Free Tourist Simcard True

Soulwy

When I arrived at the airport this week I got a Free SIMcard of TOT / TRUE. As my old 12Call SIMcard had expired (I hate this, it was my 3rd SIM in 15 months) and as I needed one immediately, I gave it a try. I only had to top-up for 50 baht.

Now, I am not a believer of FREE, especially when it's called "Free TOURIST SIMcard", so what is this FREE SIMcard action about?

Is it that you pay 3baht per domestic call (both land as mobile) and for sms? With 12Call it is I believe 1 baht, but for a SIMcard you pay around 50 baht.

For a low profile caller I personally don't mind paying the 3 baht p.m., I just wondered what this promotion was about.

(and if you know how I can keep my SIMcard -unexpired-, please let me know. Because changing numbers is not the way to keep friends wink.gif)

Edited by Soulwy

The more times you top up the more air time you get. air time being the amount of time until the sim card expires. If you top up with say 300 or 500 B then you get much more air time.

By the way, it does tell you this information everytime you top up or use the "check balance" facility.

Failing that you could always pop into your nearest true store and ask them to show you how to check.

It used to be that all the majors (AIS, DTAC, True) gave you a year on pre-paid purchased minutes 3 or 4 years ago.

That changed a year or so ago. As mentioned above, if you are on a pre-paid account, small top ups have a very quick expiration. Like 40 B lasts a few days! You really need to top up ~ 800 B to get 6 months; I seem to recall 1500 B was what was needed on AIS 1-2-Call for a year's validity.

Of course, there are a zillion different programs, pricing constantly changes, so don't take the above figures factually.

Bottom line: on prepay, top up with a big amount to get long airtime validity.

Thaimiller, mmmm...this could be the solution...because I don't want to top up for 800 baht to get 6 months.

Any chance you know how a call per minute & sms cost? And a good reach in any part of Thailand?

Not sure on the SMS but for calling the first 90 days its 1thb/min for any network, after 90 days its 1 thb/min to other dtac and 1.5thb/min to any other network. If you put 300 or 500 of credit on you also get 30 or 50 thb of free sms messages valid over 10 days. Ive used it all over thailand in the last few years and the only place I couldn't connect was deepest darkest udon when I went to the Mrs's village.

I was given a free True simcard a year ago but l only use it for calls back to the UK as they were quoting a call charge of 1 baht a minute or 3 baht for a more clearer line. I have only used the 1 baht a minute call charge and it is very clear. Have not used it for local calls. Be careful though if you leave the phone on you get so many Thai advertising messages that can reduce your balance. Enjoy as not much is free in LOS

I used one of the free sims given away at the airport quite successfully during April and May this year.

Whilst in the u.k. for the following three months the sim was not in use but still had a few hundred baht of credit left unused.

Returning to Thailand in September to find the message on my phone "unregistered sim" so I couldn't use it lost the credit also.

surprise surprise free?:unsure:

I need to correct myself:

Domestic calls: 1.25 baht ($0.04)

International calls standard: 1.50 baht ($0.05)

'better connection" 3 baht

International SMS 5 baht

Prices excl. 7% VAT

+ 1 hour per month free WIFI (haven't tried this)

Sanpakwan: it's too bad a few 100's were waited, but this has nothing to do with this free card.

The TrueMove website has a list of current promotions (in English) for the pre-pay plans. Here's a link to the "one year validity" promotion. http://www.truemove....year-long.rails

I use the True sim that I got for free at the airport upon arrival. I don't use my phone very often, so I can't really complain. No problems so far.

HTH

Where is the TrueMove desk located in BKK?