Pigs 101 (A Start)

IsaanAussie

hi slapout,

i dont have any falang near me, not that i know of anyway,

to be honest mate its doing ok as it is, i dont want to be gready and i dont want more work, see im still feeding and cleaning when my wifes at the shop,

im even doing her ducks, collecting eggs and feeding them,,lol

then ive got my racing pigeons which im hoping to start racing with them next year young bird season,

thats without taking care of the garden, and if we have a guest here like we did last week for 4 days, its all go mate, but i like to keep busy, im not one for sitting drinking, ill have a beer or a jack danials if we have any visitors apart from that i dont drink,

ive just got a nice steady life, i can plod along all day, and what dosnt get done, well theres another day tomorow not even started on,,lol

• Like 1

hi slapout,

to be honest mate its doing ok as it is, i dont want to be gready and i dont want more work, see im still feeding and cleaning when my wifes at the shop,

then ive got my racing pigeons which im hoping to start racing with them next year young bird season,

thats without taking care of the garden, and if we have a guest here like we did last week for 4 days, its all go mate, but i like to keep busy, im not one for sitting drinking, ill have a beer or a jack danials if we have any visitors apart from that i dont drink,

ive just got a nice steady life, i can plod along all day, and what dosnt get done, well theres another day tomorow not even started on,,lol

Now you got me....You like a Jack Daniels hey?...see ya soon....lol

• Like 1

It's possible you make your profit because you buy the feed cheap? Because 99% from the small pigfarmer can not buy from the mill. What is the normal price at the market where you stay? Also 125 Bath?

When i am a normal pigfarmer and i must buy my feed at a shop to a normal price and the pigprice is at 60 Bath there is not so mutch space for a profit with 120 Bath. in my eyes better sell for 60 Bath than for 120 bath at the Market.

But i must buy my feed at a normal shop.

Maybe you can post the adress from this mill and make another pigfarmers also happy. Because more than 7000 Bath Profit on a Pig is amazing.

the price of the pork at the markets round here is 145bht,

like i say im selling it cheap to get a quick turnround, i leave profit there for the van, they can buy 10 kilo from us and make and make 250bht on it re selling it,

they might go to the market and get a little discount, maybe buy it for 135 ish, so i think more and more will come to us, ive got to get some little flyers made up to put on the trees round us to spread the word more,

as for buying feed, it took me years and i mean years to find a mill to sell direct to me, i emailed hundreds and visited mills all over thailand trying to get a deal from them, i used sun feed for years, emailed them to ask if i could buy from them, they told me i had a shop 20 kilometers from me so they couldnt sell to me,

i emailed them back saying one day i will find a mill and they will loose my custom and i will sell feed to other farmers round me,(and i do),and they have,

but most of the mills are chinees owned and most of the feed shops are chinees owned so they look after there own,

hi slapout,

Now you got me....You like a Jack Daniels hey?...see ya soon....lol

you know your welcome mate, anytime

I never tought to buy direkt from a feedmill because i am to small. I tought all the time i will buy the feed there who will buy my pig. And maybe we found one shop who buy the pig after. 2 Times he have done it already. We will see.

The most shop only like to sell the feed but not buy the pig's after back." One way "And for the small Farmers this is a very importend question. I could see this in the past, If i i have pigs with 120 kg on the farm and nobody like to buy them. And there eating and eating.

• Like 1

allgeier

this was one of the main reasons that i built the shop,

the other month i had 15 pigs ready all over 100kilo, we rang the buyers and they were saying they have a waiting list to many pigs, the price will be low ect ect,

thats when i said to my wife we cant go on like this the buyers have got us by the b£llocks, so i built the shop, and its the best thing i have done,

im not a big farm, i used to sell brtween 30 and 40 pigs a month to the buyers, i buy piglets in and bring them to wieght we dont have sows now,

doing it now with the shop and selling our pork i dont have to have so many pigs so its cut the work down there, in time like you say we might get to selling a pig a day, and to be honest i can see that happening as more and more people know we sell good pork at a good price,

my wife still sells the duck eggs too and has a waiting lst for them,

we sell a few cat fish, and ducks for eating too,

we are only small like i say we only have 2 rai, our house is at one end and the pig pens at the other with a few fruit trees, the duck run and my pigeon lofts in between, you can see our farm at thaifarmlife.com that is us

take care

jake

• Like 1

I read here a lot about pig food. Indeed the industrial food is expensive. Before I used always Perfect from the Intecq company, but about six months ago I started to mix my own feed. Not the thai way, but good food with the necessary vitamins, minerals, raw material, etc, etc. A good balans between protein, energy, lysine,... Now my weaning is 11,75 piglets/sow. Piglets are ready to kill in 4 till 5 months and costs are down with 35%. Local farmers start to ask were they can buy the food, lol

What you do by yourself, you do better !

have fun with your pigs.

Chris

• Like 1

in an ideal world that would be good to be able to kill in the morning and sell all and hopefully we will get there,

but your not trying to tell me that them vans that run round with the boxes on the back are selling fresh as can be pork,

we havnt had any complaints yet they are all saying our pork is very good,

and yes 125bht is cheap like i said it leaves a bit of profit there for others if the vans want to come and buy from us,

i make enough money at 125bht from a pig, dont forget i buy my feed direct from the mill not a feed shop, i get my feed at cost price not retail,

example, ive got 135 bags of feed coming on monday, 58,895bht, 35 number 1s, 10 number 2s, 40 number 3s, 20 number 4s, and 30 number 5s,

and i get 135 at a time as this is what a up rated toyota vigo can bring,

this pig game is all about your costs and maximizing your profits,

so why would i want to sell to the buyers at 60, 61, 62 63 ect, when we can now sell it at 125bht ?

ive worked it out at 125bht a kilo we make just over 7,000 bht profit on a pig,

now if we only sell 3 a week thats 84,000bht a month, that will do for us my friend,

happy pigging

you do get a good price on your food, all that hard work is paying you back well. that must be some upgrade on the

vigo............

Edited by thoongfoned

I read here a lot about pig food. Indeed the industrial food is expensive. Before I used always Perfect from the Intecq company, but about six months ago I started to mix my own feed. Not the thai way, but good food with the necessary vitamins, minerals, raw material, etc, etc. A good balans between protein, energy, lysine,... Now my weaning is 11,75 piglets/sow. Piglets are ready to kill in 4 till 5 months and costs are down with 35%. Local farmers start to ask were they can buy the food, lol

have fun with your pigs.

Chris

sounds like you have a very good formular for your food..... how many mums do you wean a month? thats a good average! have you seen a good increased in weight on the piglets at weaning? getting the food right is so important in maintaining a good herd.

Heads up. I am hearing stories of epidemic FMD going through farms in Nong Khai and now Udon Thani. Police are stopping vehicles traveling from Nong Khai with pigs on board looking for signs of this. We just finished inoculating our herd this week.

• Like 1

Heads up. I am hearing stories of epidemic FMD going through farms in Nong Khai and now Udon Thani. Police are stopping vehicles traveling from Nong Khai with pigs on board looking for signs of this. We just finished inoculating our herd this week.

• Like 1

have fun with your pigs.

Chris

sounds like you have a very good formular for your food..... how many mums do you wean a month? thats a good average! have you seen a good increased in weight on the piglets at weaning? getting the food right is so important in maintaining a good herd.

I wean about 3 to 4 mums a month, an other farm, where we work together with weans about 7 mums a month. We did a lot of research about the food, make a excel document that calculates what we mix by 100 kilo. We weaning the piglets after 28 days on an average weight between 8 and 10 kilo. Mums are back in heat between 4 and 7 days.

IPiglets are ready to kill in 4 till 5 months and costs are down with 35%. Local farmers start to ask were they can buy the food, lol

have fun with your pigs.

Chris

One time i called a company in Bangkok to ask for the price of Porkmeal, 55% Protein. There told me 17 bath/kg if i buy a truck witch 15 to.

But this is a little to mutch for me. When i buy bag by bag i make only the trader richer. For me it's more importend who will buy after the pig. And if the feedtraider buy after the pig i will be happy.

And if i like to kill a pig and sell on the market i can do this also. But the Mainpressure is gone.

pigeonjake said befor:

we rang the buyers and they were saying they have a waiting list to many pigs, the price will be low ect ect,

But how to get 7000 Bath Profit from a pig if you buy the piglet? The feed is so cheap from the feedmill? Because when you sell the pork for 125 Bath and you let a lot of pork on the bone there is not so mutch profit to get 7000 Bath?

This is what i asking me: From where are this 7000 bath Profit coming?

- piglet

- feed

- selling on the market

Edited by Allgeier

right my feed prices,

No 1) 555bht a bag,

No 2) 463bht a bag

No 3) 405bht a bag

No 4) 386bht a bag

No 5) 364bht a bag

i can get piglets at 800bht to a 1000bht, but i have a new supplier and they are 1400bht deliverd and are a little better quality and it save me driving to collect,

so piglet at 1400

+feed at 2923

is 4323 pig 90 kilo of meat 11,950bht, less piglet and feed at 4323,

is 6927bht + a little bit for the insides of the pig, also my wife has started doing a little bit of pork in a banana leaf at 10bht and this is working out at 200bht a kilo,

so there you are,

7000bht profit,, per pig !

and to prove a point,

as i was say the new piglet supplier didnt know we sold feed so he sent a feed company rep to see us,

they are jet feed,

i said to them let me have it at cost, no was the answer,

and they gave me a price list and its like this,

no 1 720bht

no 2 640bht

no 3 560bht

no 4 490bht

no 5 465bht

if you want to contact this company JET FEED,092 4629552

THEY CANT TOUCH MY PRICES,,

• Like 1

Hello pigeonjake

Thank you for your details from your feed. I cant see a big differant from the price between the company's.

For me is the Mainquestion: If buy JET FEED or the feedseller the pig's after back or not?

But i am surpriced how you get 90 kg of Meat out from a pig with 100 or 120 kg?

Edited by Allgeier

An old rule of thumb used by many who raised, fed and butchered from their own herd/ farm

hogs hanging gutted will be about 30% less than live weight on hoof

beef cattle hanging gutted will be about 50% less than live weight on hoof

this worked petty close if your butcher live weight was about 190 pounds for hogs and 900 -950 pounds on calf

both of which were finished on high protien mixture for last 3 to 5 weeks.

And how many % from the rest are pure meat?

What is with the fat, skin, bones, head? Its hard to belive somebody pay 125 Bath for this. Maybe.

But today is's should be enough to cut 20% away.

100 kg pig alive = 80 kg in half

from this 80 kg we take about 60 % (if its a good pig, 40 % are bones, fat, skin, ) = 48 kg of pure meat

Edited by Allgeier
  • Like 1

ive allrey stated that the are well over 100 kilo as i was waiting for buyers, some are 130,140kilo,

this is why i hadnt been on thai visa for a long time, there is allways people who in there way call you a lier,

ill just go back to doing my own thing in my own way,,

happy pigging guys,,

im out a here

pigeonjake:

Nobody call you a lier. But when you get 90 kg of meat from a 140 kg pig. Sure, there will some question.

But we have here some CP farmers. Why CP not feed the pig to 140 kg when there get after 90 kg of meat?

Because after 120 kg the pig grow slow on meat and grow fast on fat. And nobody like to have the fat.

What i learn from this? The feeding is not so importend. The importends think is to have buyer, who buy for sure.

• Like 1

And how many % from the rest are pure meat?

What is with the fat, skin, bones, head? Its hard to belive somebody pay 125 Bath for this. Maybe.

But today is's should be enough to cut 20% away.

100 kg pig alive = 80 kg in half

from this 80 kg we take about 60 % (if its a good pig, 40 % are bones, fat, skin, ) = 48 kg of pure meat

I have looked into this because I'm working on opening a shop by year end to sell our pig meat. Planning initially to sell 1 pig per day and then hopefully increase later. You probably get about 8000 to 8500 baht per pig obviously on the assumption that the pig has a good meat/fat ratio. So depending on the actual pig price, this will get you an additional revenue of about 2000 baht per pig. But bear in mind that you need to deduct costs as well. I.e. Rent for your shop, employee, electricity, cost to slaughter the pig.

pigeonjake:

Nobody call you a lier. But when you get 90 kg of meat from a 140 kg pig. Sure, there will some question.

But we have here some CP farmers. Why CP not feed the pig to 140 kg when there get after 90 kg of meat?

Because after 120 kg the pig grow slow on meat and grow fast on fat. And nobody like to have the fat.

What i learn from this? The feeding is not so importend. The importends think is to have buyer, who buy for sure.

you won't get 90 kg of red meat. More realistic is about 45 kg red meat per pig.

IPiglets are ready to kill in 4 till 5 months and costs are down with 35%. Local farmers start to ask were they can buy the food, lol

have fun with your pigs.

Chris

One time i called a company in Bangkok to ask for the price of Porkmeal, 55% Protein. There told me 17 bath/kg if i buy a truck witch 15 to.

But this is a little to mutch for me. When i buy bag by bag i make only the trader richer. For me it's more importend who will buy after the pig. And if the feedtraider buy after the pig i will be happy.

And if i like to kill a pig and sell on the market i can do this also. But the Mainpressure is gone.

pigeonjake said befor:

we rang the buyers and they were saying they have a waiting list to many pigs, the price will be low ect ect,

But how to get 7000 Bath Profit from a pig if you buy the piglet? The feed is so cheap from the feedmill? Because when you sell the pork for 125 Bath and you let a lot of pork on the bone there is not so mutch profit to get 7000 Bath?

- piglet

- feed

- selling on the market

To answer you, I breed my own piglets, grown them and then I sell or kill them myself to sell the meat.

I buy my material in several mills in the neighbor here and check continue the market prices.

Chris

have fun with your pigs.

Chris

pigeonjake said befor:

- piglet

- feed

- selling on the market

To answer you, I breed my own piglets, grown them and then I sell or kill them myself to sell the meat.

I buy my material in several mills in the neighbor here and check continue the market prices.

Chris

re total profit per pig: let me give you a brief calculations how profits can look like:

Say you sell the pig meat yourself and get 8500 baht revenue from that. Costs to deduct are: 300 baht to kill the pig, say 3700 baht pig food (baby pig to 100kg), 1250 baht for other items (vaccine, utilities, salaries, transport costs, sperm, food for mom pig, maintenance cost of your farm etc).

so that probably gives you a net income of roughly 3250. But you can easily end up with higher costs than that depending on circumstances, size of your farm etc. Just saying these are more realistic numbers of what you can achieve.

• Like 1

for sure its not easy to make money (what is?) in pigs...... contacts and time frames are very important....

Robert how are you doing with those piglets that you bought from cp? how long do you it will take to get them to the magic 100kg?

was speaking with a guy that has his first lot of piglets into his contract finishing farm the other day.....(some of the wifes piglets are in their.....) he was not that happy, lost too many due to sickness bad legs or just poor growth, the pigs are all about 60 ish kg now and he said they are all good, does not expect any more problems now, but he has already lost 6 ish percent of his start of 700...... not good me thinks, from what I can gather from people a "good" farm will run at under 3 percent loss, that's 700 starting at 5 ish kg. sounds like hard work to me. said man expects to have pigs ready to go at 110 day mark, pigs were 19 days old into his farm, that make 129 day total. he thinks it will take a couple of cycles to get things running right, before he ran a gilt farm but he said the money was not very good.

First result with perfect feed are good. 11 pigs fed on betagro until 60kg followed by 2 bags of perfect 914 and one 916 averaged 111kg in less then 5 months after birth.

Pigs werebcollected by perfect at 59thb ( 4thb under current farm price, but other are paying 56).

4 bayches are currently raised on 100% perfect will be interesting to see how they do.

Ps if you in khorat province or surrounding province, We can most likely arrange collection of your pigs if they are good quality. Wife is becoming the intermediate between perfect and customers in the area. They also regularly buy piglets.

• Like 1

fmd, that is due in the coming months according to my paper work, just had sfv in last few weeks......... just because im noseyyyyyyy how much does a dose per pig cost? i dont have a clue on running costs..........

Sorry for taking a while to get back to you TF. Was flat out the last few days supervising excavation of new dam and building pad for new barn next year. Then on the plane back to Australia. I am not sure of the price per pig. I just got the closest thing to a vet near me to go and purchase the vaccine and a few other medications in Udon and inoculate the herd while I was away. All up she charged me 2500 baht and that included her time. We had sold a lot of our herd down in the last month so only had to do about 40 pigs to do. Mainly piglets and sows. So not an expensive exercise given it included her time and we restocked on Amoxy and Pendrest as well.

Good luck mate. I will be back permanently late December so hope to be able to pop over to Ban Dung and catch up with you... maybe bring some Christmas cheer with me.... 555

Peter