Thai Pol Gen Somkid To Get New Post After His 'Sacrifice'

webfact

CONSOLATION PRIZE

Somkid to get new post after his 'sacrifice'

By The Nation

gallery_327_1086_4263.jpg

'Willing retreat' lands him job of inspector general

BANGKOK: -- Pol Lt Gen Somkid Bunthanom will be handed an inspector-general post as consolation for his "willing retreat" from being made an assistant police chief in response to Saudi Arabia's stance against his promotion, the Police Commission ruled yesterday.

The commander of Regional Police Bureau 5 will take his new post, which is on the same level as his current post, next Friday, October 1. The 70-minute Police Commission meeting did not discuss why this post was earmarked for him. A vote of approval in Somkid's case was granted along with many other positions approved.

There are eight inspector-general posts in the Royal Thai Police. Somkid's office is within the main RTP compound in Bangkok.

Lt-General Jate Mongkholhatthee, the commander of the Bureau of Legal Affairs and Cases, takes over the assistant police chief post left by Somkid, and Bangkok police chief Lt-General Santhan Chayanont takes over at the bureau.

RTP spokesman Maj-General Prawut Thawornsiri said the Saudi Arabia issue was not discussed during the meeting nor was it part of the Police Commission's decision to hand Somkid the post.

The Regional Police Bureau 1 post has not yet been filled, after a recalculation of the seniority of candidate Maj-General Sriwara Rangsiphrammanakul. Former police chief Seri Temiyavej, who served on the Police Commission, proposed the recalculation. The issue needs to be resolved before next Friday, but a time frame has not been set for the process.

Somkid delivered his farewell speech in Chiang Mai yesterday through a radio interview before learning of the Police Commission's decision, saying that he only knew it was a post in Bangkok. He said he was proud of the many projects he was behind during his one-year leadership at the Chiang Mai-based Regional Police Bureau 5.

Somkid also cited his part in the disappearance of a Saudi businessman 20 years ago, saying that he was assigned to a police attempt to track jewellery that had gone missing in Thailand after it was stolen from a Saudi palace.

"There were a series of police investigations regarding the jewellery I was charged with, and next thing I know I became involved in the businessman disappearing."

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has praised Somkid for his "sacrifice" in not taking the assistant police chief post.

"His decision is a sacrifice, and it has given the government more options in maintaining relations with Saudi Arabia, and should result in all the relevant problems being sorted out later on," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-25

"There were a series of police investigations regarding the jewellery I was charged with, and next thing I know I became involved in the businessman disappearing."

Oh my heart bleeds. He's done rather well out of all of this. With all of the cream he can rake off on his new position he'll be able to feather his nest quite nicely.

A great hero who sacrifice for his country and people should be rewarded. Well done BiB, keep up the good work of upsetting the desert boys.

Begone foolish troll begone! Ah fuc_k it, putting you on ignore so I dont have to read your deliberate provocative posts, you must be attention starved to post like this so regularly, and stop pretending you are some young girl and not some fat old falang!

• Like 2

Im sure that will really fool the Saudi's. They will think he has been severely punished, and maybe even let Thailand keep the real jewels and they will accept the fake jewelry. This will be the longest running soap opera in history. Too bad it will never be shown on Thai TV. Its good to see that there are officials that will "sacrifice" themselves for the Thai people.

He said he was proud of the many projects he was behind during his one-year leadership at the Chiang Mai-based Regional Police Bureau 5.

What kind of projects he was behind?Did they include dissapearance of people and jewelery?

I think he was referring to the elimination of drug dealers and 'others' during the Thaksin administration's so called trigger happy eradication of drugs.

I know we are guests here and are totally ignored by Thai higher ups, but...

if all Thai politicians would just hold their tongues for a moment...run their idea by the TV crowd...let us show them how to spin their words...then maybe they wouldnt look like total tools.

Even the best writers in the world have an editor.

Even a farang half in the bag and half dead has better ideas than Thai politicians with a microphone in front of them. So please issue all TV members a work petmit and let us help you with rivers from China...temples in Cambodia...arms dealers from Russia...all Saudi problems...All your problems! How many times will you idiots keep touching the fire and expect not to get burned?

Let us friendly farang give you some advice...we care!

• Like 1

P.S. Wear a helmet...strap the chin strap and stop bumping your heads on hard surfaces.

Also apply the above while riding a moving 2 wheeled vehicle. Police and politicians should set examples and not take kickbacks...kill...steal and get promoted.

<br />
<br />A great hero who sacrifice for his country and people should be rewarded. Well done BiB, keep up the good work of upsetting the desert boys.<br />
<br /><br />Begone foolish troll begone!  Ah fuc_k it, putting you on ignore so I dont have to read your deliberate provocative posts, you must be attention starved to post like this so regularly, and stop pretending you are some young girl and not some fat old falang!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

It looks that the recipient of your anger must be someone working in a some government program or ministry. It is obvious that she sees nothing wrong with obvious wrongdoings of the current administration. She is really doing a disservice to Thailand in condoning egregious conduct. That is the reason most problems in Thailand are endemic. It is not polite to complaint. Let what's wrong continue to be wrong and smile. Pom mai khau jai

My twp Bahts.

A great hero who sacrifice for his country and people should be rewarded. Well done BiB, keep up the good work of upsetting the desert boys.

Begone foolish troll begone! Ah fuc_k it, putting you on ignore so I dont have to read your deliberate provocative posts, you must be attention starved to post like this so regularly, and stop pretending you are some young girl and not some fat old falang!

Nothing trollish about that. Read it again. I read it as sarcasm. Could be wrong.

If the guy is proved innocent, he should get the job he was promised, let the court decide if he is guilty or not, but, it looks like a particular part of the elite is living above the law and will never be prosecuted.

Still surprised he wasn't parked in an 'inactive' post for the time being. Don't tell me we are running out of them ;)?

Edited by rubl

"I'm sorry, since you had to turn down the Platinum Rolex, we'll give you a gold one instead. Is that okay with you? Please don't mind the 'Mohammad al-Ruwaili' engraving on the back. He probably won't be needing it anytime soon."

Edited by tomyummer

Nothing trollish about that. Read it again. I read it as sarcasm. Could be wrong.

Sadly, you are wrong - and it is unhelpful to credit said Troll poster with the benefit of sarcasm.

If the guy is proved innocent, he should get the job he was promised, let the court decide if he is guilty or not, but, it looks like a particular part of the elite is living above the law and will never be prosecuted.

You're too kind. 'particular part of the elite' should be 'most of the elite of any color or inclination'

No your wrong, its a falang guy deliberately saying the opposite of common sense in EVERY thread. He doesnt actually believe in what hes saying, hes just trying to cause havoc with his ridiculous words. The very definition of troll.

Sorry but i have to put my 2 pence worth in ! i personaly think he didnt give that job up ! i mean come on do you think he gives a hoot about thai - saudi relationships ? noooo!, i think the goverment lost face on the promtion part after realising the saudis where watching a bit more than they thought, so basicly told him hes not getting the job, but to save face he can step down from the offer and get another cushy job somewhere else ! I mean come on if thailand had its way they would put up a magic curtain so nobody can see whats going on, change everything, then bring it down again so nobody knows what happened !

No it has the earmarks of a true post from a Thai person -- incorrect English and blind nationalism.

quote name='chantorn'

unquote

No your wrong, its a falang guy deliberately saying the opposite of common sense in EVERY thread. He doesnt actually believe in what hes saying, hes just trying to cause havoc with his ridiculous words. The very definition of troll.

Judging by the replies he generates, a very successful one.

Sorry but i have to put my 2 pence worth in ! i personaly think he didnt give that job up ! i mean come on do you think he gives a hoot about thai - saudi relationships ? noooo!, i think the goverment lost face on the promtion part after realising the saudis where watching a bit more than they thought, so basicly told him hes not getting the job, but to save face he can step down from the offer and get another cushy job somewhere else ! I mean come on if thailand had its way they would put up a magic curtain so nobody can see whats going on, change everything, then bring it down again so nobody knows what happened !

Ah -- yes ! --- ' the emperor's new clothes "