking on some high wire trying to balance itself from destruction. Certain world events can trigger an economic crash to anyone.

As for me, I would rather play the wait and see game and observe and hang on to what I have dearly. Too many iffs going on right now.

Daveyo

The economic engine is sputtering now, and almost out of gas. It is time we put ourselves on watch and make the right plans to each their own.

Hi Tomy - welcome back! So happy that you've been able to circumvent some of the difficulties that life presents us in the interests freedom of expression.

shhhhhh! im trying to keep a low profile :o are you trying to get me in trouble again lol :D nice to be back pnustedt i was using (ying-yang) but the name doesn't fit well on me, so i sign up another tomy, im a new person now, the past is the past i have move on, "make love not war" B)

every country would like to have a little pride right,, there's alots of thing he has promise, give him a chances, maybe after a few year from now we can come back and bash him.