Pigs 101 (A Start)

IsaanAussie

I've posted some new pictures of our farm on Facebook, for those of you who are interested in how it looks at our farm.

hi jompa i have tried to download youre autofarm but nothing happens is there another way i can get it

allso what is the cost of mixing 18% and 16% protien per 30k bag these days

thanks

We pay around 14.5 - 15 bath/kg for 18% protein feed. We use it for pigs in range of 30 kg up to 60 kg. For 60 to 80 kg, we use 16% food to a cost of around 12 - 12.5 bath/kg. We have test low quality feed indigence but with poor result.

You can bring down price with 1 - 2 bath if you use another formula based on rice, rice bran oil and 55% fish meal.

The price depends heavily on the raw materials you can find in the area you live. If you have a small farm, you can ask the local rice mills for Broken rice and rice bran and get the price down a lot.

to add to the pigs,chickens,duck and things on our 2 rai farm,

im just in the process of starting a feed shop,

we have a big 8x8 mtr barn, ive got a feed producer that will seel direct to me at a very good price,

and will make good profit, its took a long time to get a feed producer to sell direct to us,

i tried it with sunfeed to be told they had a dealer 20miles from me so i couldnt be there seller,

i told them ill find a producer and not only will you loose my custom but other small farmer round our village,

there loss,

we have been wanting to do this for years, i can give the farmers round me a good price and still make good profit,ive just been doing the figours,

just one example,

the number 01 feed from sunfeed, 780baht

01 feed from new supplier 550baht, thats direct to me,

same with the other number feed, eg, difference 123baht,,80baht,,52 baht

theres profit in there for us,

ill stock chicken and duck feed too, and if need be fish,

things could just be getting a lot better on the jackson farm. not counting our chickens yet, they are going to ring on tuesday when im home,

ive been speaking to them via email,

jake

hi jompa the link let me get the feedlab but not the farm i have 22 sows and used to mix my own food years ago but only saved 2/3 bht a kilo soya being the most expensive

but if the prices have come down this much i will look into doing it again i pay 450 30kg for 18% as i sell the food but 410 for 16% what would the sow food workout at as i use 46kg a day

i see you sell pigs as well do you have any boars i would like to have a chat if possible i dont know my nmbr but if you would ring my wifes or text me yours ll ring you

0818616144 thanks

I've posted some new pictures of our farm on Facebook, for those of you who are interested in how it looks at our farm.

hi jompa i have tried to download youre autofarm but nothing happens is there another way i can get it

allso what is the cost of mixing 18% and 16% protien per 30k bag these days

thanks

We pay around 14.5 - 15 bath/kg for 18% protein feed. We use it for pigs in range of 30 kg up to 60 kg. For 60 to 80 kg, we use 16% food to a cost of around 12 - 12.5 bath/kg. We have test low quality feed indigence but with poor result.

You can bring down price with 1 - 2 bath if you use another formula based on rice, rice bran oil and 55% fish meal.

The price depends heavily on the raw materials you can find in the area you live. If you have a small farm, you can ask the local rice mills for Broken rice and rice bran and get the price down a lot.

cauliflower ear

i have some pigs from Yassothorn about 2 and a half months old

their ears started to flare looking like a rash redish and looking sore

i can only say not smoth skin like cauliflower,

they have had ivermecting ,, in the past and just recently 3 days of glenfloxin antibiotic

they are looking better today but what do you think the cause is

iv had it before about 6 month ago , pig prices ,,

i sold 10,,,@,68bht then the same day sold 8 @ 66bht

but in the market the price has gone up from 120 bht to 141 bht per kg.. thai logic ??

the buyer told me they have too many pigs,, for sale , so i told him to lower his price in the market and he'll get all the custom !!!

win win for him not a hope in h#ll

hi jake

i have sold food here for 5 years and many types theres a lot of shit out there i would do the market first to see if it will sell 550 seems very cheap me

to add to the pigs,chickens,duck and things on our 2 rai farm,

im just in the process of starting a feed shop,

we have a big 8x8 mtr barn, ive got a feed producer that will seel direct to me at a very good price,

and will make good profit, its took a long time to get a feed producer to sell direct to us,

i tried it with sunfeed to be told they had a dealer 20miles from me so i couldnt be there seller,

i told them ill find a producer and not only will you loose my custom but other small farmer round our village,

there loss,

we have been wanting to do this for years, i can give the farmers round me a good price and still make good profit,ive just been doing the figours,

just one example,

the number 01 feed from sunfeed, 780baht

01 feed from new supplier 550baht, thats direct to me,

same with the other number feed, eg, difference 123baht,,80baht,,52 baht

theres profit in there for us,

ill stock chicken and duck feed too, and if need be fish,

things could just be getting a lot better on the jackson farm. not counting our chickens yet, they are going to ring on tuesday when im home,

ive been speaking to them via email,

jake

i know what your saying, ive been in the pig game for 7 years now,

but ill give it a try on a couple of pens first,

but its something that i want to get into,

regarding your boar,

just have a word with one of the lads who breed pigs, and tell them not to castrate a couple and let you come and have a look, we had a couple of well built young boars, now not boars,,lol,

you want one from a big litter, hopfully passing on that trait to its offspring,

take care

jake

Hi Once Again

i also have another young pig about 3.5 month its shi##ing

a deep deep red color nearly brown, very wet like a custard texture but looks like their must be blood in it from somewhere

the pig looks fine except for that

eats well and is growing ok

any ideas, mike

• 2 weeks later...

SWIN FEVER

recently iv had 3 piglets die @ approx 40kg , and another 4 iv offloaded to people that knew i was having a problem @ about 40kg also

sold them for 2000bht each

symtoms cronic shi#ts , looking lathargic , skin never looks clean even when washed , loseing weight ,not eating,

slow moving , stooped over , sitting like dog, just dont look healthy,

i had tried ,, ivormec, glenfloxin, amoxicil, vit injections, all recomended by others, vets and pharmacy owners, nothing works

yesterday we were talking to a lady she lost 120 pigs last year same symptoms wiped her out for 5 month

i think i have swin fever,, in 1 pig 70kg, he's in with 8 others who look fine at this point,

then i have 7 piglets about 18kg half of them have the shi#ts and one looks like its going down hill, coverd in what you would think is mozie bites ,, but its not,

the other 6 are average condition,, 3 or 4 are ok and putting on weight

I have only got 27 pigs total at this time,

12 are ready to go in the next couple of days, buyer told me tomorrow ,, thai time ?

8 will take another 4 weeks

then i have the 7 @ 2month old

any advice or sugestions is welcome

I bought the swin fever vacsination today, enough to inject the 27

mick

hi mick,

well mate im no expert,

but often we will get a load of pigs, or even if you breed your own,

there will allways be the odd one that wont make up. i have a pen for these away from the others and just put them in there, sink or swim for them,

i will give them vitimins just to help them, but i try and stay away from antibiotics,

i do keep on top of worms and will worn every month when young,

i dont think it will be swine fever you have mate, else they would all have it, its just some dont have the vigour of others,

my thoughts and like i say im no expert,

i havent heard of anything going round here,,

and i went and fetched another 30 piglets the other day, pictures of them on shaggys photo thread, nice lot of piglets all nice and pink,

good luck mate hope all comes well for you,

jake

remember mate google is our best friend

thanks for that Jake

its doing my head in at the moment

i just went and had a look 30mins ago and no runny shi#t anywhere all lumps now

one of my last lot of small pigs must have had some kind of virus im thinking

and passed it on to my best ones ,, im loosing those

M

• Like 1

Well I did say "Never say never", just seen some beautiful little piglets ..... Price of pork here in Surin is at a mind blowing high so my wife has been buying chickens for me to kill for dinner. The markets are crying out for pigs so slaughter your own, pack them in ice, and get to the night markets.

just to make sure. just been to our vet to get vacine for swine fever, ill vacinate this lot, just to be on the safe side,

me and mac will do it tonite after tea,

hope all goes well with yours doctor

nice to know then cant get enough pork, might keep our prices up,ill have 35 ready in the next few days, so ill have to see what price i get

What is current price in Surin?

We have been in contact with an old customer from Korat. He told us that there is alot of pigs out on the market and the price is down to 67 bath/kg. In the area where we live, we get 69 -70, but that can change very quick.

looks great raver,

we dont use them at the moment, but im going to start using them as it will make things easyer for my wife when im not there,

i havnt built the sow house yet just waiting for the rain to stop,

at the moment our sows are in 3x3 pens with lots of straw,

take care

jake

Hi,

updater on my shi##ing pigs

after trying everything everyone suggested,, and losing 3 to sickness and death, and having to sell or give away 4 more small ones to the relatives

and selling 3 large one's that looked like they were going down quick sold for around 3000 should have got 4500 but it didnt look healthy and i didnt want the others near them

a pigfood supplier told me to use ,, ENROXACIN , i had used something simulare before and it didnt work or stop the shi##ing

But two injections each with this,, antibiotic worked and cleared everything up i didnt give the third injection because they had ,had lots of medication before this

so now its cleaning everything and blocking the air holes between sty's so pigs in one sty cant lick of pass shit between the sty's

im down to 11 pigs today 2 @ 100ks + due to go '', 3 @ 70ks. and 6 @ about 40 ks

We also heard some people have a very big problem at the moment and numbers of ,, 200 and 120, and 20 have all died recently

regards m

the price of pigs is still 70 bht here in sakaoe province,

we had 30 to go, buyer taking them all but said can he come every 3 days and take 5 at a time,

i dont have a problem with that,

todays 5 average weight was 91kilo, there was a small one,you allways get one that dosnt do as good as the others, biggest was 111kilo

but to be honest i dont mind them going at 80-90 kilo as that last bit is the hardest to get on the pig,

but all still good here, 15 more to go in this lot, then itll be about 3 weeks and another 23 will be ready,

we try and get at least 20 out every month, nice to get 30 out, but,,

ive done some flyers for the feed, it seems good feed, i had the old couple come round today for a yak and look at the farrowing crates im making, they are going to get there feed from us, im not that botherd if i dont sell much, im more pleased that i can feed my ppigs a lot cheaper then i have been doing,

i dont really like farrowing crates but i have made mine a little bigger then normal,

its safer, as one of our last new sows was a right cow, wouldnt let you go near her piglets, yet her sister is a little darling,,

safer for mac whenj i not there to have them in farrowing crates,

jake

• Like 1

Hi i have a gilt that went of her food for a couple of days then started spewing up previous to this i had given hher some vitamin mix that had got wet the mrs reckoned that she was getting too hot thats y she got sick the pig aborted and i gave her a shot of long acting penicillin and she is eating and drinking again what do you guys that are a lot more experienced than me think the cause was thanks

how long into the pregnancy was she.? have any other sows-gilts pregnant living under same roof? two days off food then abort, see this happen from time to time, one this morning that's was only 24 days in...... the temp could play a part in stressing the animal, or a sudden fall in temp, look to others in the same house ect... maybe the pig was sick? fell heavy ect..... the list goes on. have a check and see how much food you were feeding her,(maybe too much) make sure good and plenty full access to water. have pigs that have aborted and just stand up and eat and drink as normal too. who really knows.... if you are gonna give her another try let her cycle once more then try again on the second heat. we tend to "take out" the said pig in question. loose to many days and of course the cost aspect. all depends if you run the farm as hobby or business....... no sure answers but check the basics and you could see a problem somewhere.

• Like 1

not much more to add,

apart from if anything gets wet,, in time it will go off and shouldnt of been given to your sow, vits, anything,, fresh is better,,and not expencive, not worth taking the chance for the sake of a 40bht bag of vits,

good luck with her

Don't forget the water source guys. Lotsa bugs with the rainy season. Try using EM or a better bacillus strain in the drinking water. Get the gut flora happening not antibiotics.

IA, are you saying to put the EM in the drinking water? I have only been using it on effluent run off and occasional room wash to keep the fly's down.

if you read back,, i also soak my corn in water with em and molasis for 24 hours before i give them it,,

not only softens the corn but it must absorb some of the em and molasis,

my mum always put a bit of molasis on the horse feed, good for condition,

• Like 1