Blackish Stain On Painted Concrete

boatguy

Blackish Stain on Painted Concrete

I'm new to this Thai environment and desiring to repaint Thai wife's townhouse. Like so many other concrete structures I see around Thailand it has a large number of sizable blackish spots that I assume are associated with the very damp environment at times, and particularly when the concrete was new. In the states I've seen this in damp areas, and its recommended to use a product called Kilz prior to repainting.

What is the best treatment (and product) to use here in Thailand?

Lots of very good threads in the

"Do it yourself housing forum" and the

"Swimming Pool Forum".

Since you mentioned "Townhouse"

I assume there is not to much area to clean.

Since you intend to paint,

you could try common "bleach" (called Haiter in Thailand) or

"swimming pool chlorine"

(possibly get some from the condo maintenance people).

and the "Vixol bath cleaner" is a good suggestion.

In any instance do wear rubber gloves and safety glasses.

While the power washer will work,

it will blow off some paint,

and may be difficult to use in a confined area.

Not to mention the expense of purchase and storage.

There is a recent thread in the

"Do it yourself housing forum" with

recommendations for good paint brands.

BTW, you should not be doing the painting, hire a Thai to stay legal.

Cheers.

Edited by howto

...and the "Vixol bath cleaner" is a good suggestion.

I thought that sounded like good advice.

Cheers.

I'll have a look there.

BTW, does that mean you can not paint your own house legally? I can see where you would not want to be painting houses as a side business...but painting your own ?? ( I am employing some Thai people to do the painting, but I wonder about this 'working on your own property' situation)

Also since I am involved with sailing boat designs around the world, does that mean I should not (legally) participate in that endeavor while in retirement to Thailand?? It's not as though I am taking any job away from a Thai person with this career ?? In fact I may bring some yacht building projects to Thailand by recommendation. I shouldn't think this would be objectionable to the Thai government...to bring more job related work.

Cheers.

I'll have a look there.

BTW, does that mean you can not paint your own house legally? I can see where you would not want to be painting houses as a side business...but painting your own ?? ( I am employing some Thai people to do the painting, but I wonder about this 'working on your own property' situation)

Also since I am involved with sailing boat designs around the world, does that mean I should not (legally) participate in that endeavor while in retirement to Thailand?? It's not as though I am taking any job away from a Thai person with this career ?? In fact I may bring some yacht building projects to Thailand by recommendation. I shouldn't think this would be objectionable to the Thai government...to bring more job related work.

Painting, no you can't by Thai law

even with a work permit.

As to "sailing boat designs", see the Visa Forum

and also ask TV sponsors

Sun Belt Asia or Issan Lawyers.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers.

I'll have a look there.

Painting, no you can't by Thai law

even with a work permit.

As to "sailing boat designs", see the Visa Forum

and also ask TV sponsors

Sun Belt Asia or Issan Lawyers.

Send me to jail now...I've been painting my own house, fence walls, etc., for years. When you are painting your own house, you are not working/earning money. Guess I better also stop cutting my own grass, triming my hedges/trees, fixing my SUV, fixing may electrical/plumbing, etc.

Send me to jail now...I've been painting my own house, fence walls, etc., for years. When you are painting your own house, you are not working/earning money. Guess I better also stop cutting my own grass, triming my hedges/trees, fixing my SUV, fixing may electrical/plumbing, etc.

You are lucky. Foreigners in Thailand cannot even bathe themselves. It will be considered working and depriving the girls in the turkish baths their vocation...:jap: