Win Xp,7,Or Vista

straycat911

I am looking for opinion, which is the best operating system for microsoft systems

Please dont tell me, change to mac, or load linix systems,

i am currently on XP but thinking about formatting and loading another one, but if they say XP is best, then i wont

thank you

I am looking for opinion, which is the best operating system for microsoft systems

Please dont tell me, change to mac, or load linix systems,

i am currently on XP but thinking about formatting and loading another one, but if they say XP is best, then i wont

thank you

What do you expect form this?

... some say XP is better some say 7 is better. noone say Vista is better...But that you already knew...

Truth is all of them are going to make you unhappy an one point...

And no, I'm not going to tell you to load "linix" system because you are not going to do it anyway, but if you did install a decent distro of GNU/Linux, you will be happier... And you wouldn't need my advice anyway...

Martin

Why don't you try Linu.....oh sorry!

Since you don't want to try my favourite OS I would recommend going with Win7. XP is getting extremely long in the tooth, and while it is faster than the other two options you're considering (although Win98SE is even faster), there are all sorts of security holes and missing technology.

Win7 feels faster than Vista and doesn't nag as much in regards to UAC.

Linux does not let me do some things that windows does that is why i dont wish to use it, at least thats what i heard

What may that be?

well i cant go into detains on what does and what doesnt, it just what some people told me, if it works same as windows, then maybe i will go out and try linux, if so, what is the best linux

Linux does not let me do some things that windows does that is why i dont wish to use it, at least thats what i heard

What may that be?

well i cant go into detains on what does and what doesnt, it just what some people told me, if it works same as windows, then maybe i will go out and try linux, if so, what is the best linux

Many opinions in this matter.... My favorite is Gentoo but I would not recommend people to use it...

Go for Ubuntu or Mint... made to be trouble free solution... but Mint is not my cup of tea so we have to ask the "mint guys" what version they recommend.... probably Isadora Gnome 64 or 32

Martin

Edited by siamect

What may that be?

Many opinions in this matter.... My favorite is Gentoo but I would not recommend people to use it...

Go for Ubuntu or Mint... made to be trouble free solution... but Mint is not my cup of tea so we have to ask the "mint guys" what version they recommend.... probably Isadora

Martin

thank you

check your system specs before switching to Windows 7;

my old laptop can run Win 7 without Aero

played with Win 7 for a while but the learning curve is rather steep

although you are not going to include Linux as part of your consideration, I would try and get a copy of Ubuntu;boot it up and run it without any installation; try it and you may like it

I've actually been playing around with Mint here recently and for an Ubuntu derivative it's rather nice.

Codec support out of the box was good. In fact it played some blu-ray rips that I had on my hard drive without issue.

Bad side is that it uses a form of the 'slab' style menu which I hate on any OS (to include XP->7, SuSE's default, etc). Also an update (perhaps my fault) broke the vdpau....

Here's the 32 bit version. It is 674 MB. Cool thing is that it's a "LiveCD" which means that you can put it in your cd drive, restart your computer and run it. It won't touch your HDD until you tell it to install.

What may that be?

Try intuitive and ease of use, not to mention the eye candy.

But each to his own. ;)

Edited by BB1950

What may that be?

Try intuitive and ease of use, not to mention the eye candy.

Try harder.....that's the weaknesses of Win7... well some of them....

Edited by siamect

For the non-geeks, Windows 7 is far more intuitive with far less to learn. I know all my computer illiterate friends caught on to Windows 7 practically instantly while they were still struggling with Windows XP. They love all the eye candy and how quickly Windows 7 boots. Windows 7 automates a lot of maintenance automatically and is much more secure, so they can worry less. They don't need to learn 'Geek Speak'.

Office 2010 with Windows 7 is extremely fast and is the closest thing to perfect WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) I have seen.

Prior to upgrading to Windows 7, you should download and install the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor available here from Microsoft. It will tell you if you have any software/hardware incompatibility issues and offer suggestions how to resolve them prior to obtaining Windows 7.

You will find most of the naysayers haven't really used Windows 7. Yeah, Windows 7 isn't perfect, but then again no operating system is perfect.

Most geeks will have a problem adapting at first, because they are use to being geeks and have invested a lot of time in learning Windows XP's quirks. They will hate the new security restrictions and the new ways of doing things they do quite commonly. But after a few months of intensive use, they sway towards Windows 7. I have to admit, I was one of them. Now I won't go back!

Windows 7 does require more installed memory, 1 Gig minimum 2 Gig should be suffiencient for most people. It also requires a good graphics adapter with a GPU (graphics processor unit). In particular to use the Aero features. Both of these days are inexpensive. However upgrading graphic adapters in notebooks is more of a problem.

Edited by BB1950

For the non-geeks, Windows 7 is far more intuitive with far less to learn. I know all my computer illiterate friends caught on to Windows 7 practically instantly while they were still struggling with Windows XP. They love all the eye candy and how quickly Windows 7 boots. Windows 7 automates a lot of maintenance automatically and is much more secure, so they can worry less. They don't need to learn 'Geek Speak'.

Office 2010 with Windows 7 is extremely fast and is the closest thing to perfect WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) I have seen.

Prior to upgrading to Windows 7, you should download and install the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor available here from Microsoft. It will tell you if you have any software/hardware incompatibility issues and offer suggestions how to resolve them prior to obtaining Windows 7.

You will find most of the naysayers haven't really used Windows 7. Yeah, Windows 7 isn't perfect, but then again no operating system is perfect.

Most geeks will have a problem adapting at first, because they are use to being geeks and have invested a lot of time in learning Windows XP's quirks. They will hate the new security restrictions and the new ways of doing things they do quite commonly. But after a few months of intensive use, they sway towards Windows 7. I have to admit, I was one of them. Now I won't go back!

Windows 7 does require more installed memory, 1 Gig minimum 2 Gig should be suffiencient for most people. It also requires a good graphics adapter with a GPU (graphics processor unit). In particular to use the Aero features. Both of these days are inexpensive. However upgrading graphic adapters in notebooks is more of a problem.

Hi bb is it possible to instal aero on wxp prof,end if yes hown to do it

thanks johnyb

Hi bb is it possible to instal aero on wxp prof,end if yes hown to do it

thanks johnyb

Well Windows XP did support transparency and there are some Windows XP transformation kits that attempt to give the Aero effect. I've tried some, but I really wasn't impressed, so I won't recommend any.

Aero really requires a high perfomance GPU, more Memory, and an OS that really supports the enhanced graphics technology.

Windows XP has been around for 7 years. Much of the graphics technology has improved dramatically. It really required a revamp of the OS. It was first introduced in Vista Ultimate, but it was still not impressive (slow and sluggish) because Vista was still using some of XP's graphics technology. Hence Windows 7 was optimized to make it shine.

By the way, it cannot be activated in Windows 7 if your hardware does not pass the minimum performance rating. By the way there's a huge amount of misleading information saying that Aero is not available on Windows 7 Home Premium. That is 100% incorrect. Aero is available, but you need to have hardware to support it. Only the starter version of Windows 7does not support Aero. The starter version is geared for low end netbook computers.

Edited by BB1950

If it's a PC you're using, simply install a second hard drive and install Win 7 on that. That way, you'll have a dual boot system.

If you're using a laptop, you can remove XP, install Win 7 and then shrink the partition by 40GB and reinstall XP on that. Again, you've got dual boot system at your disposal which might be useful someday.

Personally though, I will not be destroying my beloved XP Pro until my motherboard gives up the ghost. There's just too much unnecessary scrolling for my liking on Win 7 when navigating the menus, primarily because Microsoft removed the classic menu option which is still available in Win XP.

Neither do I like the Win 7 control panel. It's a jumbled up mess and requires you to claw your way through 4 columns of data and read from left to right across each column which is complete madness in my opinion. It would have been much better to list each column alphabetically, but oh no, why make things easy when you can make them difficult. That's been Microsoft's philosophy from day one and it continues to this day.

post-101376-056782900 1285614927_thumb.p

If it's a PC you're using, simply install a second hard drive and install Win 7 on that. That way, you'll have a dual boot system.

If you're using a laptop, you can remove XP, install Win 7 and then shrink the partition by 40GB and reinstall XP on that. Again, you've got dual boot system at your disposal which might be useful someday.

Personally though, I will not be destroying my beloved XP Pro until my motherboard gives up the ghost. There's just too much unnecessary scrolling for my liking on Win 7 when navigating the menus, primarily because Microsoft removed the classic menu option which is still available in Win XP.

Neither do I like the Win 7 control panel. It's a jumbled up mess and requires you to claw your way through 4 columns of data and read from left to right across each column which is complete madness in my opinion. It would have been much better to list each column alphabetically, but oh no, why make things easy when you can make them difficult. That's been Microsoft's philosophy from day one and it continues to this day.

Why don't you just change the view to one less "messy"

Aero really requires a high perfomance GPU,

Not at all. An old graphics card like the GeForce 6200 AGP can handle Aero just fine.

Windows XP has been around for 7 years.

More like 9 years...

XP was released in August 2001.

Much of the graphics technology has improved dramatically. It really required a revamp of the OS. It was first introduced in Vista Ultimate, but it was still not impressive (slow and sluggish) because Vista was still using some of XP's graphics technology.

Microsoft completely ditched their old graphics rendering engine in Vista. However, there were some problems; see GDI and Direct2D hardware acceleration.

Aero really requires a high perfomance GPU,

Not at all. An old graphics card like the GeForce 6200 AGP can handle Aero just fine.

Windows XP has been around for 7 years.

More like 9 years...

XP was released in August 2001.

Much of the graphics technology has improved dramatically. It really required a revamp of the OS. It was first introduced in Vista Ultimate, but it was still not impressive (slow and sluggish) because Vista was still using some of XP's graphics technology.

Microsoft completely ditched their old graphics rendering engine in Vista. However, there were some problems; see GDI and Direct2D hardware acceleration.

Thank you, I stand corrected. :jap: