Pattaya One In, Pattaya Today Maybe Out

sharecropper

Following the failed Walking Street Journal, Pattaya Vision, Pattaya Press, Pattaya Info and faltering Pattaya Today in the last three years, yet another newsprint publication is in the works in Pattaya. The Pattaya One Media Group will launch yet another newspaper for Pattaya.

Informed sources say the new publication will be produced twice a month beginning October 1st. Called “Pattaya One,” it will be printed in Bangkok and will sell for 15 baht. It is printed on newsprint on irregular-sized paper smaller than the tabloids.

For the full story read here: Pattaya Times:http://pattaya-times.com/a6308-pattaya-one-in-pattaya-today-maybe-out

I just read this and found it hilarious.

If anyone's seen the movie Time Bandits when a small guy espouses the historical signifificance of small men throughout history, this reads as a sumblime parody, as though size matters more than content:

The Pattaya Times remains the only broadsheet newspaper published in Pattaya. The Pattaya Times, Bangkok Post and the Nation are the only full-sized English newspapers in Thailand. All other English newspapers printed in Thailand are in the half-sized tabloid format like the Pattaya Mail or smaller like Pattaya One.

I also enjoyed the intro, damning the new Pattaya rag by association with other failed offerings:

Following the failed Walking Street Journal, Pattaya Vision, Pattaya Press, Pattaya Info and faltering Pattaya Today in the last three years, yet another newsprint publication is in the works in Pattaya. The Pattaya One Media Group will launch yet another newspaper for Pattaya.

Also,

"such as the nightlife columns Nightmarch by Duncan Stern" Is that the same Duncan Stearn,

who used to write for (and presumably proof-read) for Pattaya Times?!!

"and advice the column Kris & Noi by Chris Clark" Oof. Come back Duncan "Stern", all is forgiven.

Even the photo of Howard Miller that Pattaya Times uses is scary (unless he actually looks like a lardy zombie).

All in all, a great article from the vastly underrated Pattaya Times.

Edited by sharecropper

Take the hacks from one failed paper and use them to start a new one.

The move to Pattaya One follows the rebellion of these foreign columnists who were up until recently writing for the Pattaya Today.

“We left because Peter Read of the failed Pattaya Today newspaper would not pay us. Howard told us about his idea and we couldn't get work elsewhere so we thought we'd give it a try,” said one of the group who said he was disgruntled by poor treatment from Read.

The Pattaya Times remains the only broadsheet newspaper published in Pattaya. The Pattaya Times, Bangkok Post and the Nation are the only full-sized English newspapers in Thailand. All other English newspapers printed in Thailand are in the half-sized tabloid format like the Pattaya Mail or smaller like Pattaya One.

Size doesn't matter, it's what you do with it that really counts!

Goodness.

I haven't visited the Thai Visa/Pattaya Forum for a few days and now I find it is overrun with Pattaya One news items, press releases, references, topics and the like, and 35,000 people have clicked on to read their Immigration "story" as well, for what may or may not be a news item. Nobody can seem to decide.

Am I missing something in this craziness? The paper hasn't been produced yet, and maybe it never will be. Who can tell in Pattaya.

So full marks to Mr Miller for obtaining more publicity for a thing that doesn't even exist yet, than I can recall for any other of the existing REAL publications in Pattaya combined. It's a crazy world all right.

It is like the South Sea Bubble.

And from the Pattaya Times article the other papers seem to be panicking, which is also entertaining to read. Maybe there will be a newspaper war?

But good luck with shaking up the market.

TCW