PM Abhisit Unfazed By Thai Leadership Talk

webfact

PM Unfazed by leadership talk

By The Nation

Debate about successors 'natural given circumstances'

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva was unperturbed yesterday about renewed speculation that coalition partners and his own party had discussed a replacement for him.

Abhisit said it was normal for such speculation to arise given the Democrats were facing a party dissolution case.

"They may simply speculate what to do if this or that happens. It's normal to be so," Abhisit said.

He laughed and said "I don't know" when reporters asked him to confirm whether the Democrats had discussed nominating Finance Minister and Democrat deputy leader Korn Chatikavanij or Democrat chief adviser Chuan Leekpai as the new prime minister if the party was dissolved and he was banned from politics for five years.

He said he was not worried by the speculation about his position.

"I don't feel shaken because everything will unfold in line with the system," Abhisit said, adding that he didn't feel under pressure by political manoeuvring either.

"I don't attach importance to such things but am focusing on my work. There are several things that need to be done urgently. For example, we will need to rush to implement new policies in regard to the country's structure."

He also dismissed the possibility a political vacuum would occur, which rivals might be able to take advantage of.

"It won't happen because everything will happen in line with the system. We have the parliamentary system and everything is governed by the Constitution. If the government or I are put out of office, it will happen in line with clear-cut constitutional rules so we should not be worried too much," the PM said.

Meanwhile, Interior Minister and Bhum Jai Thai Party leader Chaovarat Chanweerakul said yesterday it was possible a realignment of political power could occur if the Democrats were dissolved.

When asked if Bhum Jai Thai would join hands with Chat Thai Pattana and Pheu Thai to form a new coalition government, Chaovaratsaid: "It needs partners in politics to create stability so anything could happen."

But he said he would not be qualified to be prime minister of any new coalition because he was not an MP.

Chaovarat said it was impossible that Bhum Jai Thai would always partner the Democrats. "Sometimes, we can go together but sometimes, we cannot".

When asked to confirm speculation that Bhum Jai Thai would support Chat Thai Pattana's Deputy Prime Minister Sanan Kachornprasart as a new prime minister, Chaovarat said: "When a prime minister is dead, it doesn't mean that we won't be able to find a new one."

Also yesterday, Bhum Jai Thai spokesman Supachai Jaisamut denied the party planned to invite former Thai Rak Thai Party executive Somkid Jatusripithak as its new leader. Supachai said Somkid had been banned from politics for five years and the party still supported Chaovarat as leader.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-27

I would bet the PM would welcome a break from the crap he has had to put up with during his time as PM. He has not been supported, directives issued were ignored, his party are yes men to the power of police and army alike and he is a lone man standing for what Thailand needs and many Thai's can see that. Take the break boss and go rest up. No point in trying to preach to the ignorant and arrogant. Let them fight their own battles and see what the next decade brings. Let the reds run the country. That'll work! Morons. cool.gif