Pigs 101 (A Start)

IsaanAussie

I had a win a few days ago,

we were in the local market passing the veggie section and i saw some bags of veggie leaf stacked up waiting to be picked up by the garbo truck

so i got the missus to ask around what they do with the offcuts,

Now i get about 50 kg of fresh off cut veggie leaf for 10 bht bagged and deliverd to the toyota,,

also a banana seller sells me big bags of over ripe or black bananas for the younger pigs for 40 bht for about 20 + kg

havent found many young piglets for sale this week but i can get some 28day old on the 14th of this month,, 1500 each and some six days later same price same mooban

does anyone look on mooyaso.net ? its thai language but maybe the wife can read it,, plenty of links on there also

regards mike

hi doctor,

just be carefull with your veg cuttings, i used to get them just the same as you and thought it was great,

but please remember how much pestacide i sprayed on them over here!!

i still give our veg but only what we grow ourselfs,

jake

G'day fellas for the guys who have been following my saga I think the purchase of a B320 sledge hammer on Sunday and telling my misses to tell her brother I will be smashing down the pig sheds on Monday proved to be fruitfull. Funny enough Sunday night I was told I can come down Monday morning to pick up money for 10 pigs. I ended up getting paid in Gold and cash and now just waiting on money for 4 more pigs, they said end of month and the money for pig shed that was never built which they promised by end of June latest.

We will see if he can acheive those time lines but I am getting the money owed to me slowly and not going to give up easily.

End of the day I wont be happy about being out of the the pig business as it was a nice little earner for me and I was ready to invest more money on infrastructure and the purchace of more pigs but if yah cannot trust ya partner ???

If interested the way he was running the pig farm for me I was just the land owner and investor he was buying piglets around the 14kg mark for around B1500 t0 B1600 and B500 tranportation costs as he cant drive. Then the cost of feed per pig to get them to sell weight in 3 and a half months was about B3000 if we kept the pigs longer than that he would pay and take it out of my profits.

Basically it was costing me B4500 to get the pigs to sell weight (maybe a liitle bit more if they required medicine which was rarely and if we kept them over time), and what ever the going price a KG at the time we would sell the pigs for taking off a few baht a kg for reasons I dont know why ???

I think he used to sell too the local meat sellers who used to drive around the villages selling the pig meat and local special events when they occurred and always used to get the money about a week later untill recently.

Out of the profits he got 50%+ and I got 50%- and at current pig prices it was a good profit making business for the both of us I think most people would agree.

@puffafish. Did they mention anything about raising pigs still when you met them on Monday night to collect the money?

If they are using gold and cash to pay you, it might be that pig farming is a crucial income source to them.

Since now they know that they can't F around with you and get away it with, maybe you can consider giving this pig raising and them another chance to prove their worth?

Its a pity to let go of an income source and from your words, i think you feel the same too.

Just my thoughts on it thou....

Guys, stop thinking farang logic. Start thinking village family style.

I am sure most of us have been through much the same sort of situation before, at least once! Get angry you loose, is the western saying. In Isaan it is the same, you loose "face". We would call it credibility. Tough to get it back. Yeah, the money is a factor, but not the show stopper we treat it as, just another commodity. Something if you aren't using it, you don't need. Bit like the second hand tools you would give away or throw out without a thought.

Ask yourself, where is the refunded money for the new sty going to come from? If he hasn't got it now, where will it come from once the rice crop bills start coming in? Pass the problem onto another "family" member? Perhaps the original money was needed more somewhere else?

• Like 1

Very simply...

Face = Credibility / Embarrassment in other usage like causing one to loose face.

Bigger the Face bigger the Credibility.

Pay on time = Good credits.

Pay before dead line = Better credits and always a chance to bigger credit amount.

But if there's no interest rate being charge... Rest assured, you will get paid last in line or not at all.

Trust... it's a word full of suspicious~

Edited by RedBullHorn
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, this is Chiang Mai Pig Farmer! Surin Farm

Great news today - we were awarded the Number 1 Thai Government Livestock Office Contract Pig Farm in Thailand.

For your information: if anyone in the north of Thailand, especially those close to Chiang Mai, want to take part in a free range Thai Government Livestock Office black pig free range venture please let me know.

Thanks,

Randy at Surin Farm

Congratulations Randall, well done. I wish you continued success.

• Like 2

Nutterz64,

welcome to pigs 101

many happy days to follow im sure just take the good with the bad,

80bht per kg your other half did well ,, we sold 2 for the same reason as you to some locals and my missus asked how much can i go down ,,, i got 75 bht were near roiet ,, cheeky thai's get this, i went down from my 76 to 75 per kg because it was locals,, then the bin came to for 2 pige 13,275bht so i dropped the 75bht making it 13,200bht ,, im a nice guy ,, ah ,, so when mr thai is counting his payment to me he gives me 13,100,, and winks !!! i said one more 100bht please,, winks again

no money comes so i ask again 100 bht ,, now they have long faces,, so i say

i went down from 76 to 75,, for you, i dropped 75 bht from the bin total ,, for you,, i lent you my crate to take the pigs ,,[ they brought one crate for 2 pigs but the crate they brought didnt have a floor in it so the pig could stand on the floor not the scale,,i kept saying put the pigs feet on the scales ,,eventually i got four legs on the scales] ,,, and we had agreed on 75 ,,, now you want to change the ground rules,, and keep another 100 ,, sorry ,, cannot

problem was i was alone at the farm as per usual so they try it on all the time ,, limited thai language, no english

but i got my crate back today

regards M

• Like 2

Nutterz64,

welcome to pigs 101

80bht per kg your other half did well ,, we sold 2 for the same reason as you to some locals and my missus asked how much can i go down ,,, i got 75 bht were near roiet ,, cheeky thai's get this, i went down from my 76 to 75 per kg because it was locals,, then the bin came to for 2 pige 13,275bht so i dropped the 75bht making it 13,200bht ,, im a nice guy ,, ah ,, so when mr thai is counting his payment to me he gives me 13,100,, and winks !!! i said one more 100bht please,, winks again

i went down from 76 to 75,, for you, i dropped 75 bht from the bin total ,, for you,, i lent you my crate to take the pigs ,,[ they brought one crate for 2 pigs but the crate they brought didnt have a floor in it so the pig could stand on the floor not the scale,,i kept saying put the pigs feet on the scales ,,eventually i got four legs on the scales] ,,, and we had agreed on 75 ,,, now you want to change the ground rules,, and keep another 100 ,, sorry ,, cannot

problem was i was alone at the farm as per usual so they try it on all the time ,, limited thai language, no english

regards M

post-42398-0-46932900-1399208104.jpg

• Like 2

Nutterz64,

welcome to pigs 101

regards M

Thanks Mike. Yeah, I think it was also because she came from a position of strength. She did not really want to sell yet as they are not quite at finished weight. She was happy for the buyers to walk away. Because she has a reliable buyer to take bulk orders she felt no pressure to give a great deal. As it was she dropped from her original start of 82 down to 80. Of course we are not likely to get that price from her usual buyer but he will take all available with no fuss and no problems with money. Glad you got your crate back. :)

• Like 2

Hi Nutterz,

I wish you well with the farm. Thanks for the thoughts by the way, I'm pleased you have got some value from our ramblings. It is great that the topic continues and that you guys are seeing some positive results and are making some money at the moment. Stick with it guys, and please keep your eyes and ears open. Lent is not so far away.

IA

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Have anyone encounter piglets with skin-problems like in the attachment? About 15 % of our piglet got skin problems (15 - 20 piglets/months). We have had this problem for about two months now and the good thing is that it is not increasing. Just a few of them die the rest recover before they reach 25 kg. Even if they recover it has a negative preformens impact as well as economics, so I need to find a cure.

post-110173-0-28078100-1400431569_thumb.

post-110173-0-42369900-1400431909_thumb.

Have anyone encounter piglets with skin-problems like in the attachment? About 15 % of our piglet got skin problems (15 - 20 piglets/months). We have had this problem for about two months now and the good thing is that it is not increasing. Just a few of them die the rest recover before they reach 25 kg. Even if they recover it has a negative preformens impact as well as economics, so I need to find a cure.

Jompa67, I am no expert but here is a description of PRNS from thepigsite.

PDNS - Another syndrome that appears to be related to PCV2 infection is porcine dermatitis and nephropathy syndrome (PDNS). Pigs affected by this condition generally remain alert and non-feverish but have numerous dime-sized, ulcerative, raised lesions on their skin, most frequently on the flank, rear legs, and belly. These lesions may coalesce and be covered by a crusty, black scab. PDNS may be fatal or pigs may spontaneously recover without treatment.

On post-mortem examination, the kidneys are enlarged, pale, and may have pinpoint haemorrhages on the surface.

For my own interest, can you tell me what breed these piglets in the photo are.

Peter

yes if the pigs "comes back" it will still be not a good pig, kg wise.

we tend too kill them so that the infections does not spread. I would say that the area where these pigs comes from is dirty, do you have the red powder...... Stalosan F. we use it when the piglet is born to keep it warm, sort of very thick powder that has very good hygiene benefits as well. if so throw this around the pen.

we would inject the piglet with Beta Imectin (betagro product) and then do follow up with vit C the next day. if the piglet does not die in the first couple of days keep on give the beta imectin(2-3ml) every 3 days or so and the vit c( 1ml) as and when you think. careful with the vit c coz sometimes too much and its good night little piglet. also spray the piglet with palm of violet its will help the skin.

look at how you clean the piglet area because this is the root problem here. use a mild chemical and let the area dry for at least 24 hours before putting the new mum in the birthing area. do you fumigate the pig house? if not look into this coz it will also help keep the bacteria down.

if you see this in the piglets early on, say very small areas spray the palm of violet on straight away. it will help.

hope this can be of some help to you, all the best.

• Like 1