Pigs 101 (A Start)

IsaanAussie

IA,

Verry sorry to hear this.

I checked right-away with the in-laws but unfortunatly we don't have any pens free for the moment.

Hope someone can help you !

All the best,

Frank

Hopefully you have all resolved the permit issues I spoke of last year. Unfortunately I have not and now face a position where I cannot win against the small minds of the villagers and their collective schemes. If I push the buttons to fix things, then I will be awake nights for fear that someone slips the pigs a bait.

The only viable options are to move the pigs or sell the whole herd. Financially building a new sty is not an option hence I am looking for a good home for 19 pigs that all fit into a breeding herd. In a week or so, that option will narrow to sale as meat pigs.

To anyone who can offer a spot in their herd for these pigs, I would rather see them go there then under the knife. Whilst I will not give them away I need to move them. Open to suggestions guys and as beaten up and angered as I am I have to admit I need some help.

I am really sorry to hear that IA,

I know from reading your posts how much you care and hard work you have put into it,(not to mention the economics)

i has come to a sad point, i wish i had the space to help, i do have a huge pen available but i will be having piglets from two sows in two weeks, that hopefully will be about 25-30 piglets,

this should be taken seriously all of us with pigs around the house, village, get your paper done.

having said that i haven't and the missus dosn't get it,

you come across as a very cautious smart man, and im sure you've done everything you could, but i still think you should remain, (That maybe just my bullish attitude)

i hope you can get to the end of this issue the best possible way, let us know how it is going

All the best

HF,

Hopefully you have all resolved the permit issues I spoke of last year. Unfortunately I have not and now face a position where I cannot win against the small minds of the villagers and their collective schemes. If I push the buttons to fix things, then I will be awake nights for fear that someone slips the pigs a bait.

The only viable options are to move the pigs or sell the whole herd. Financially building a new sty is not an option hence I am looking for a good home for 19 pigs that all fit into a breeding herd. In a week or so, that option will narrow to sale as meat pigs.

To anyone who can offer a spot in their herd for these pigs, I would rather see them go there then under the knife. Whilst I will not give them away I need to move them. Open to suggestions guys and as beaten up and angered as I am I have to admit I need some help.

Tony,

this is very sad news. Having witnessed first hand your highly professional set up and craftsmanship I send you my condolences on, what I see as the death of a project that could have helped the local populous.

Take heed lads, if you have 5 pigs here no one cares but if you try to do a proper job the jealousy of the locals knows no bounds.

I will ask around my neck of the woods Tony as I do not have any space at the moment.

Nat

so sorry to hear this Tony, and i hope you can get some help from somewhere.

regards Ian.

Thanks for the support. To those that may be able to consider taking a few of the pigs. I have sibling groups of gilts of 2, 4, 4, 4. The first two that have access to each other as well so it could be 6,4,4. Of course there is Cyril and two juvenile boars and one parity 4 sow about to farrow. Please think again.

Just hit 65 baht on swinethailand guys. Well I missed New Year but looks like Chinese New Year is inthe bag.

yes lets hope so,the wife called a few sharks about 3-4 days ago 50 baht,accept 1 of them,and he asked please keep them for a week 53 baht,so i will follow through on my word ,will phone the 50 baht sharks again to see if they will pay more t,hey can f... off anyway.keep on rising we all need it :-)

Last week in Isaan was 58 and this week is 64-65. Is this for real? Or is just what contract farmers get? Last week we sold to Korat at 55 bath. Its gone be fun to c what we can sell for this week. A slaughterhouse offered us 54 bath today but then we have to sell at least 25 pigs or we had to go down to 53. What a joke this country is.

What is the best way to do if i have pigs that is to fat (100kg). I have get advice to stop feeding them for a few days. Is that all or...

I'm thinking of feeding them low energy diet with normal protein level. Any advice?

I have a new customer i want to impress.

What is the best way to do if i have pigs that is to fat (100kg). I have get advice to stop feeding them for a few days. Is that all or...

I'm thinking of feeding them low energy diet with normal protein level. Any advice?

I have a new customer i want to impress.

Im not sure but i think days will not shed so much fat out as you think, they may lose a couple of kilos but that does not mean less fat, i probably want to set you goal from a young age piglet and givem the right food to achieve minimum fat, maximum red meat,

anyone please put in your thoughts i also would like to knoe if there is a quick fix

Thanks

i

Last week in Isaan was 58 and this week is 64-65. Is this for real? Or is just what contract farmers get? Last week we sold to Korat at 55 bath. Its gone be fun to c what we can sell for this week. A slaughterhouse offered us 54 bath today but then we have to sell at least 25 pigs or we had to go down to 53. What a joke this country is.

i wish i was there, here not far from khon kaen all we get is 49,

i

i wish i was there, here not far from khon kaen all we get is 49,

Don't sell too cheap now. CP prices are going up daily now in anticipation of chinese new year. Personally I expect 68+ for our pigs and cp over 73.

cp was at 68 yesterday, 66 2 days ago.

Sharks will try to buy at old prices but have to rise if people don't sell. The sharks will need many pigs for chinese new year but tryto buy them cheap now and put them in their own pens too sell high around 7-th. some of them are renting pens from people who stopt raising pigs around here.

don't worry about big sizes. they need plemty of 120+ kg pigs as well. I have orders in especially for 120+ size pigs.

Sent from my GT-S6102 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

Revar is right guys, these are your pigs! You owe these traders nothing!

Also remember Chinese New Year is a few days of feast celebrated by all but only a rich few to excess. Over all too quickly. If you say no on the only offer you get, then you will lose. Get busy now, start ringing, listening, trading, whatever. You have a couple of weeks to clear the stock, then you have months to talk about it.

Personally I amwaiting until nextweek with calling sharks. let them discover that they can't find cheap pigs before talking to me. they will call us if they need the pigs. those who call now I tell to call back in a week but that I have many orders in already. If they want to agree on o price now I only accept 70 +thb/kg otherwise its day-price and first come first served. I don't expect price to drop dramatically after the 10th because Thai new year is only 80 days away ( Less than 2 months after chinese new year).

Sent from my GT-S6102 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 2

lets hope so,i still have 13 to go in the next 3-4 weeks, could make a bit of profit for a change,

by the way i have 11 piglets( off the sow yesterday, already eating b-lac from day 8-9, anyone interested?)

near khon kaen,

another 14 born two days ago and

another sow having about tomorrow,

Edited by humblefalang

Isaan 66 - 67 bath/Kg.

according to the feedshop near by, ( between Chaiyaphum and Khon Kaen)

from avarage joe farmer the price is 55thb,

for contract farms the price is 65thb...

also the last week they raised their feed prices by +2%...

Anyone hear Big Brother footsteps approaching? If not start listening ... Who doesnt know that CP is the largest feed manufacturer in the world?

I am not being a profit of doom here, but the "sea-change" is approaching. As I see things the choices will be supply to the local wedding and funeral market, join the contract brigade and eventually work effectively for wages, or develop some sort of niche market.

Whatever you will need to seriously look at how your operation fits the new model in Isaan since the new processing and contracting farms have arrived. Other than niche markets I see the reality being price offering to small independants being up to 10 baht less than the industry level.

The statement of some months ago by the Internal Trade department that they would be out and about monitoring low prices and the more current subsidy offer for some 150,000 pigs and $2M or about 4 baht per Kg, all make me think there is a grand plan here that the grown ups aren't telling us about. I doubt the plan is to kill off the small enterprises but in the search to satisfy the majors, it may well be to keep things at subsistance level. Maybe most will fall on their own swords.

What does look familiar is the picture in 2005 -07 in Central Thailand. This was after the first major investment in the area for the big guys and where I lived at the time most of the large independants had closed down. I actually have feeders and other stuff I bought from some of those farms.

Edited by IsaanAussie

Eventually IMO

I have seen this before with pig farming in the UK,

The CP'S of this world reduce the price of pigs, the smaller man folds, and then the price of pigs shoot up, Poker.

MP,not this time, not here. The large guys have moved out of growing and into processing. To cover the production side they have promoted the establishment of 5 Million Baht fan ventilated, eco secure, corporate designed new contract farms, privately funded. IMO, it would be smart to keep these new farms happy for a while but the long term is with 2015 and ASEAN EC starting, and 2018 with the "poor" members being involved. Then as processors and the biggest feed producers, they call the shots regionally. Oh,happy days for the big guys.

What that means to small players, who knows here? The King promotes a sufficiency model to his people which to me says everyone needs enough to eat and not much more. Do large corporates here listen to His Majesty or do they want it all? You tell me...

But definitely never a poker game. This is scripted maneouvering. Way too much at stake.

Edited by IsaanAussie

The King promotes a sufficiency model to his people which to me says everyone needs enough to eat and not much more. Do large corporates here listen to His Majesty or do they want it all? You tell me...

All i see that the 'big boys' take the King's words to their heart, indeed!!

They make sure everyone has just about enough to eat, and not much more!!!

As I have said in another thread, small farming is dying in the west and will die in Thailand. One day we will all work for the man.

I will be long dead and won't care, but my kids and lot's of rural Thais will have lost their freedom and life style for a mobile phone and a nice car.

No way to stop it, just the way the world works. Jim

Eventually IMO

I have seen this before with pig farming in the UK,

The CP'S of this world reduce the price of pigs, the smaller man folds, and then the price of pigs shoot up, Poker.

That’s exactly what they did 6 years ago and they succeeded in my case.

Rgds

Khonwan