Pigs 101 (A Start)

IsaanAussie

I would start with a pure race sow. What breed depending a bit on the available boar or sperm. Often a pure Duroc.Later you can use gilts as a new sow.

My experience with growers.

Duroc and duroc-landrace grow quick until 90 kg. If you have a market for 70kg-100 kg they are great. For me 10-100 in 120 days average.

Largewhite and largewhite-duroc are great for 120+kg. They grow large but not fat until 90kg after which they quickly gain bulk. They take a bit longer but in. 5 months they grow bigger then duroc-Landrace.

Anyone knows a place near khon kaen where i could purchase a pure race sows?

how do i go about it?

Sent from my i-mobile i-style 7.1 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

hi all . hope you understand this question.

if you buy a pigglet you buy an item at a given price ,, say 1000 - 1500

but if you buy a young pig you buy by the kg,,

my question is at what stage or age does a pigglet item become a kg item, instead of a single animal is there a rough age group or size

the reason i ask this is i know people with pigglets for sale they have too many to keep and more on the way, my new shed is about one week from finishing

is it better to buy weaned pigglets or wait until they are a little older

sorry for the dribble

mick

hi all . hope you understand this question.

if you buy a pigglet you buy an item at a given price ,, say 1000 - 1500

but if you buy a young pig you buy by the kg,,

my question is at what stage or age does a pigglet item become a kg item, instead of a single animal is there a rough age group or size

the reason i ask this is i know people with pigglets for sale they have too many to keep and more on the way, my new shed is about one week from finishing

is it better to buy weaned pigglets or wait until they are a little older

sorry for the dribble

mick

Your questions could get a wide range of answers as different people use different terms. Here's my take. I term a weaner as a piglet just off the teat and up to 15 kg, stage 1 grower from 15 to 30 kg, stage 2 grower 30 to 60, stage 1 finisher 60 to 80 kg and stage 2 finisher 80 to 100kg. If you are just starting buy stage 1 growers as they have passed the problems of diet change to solids and gained weight. At 15 kg good piglets really start to grow quickly and can be accomodated in adult pig pens, just give they a step and they can even use the drinkers.

• Like 2

Hi Mick,

The prices of piglets as shown on for instance swinethailand are based one 15 kg piglets. I myself find these too expensive so I often by smaller ones. But the by kg prices of these are often high so I offer a fixed price for complete litters or batches of for instance 20 pigs of different sizes. I don't get into weighing games since I would make minimal profit for maximum risk. Instead I take the complete batch of their hand giving them an instance profit. Since I take the risk of deads, disease and dropping prices I get a large discount compared to by kg prices.

At the farm split them up by size and feed type. Similar to the weights IA described.

But 3more categories. 3-6, 6-10 and 10-15 kg. All these need special milk containing feed like Belac or SPM105plus.

The smallest sizes also meed intensive monitoring and must not get wet or cold. Vitamins and medication for lung and intention problems are often needed and given in water feed orally or injected. But since they are cheap you can make a good profit even with a few deaths. But for the first times go with bigger piglets so you can learn.

PS, even 3Kg weaners can use the nipple drinkers if they are low enough.

Edited by revar

Hi Mick,,I breed pigs,but have fallen short on numbers ,so i have bought some in from a biggish farm in Buri-Ram 16 kilo for the piglet +63 bt for extra kilo;s, I prefer to buy big .i ordered 25 kilo ,but they turned up today at 23 kilo,, at this weight ,,i do not have to buy the expensive 20 %(685 bt) feed , they can start on 18 % feed (15 -30 ,kilo)bar from any sickness,they will be ready for sale in 3 months.As for 1 of your others questions,i can never buy piglets/pigs over 25 kilo from quiet a few big farms,They grow them there selves from there, ,If you can, buy your feed in bulk as i do to get discounts..As I.A says you could get a wide range of answers.

good luck Ian.

Coxy, 16000 for 23 kg is very good.I also prefer bigger ones but use small ones you drive the price down. Do you not select the piglets yourself?

sorry they are not that cheap,they are 1600 bt for the 16 kilo + 63 Bbt for extra kilo,so these piglets cost,2041 baht each,i am not at the farm at the moment,but the man i who got them for me is very reliable,he works for the THAI/DENMARK company where i get my gilts/sows from,this company does not sell piglets,but the salesman knows a lot of farms that he sells to where i can get piglets,this farm he got these from has 300 sows, and is know building to to get 200 more,the salesman has asked when i go back to Surin if i would like to go and have a look at this farm as its not to far Buri-ram,which i will do. i now have 30 breeding sows of my own,so it will be interesting to go have a look.

when i used to but in a lot of piglets, i bought from a huge farm in Buriram,several thousand sows,now way would they let you into the farm,i ordered what i wanted e.g 30 ,18 kilo piglets,all barrows,they would come out of the farm on 1 of there trucks that went onto the scales at the office and pay and take them from there,always top quality,i used to buy of a smallish farm 100 sows where i could pick the piglets,but he never had to many there as he had regular customers who ordered the piglets in bulk from himpost-109249-0-85957600-1369895488_thumb. i can,t wait to see my new piglets from this boar in about a month smile.png

]post-109249-0-82432000-1369990509_thumb.post-109249-0-45952100-1369992446_thumb.

they do not sell piglets from there farm ,they only sell gilts .my wife has called the salesman to ask about 1 blood ,which i did not know they had, 18,000, bt for a gilt(large white).100 kilo plus,,,i have always bought 2 bloods.large white/landrace which are 80 + kilo which are 7500 baht (i paid 9000 2 years ago), which are very good when you add Duroc to them.,for strong quick growing pigs with good meat/(skin is thin and fat minimal if that is what you want) as long as you feed them on good food,this farm is in Khorat,if you would like the sales mans tel no. inbox me.

Coxy, i can purchase piglets and sows from that thai-danish farm?

how much would it cost a large white sow, aprox.

lets say second time around ready pregnant,

cheers Ian

• Like 1

hi, thanks for all the answers regarding the kg . v pigglet sale or buy,

sorry for the late reply to you all but i use the internet shop and i have been busy finishing the sty,,

i got my first 9 pigglets 4 days ago 1100 bht each i have room for about 40 / 50 but want to start off slow

we have people in yasathorn wanting to sell us pigglets and people just next door but the thai guy next door knows how much i spent on the farm so his prices are up.

there seems to be quite a few pigglets for sale and touch wood the ones i have got are doing fine there about 13- 16 kg

one needs his balls removing he is scratching the femals when jumping on them all the time so ill see the vet up the soi tomorrow

iv had big problems with the thai builders putting the shed together if you know the term tits on a bull you will understand

each time we went to roiet for items we needed to build they took it into there own heads what i wanted ,, not what i told them i wanted,

they just dont get it ,,, but its nearly finished now, thank christ

regards mick

• Like 1

Detect the Oz in you? Anyway,think about when you want to get your next batch of piglets. If I could suggest something, buy another 9 or so each month. That way you will not get stuck with 50 finished pigs all at once. Depends on how many pens you have. The little boar is just playing, he will not get serious until he is 4 months at least. If you are going to cut him do it quick a 20 kg piglet is a handful. But I would again suggest you get an opinion on the animal first, you may just have a potential breeder as Thais usually castrate at about a week old when they are easy and he may have been held back just in case.

thanks for the advice tony and hope things are on the up and up for you now,

i have 7 pens, 4 mts x 4.5 mts and two smaller at 4mts x 2.5 mts. i also built a shower / toilet. and a room to use for storage or sleeping if things start to go missing.

its a bit like your place about 400 meters from our house so things could go walkabout at any time.

regards mick

thanks for the advice tony and hope things are on the up and up for you now,

i have 7 pens, 4 mts x 4.5 mts and two smaller at 4mts x 2.5 mts. i also built a shower / toilet. and a room to use for storage or sleeping if things start to go missing.

its a bit like your place about 400 meters from our house so things could go walkabout at any time.

regards mick

Well then be the same as me. That crazy old farang who will either tell the police or beat you up if you borrow something from him. The man is nuts!

Boys I'm back! Well never really went away but been too busy to get near the net. Just made a nice little earner on the last lot and currently got 16 piggies for the price of 14, no not expensive and free delivery. Looking good after 2 weeks :-)

I got offered a very handsome specimen near Surin the other day and at 800 baht I thought it was a snip. So strangely enough didn't buy it! More wild boar than pig.

post-131672-0-75543900-1370584811_thumb.

Edited by MrChangers
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fellow Pigsters, I am new to this forum and not surprisingly have a few questions. I am about to launch a small free-range, pasture -fed organic pig farm in Chaing Mai. Can anyone give me any information regarding buying livestock? I am also looking for a good fencing outlet.

I would be interested in the post by IsaanAussie regarding forming a cooperative.

I have a friend who has just set up his own purchasing forum having previously been one of the main buyers for Makro (meats)Thailand. His intenton is to form a collective and perhaps help to cultivate (excuse the pun) a better understanding of the organic market.

My project is intended as an active and healthy retirement hobby. Time will tell whether that intention can be borne out.

I would like to thank you in advance for your support and any information you can offer.

• Like 2

Hi Fellow Pigsters, I am new to this forum and not surprisingly have a few questions. I am about to launch a small free-range, pasture -fed organic pig farm in Chaing Mai. Can anyone give me any information regarding buying livestock? I am also looking for a good fencing outlet.

I would be interested in the post by IsaanAussie regarding forming a cooperative.

I have a friend who has just set up his own purchasing forum having previously been one of the main buyers for Makro (meats)Thailand. His intenton is to form a collective and perhaps help to cultivate (excuse the pun) a better understanding of the organic market.

My project is intended as an active and healthy retirement hobby. Time will tell whether that intention can be borne out.

I would like to thank you in advance for your support and any information you can offer.

Like the company name Grunts. What breed of pigs do you intend to raise? Are you going to breed? What numbers? How many rai? Housing arrangements?

Very interested in your friends purchasing forum.

• Like 2

Hi IsaanAussie, and thanks for your speedy response. I have an idea to start small with only 3-5 weaners using either Gloucester Old spot or Large Whites. This depends on what I can purchase within a reasonable distance of the farm. I will not consider breeding until my 2nd or even 3rd cycle. I have around 7 rai to work with at the moment and have not decided on housing yet. I will make a move towards semi-retirement in December 2012 and then will have a little more time to develop this hobby.

The name of the company is Mootopia!

• Like 1

Just for your personal info, grunts, as you mention Chiang Mai.

A real shyster conned several investors into investing into a free range pig project a few years ago, here in Chiang Mai. If you happen to meet some of the "bitten investors", you will understand some negative comments, etc. If your from any of the Baltic area it could be more angonizing for them.

• Like 1

Hi IsaanAussie, and thanks for your speedy response. I have an idea to start small with only 3-5 weaners using either Gloucester Old spot or Large Whites. This depends on what I can purchase within a reasonable distance of the farm. I will not consider breeding until my 2nd or even 3rd cycle. I have around 7 rai to work with at the moment and have not decided on housing yet. I will make a move towards semi-retirement in December 2012 and then will have a little more time to develop this hobby.

The name of the company is Mootopia!

In ChiangMai, best place to get advice and quality stock IMHO http://www.surinpigfarm.com/ . Go see Randall Ellis, he will show what is what.

• Like 2

Just for your personal info, grunts, as you mention Chiang Mai.

A real shyster conned several investors into investing into a free range pig project a few years ago, here in Chiang Mai. If you happen to meet some of the "bitten investors", you will understand some negative comments, etc. If your from any of the Baltic area it could be more angonizing for them.

You didnt get burnt on that did you Slapout? Doubt it, but you make a good point, the pig industry is never easy and not often profitable above subsistence farming incomes. Too many people forget or failto check recent history as soon as prices rise. I am taking a break and growing mushrooms in my sty, better to stay in the dark and be fed bullshit than listen to the hype.

Edited by IsaanAussie
  • Like 2

No, I always made a point of telling people that I did not need help in making mistakes with my hard earned funds, I have been known to do quite well, myself. Now if the proper looking damsel , under proper conditions came along, I try to leave some wiggle room.

• Like 1

No, I always made a point of telling people that I did not need help in making mistakes with my hard earned funds, I have been known to do quite well, myself. Now if the proper looking damsel , under proper conditions came along, I try to leave some wiggle room.

That's it mate, Shyt-hawks and Shysters need not apply. This lemon can squeeze his own juice.

• Like 1

Again fellow Pigsters, I thank you for your assistance.

And I thank 'Slapout' for opening my eyes to the possible dark side of farming.

If only they would put their obvious talents (????!!??) to the betterment of the system, we could all be riding high on the hog! I do realise I am not going to get rich with this farm.

However, there are more advantages than disadvantages to initiating it and enjoying it.

After 10 years of office work and 27 years of teaching and administration I am due a change of environment.

I will take a look at the Surin farm site and get myself over there at the earliest.

The initial motivation for this organic farm project came from my parents who had a lovely little smallholding in South Wales.

More recently my inspiration has come from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and his Riverside Cottage Project. https://www.rivercottage.net/shop/product/online-pigs-and-pork-course/ Can't wait to get started in Chiang Mai.

• Like 2