How Many People Know You By Name?

mark45y

Was on a bus Friday and realized three people on the bus knew my name. I have always been a private person but with a public business. A lot of people knew me in the west and now even in Thailand. It is a bit unnerving to be shopping and hear ones name ring out over the clothes racks.

So, for those of you who live in Thailand how many people know your name?

A lot of foreigners know my name because they have visited my bookshop. I run into them all over Thailand, but a lot of Thais also know who I am and yell out "Gecko" no matter where I go. I try not to do anything too wild and crazy as there always someone watching. :ph34r:

Edited by Ulysses G.

I would think somewhere between 500 and 1000 Thais know my name. But I do use different names. When I go to a bar area I use a different name for each area. So that when I walk along with my GF and someone yells out, “Hey Gecko” I can tell my girlfriend that it is another handsome guy who looks like me and lives in Chiang Mai. I use the name “Ian” a lot too.

I'm always surprised when a girl I talked in a bar or eating place more than a year ago still remembers my name.

They also seem to know the name of evey girl I have ever associated with.

Really wierd!

It probably is not all they know about you.

One thing that annoys me a bit is when my Mrs son talks to his dad on the phone l am referred to, by the boy, as farang :ermm:. Everybody knows my name. Though l don't know what there talking about when finished l <deleted> him, he laughs. Perhaps this off topic and is another issue but..........

I think he loves you :whistling:

One thing that annoys me a bit is when my Mrs son talks to his dad on the phone l am referred to, by the boy, as farang :ermm:. Everybody knows my name. Though l don't know what there talking about when finished l <deleted> him, he laughs. Perhaps this off topic and is another issue but..........

If he calls you 'farang' you should call him 'tear ock pie' (kick out) .... he should get the hint!

I've been the only black teacher at 2 schools. the first had 4500 students and I taught ALL of them 1 year and 800 of them the following two years.

It's a girls school too. So now when I am in the mall and some lovely young lady shouts, XXXXXX (my name) I have to give my "teacher" smile cos like as not, its an ex student!

I've been to KK, BKK, and other places and had my name shouted out by individuals or groups of said young ladies. I used to worry that it made me look like a letch or something. No I figure people will think what they want, can't control it. I can't remember a time I visited the mall, lotus, a market or night bizzar and didn't get my name shouted out.

No private life for me then... :huh:

If he calls you 'farang' you should call him 'tear ock pie' (kick out) .... he should get the hint!

Nexrt time he asks for his allowance tell him he wilo get it when he shows he knows your name by using it correctly wen he refers to you. He will soon learn it....though you might find you are called the Mean Bas...d

I would be offended by that especially since he knows your name from what i understand if somone dont know your name and calls you farang its ok as a reference however if they know your name and still refer to you as farang thats when it becomes a derogatory term.

Considering that I've never hid my name behind a pseudonym, and I've posted photos of myself in various silly outfits (or lack of them), it's little wonder that people recognize me. I don't have anything to hide and I'll debate any subject with anyone. I'll even admit when I'm wrong... if someone can prove that it's so.

I've been the only black teacher at 2 schools. the first had 4500 students and I taught ALL of them 1 year and 800 of them the following two years.

It's a girls school too. So now when I am in the mall and some lovely young lady shouts, XXXXXX (my name) I have to give my "teacher" smile cos like as not, its an ex student!

I've been to KK, BKK, and other places and had my name shouted out by individuals or groups of said young ladies. I used to worry that it made me look like a letch or something. No I figure people will think what they want, can't control it. I can't remember a time I visited the mall, lotus, a market or night bizzar and didn't get my name shouted out.

No private life for me then... :huh:

If they call out your name, Loz, then that shows they liked you and appreciated your efforts as a teacher. Had they not liked you then they would have done the typical Thai response and turned their backs like they didn't notice you.

I like my privacy, and I think I do a decent job of maintaining it :whistling:

after living in the same house for about 10 years, one day the next door neighbour said to my Mom (who was visiting from out of town): oh we didnt know your daughter lives here :lol:

online is a different story.....with the amount of info I give away on this forum....it is so easy to identify me. sighhhhh

I would think somewhere between 500 and 1000 Thais know my name. But I do use different names. When I go to a bar area I use a different name for each area. So that when I walk along with my GF and someone yells out, "Hey Gecko" I can tell my girlfriend that it is another handsome guy who looks like me and lives in Chiang Mai. I use the name "Ian" a lot too.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for my morning laugh. :D

This might be slightly off topic but here goes,

Thai FIL has never addressed me by name,or indeed ever spoken a word of English.

However having paid to renovate his and the MILs house,they went over budget for the Roller up and over Front Door (20,000 plus)next time we went to the Village,he had suddenly learnt 2 words of English... "Door"... "Door" while raising both hands upwards in a pushing/raising motion.

At that point I thought of the perfect non confrontational answer in Thai, "Mai Ko Jai" and that has been used again and again by me many times over the years.

Seven years later the local Thai Teacher must still be wondering where his English Tuition went wrong with the FIL.

IMO Three of the best words to learn in Thai,

try it sometime,when you dont want to yet again, pay for something!

Footnote:..................... Im still the nameless Farang.Falang.