Pigs 101 (A Start)

IsaanAussie

51 minutes ago, sateuk said:

Where are you based thoongfoned? We was happyish with what we got anyway it saves keeping them for an extra few weeks trying to get a few more baht all the while costing us to keep feeding them which isn't cheap

udon thani. i agree, if we were a "one man band" type of farm any sow/gilt that was not working ie.in pig/producing milk would have to go ASAP. all those extra feed days add up over the life time of the farm/animal... and make a big hole in your pocket.555  example;

last month we "only" lost  approx 180 days due returns/empty gilt days/NIP ect that is = to 486kg of feed in 30 days. (thats a good month) thats on a 220 head sow farm.... psy for the month is 27.6 which is the best we have had for a long time.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, thoongfoned said:

udon thani. i agree, if we were a "one man band" type of farm any sow/gilt that was not working ie.in pig/producing milk would have to go ASAP. all those extra feed days add up over the life time of the farm/animal... and make a big hole in your pocket.555  example;

last month we "only" lost  approx 180 days due returns/empty gilt days/NIP ect that is = to 486kg of feed in 30 days. (thats a good month) thats on a 220 head sow farm.... psy for the month is 27.6 which is the best we have had for a long time.

That's a lot of money in feed .wow 27+ very impressive you obviously doing a great job

yeah if you count every empty day in the farm on 100's of pigs the feed bill soon add up. we tend to loose 300/500 days every month...... worst i have seen was around 1000 empty days  in 30 days.... loads of returns/gilt days and high volume culling that month. most of the time we can wait 2 weeks to cull (twice amonth usually, this month 3 times...), we work on a que system, we always have cull animals waiting.... eating into our psy... hence new gilts every month 1 or 2 times.

27 ish (thats around 11+ weaned x 2.4 ish times a year) is about as good as its gets for us over the  course of the year(average), this year to date we are around 26.3. but its a long way to go to the end of the year, that 26 could easy go down to 24/25......  checking work and loads of luck helps. im off to the temple now..5555

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me the price please now was getting 60 a kg last month but got more to sell now and asked the price gone down to 56 a kg not sure if this correct. It's gone down to 110 baht a kg for meat so could be correct thanks

On 7/24/2018 at 1:59 PM, sateuk said:

Do korat collect?  As I got 22 to sell all 100 kg+

Yes, that's why they pay less. Transportation cost and weight loss during transportation.

Talk with your local feed dealer. They use to buy back finisher if you buy there food.

On 7/23/2018 at 6:37 PM, jompa67 said:

We sell at 55 to 57 bath/kg. Last sell two hours ago, 12 pigs at 57 bath to local buyer. If we sell to korat, we get 55 bath/kg (80 km Away)

Do they collect or you take to them in korat as I got 22 to sell at 100+ kg already thank

we buy betagro they don't buy back here in buriram. I will have to go korat and find out as here in buriram selling local takes to long or try sell ourselves at markets but don't really want go that route thanks for getting back to me jompao 

10 hours ago, sateuk said:

we buy betagro they don't buy back here in buriram. I will have to go korat and find out as here in buriram selling local takes to long or try sell ourselves at markets but don't really want go that route thanks for getting back to me jompao 

I think you should find another feed dealer that can give buy back service. Betagro just want you to buy there stuff and then they pissing in your face. I will never do any kind of business with them again.

4 hours ago, jompa67 said:

I think you should find another feed dealer that can give buy back service. Betagro just want you to buy there stuff and then they pissing in your face. I will never do any kind of business with them again.

Thanks I'll look into it might try perfeq they buy back here will have to check the prices 

3 hours ago, sateuk said:

Thanks I'll look into it might try perfeq they buy back here will have to check the prices 

Be careful. We went with them for two years and a lot of promise but very little was true. There sell people was making side business all the time and want to help us but to very heavy discount. You will never get the price they promise you, if they ever help you at all.

18 hours ago, jompa67 said:

Be careful. We went with them for two years and a lot of promise but very little was true. There sell people was making side business all the time and want to help us but to very heavy discount. You will never get the price they promise you, if they ever help you at all.

I was wrong jompao its not perfeq it's sm pig food they say takes 7 bags to get a 100 kg pig and they will buy of us whether we get what price they promise is a different story but I will try with the 20 baby pigs I got now and see what happens. If they don't give us decent prices I'll sell local but that just takes ages here as only sell 5 or 6 a week to local butcher

Well keeping a couple more gilts but 1 of them won't keep still when in heat its 1St time on heat should I give it another couple of chances to see if it keeps still or just sell and keep another next time?  Thanks for any advice

1 hour ago, sateuk said:

Well keeping a couple more gilts but 1 of them won't keep still when in heat its 1St time on heat should I give it another couple of chances to see if it keeps still or just sell and keep another next time?  Thanks for any advice

how many days old and what approx kg? 

19 minutes ago, sateuk said:

7 half months 125 kg been in heat once before 

so approx 225 days old, i would keep the animal try get some more kg on her, say 140kg-150kg, let her cylce once or twice more (or longer depending)before AI, every time make a note of how long  she is in full standing heat ect.... you have either spent good money buying her in or time and money raising her so it dont make sense in just culling because she aint ready at the mo to AI properly....

at the mo we tend to AI at around 280 days mark if all well some alot later..... kg from 130-150+ (they get delivered at 250-260 days old) yesterday had 2 gilts birth, one 23 total 21 are viable. the other 9 with 4 viable.... same sperm used even same standing heat times, thats gilts for ya....

so approx 225 days old, i would keep the animal try get some more kg on her, say 140kg-150kg, let her cylce once or twice more (or longer depending)before AI, every time make a note of how long  she is in full standing heat ect.... you have either spent good money buying her in or time and money raising her so it dont make sense in just culling because she aint ready at the mo to AI properly....

at the mo we tend to AI at around 280 days mark if all well some alot later..... kg from 130-150+ (they get delivered at 250-260 days old) yesterday had 2 gilts birth, one 23 total 21 are viable. the other 9 with 4 viable.... same sperm used even same standing heat times, thats gilts for ya....

Thanks we raised them ourselves so will keep they are nice gilts got another couple of months yet then till they are truly ready. That's a lot of babies 21 congratulations great job

3 minutes ago, Robert24 said:

Local price is between 53-55 baht. Where are you based?

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

North of Korat. A week ago we sell at 55 to buyers in korat and 57 local. Now when CP have raise its base price from 48 to 50 and many regions also raise there price. Our buyer still tell us that it is no change in price. I don't know what to think.

North of Korat. A week ago we sell at 55 to buyers in korat and 57 local. Now when CP have raise its base price from 48 to 50 and many regions also raise there price. Our buyer still tell us that it is no change in price. I don't know what to think.
How many pigs you have? If you can sell 55-57 baht I think that's quite ok.

It is just around 55 pigs but it is not about what is "quite ok", rather correct price. We need to know if we get rip by our feed dealer.

55 pigs á 200 bath = 11.000 bath going in someone else pocket. I prefer into mine pocket.

It is just around 55 pigs but it is not about what is "quite ok", rather correct price. We need to know if we get rip by our feed dealer.

55 pigs á 200 bath = 11.000 bath going in someone else pocket. I prefer into mine pocket.
I can only tell you that I buy good quality pigs locally for 53-55 baht. I'm in Kalasin. Buy from farmers here and Sarakham. Who sells me 55 baht delivers the pig to my farm. If someone buys my food (full program) I buy back 57 baht.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a correct price. You must negotiate and understand how they buy. I.e. do they deduct price for pigs below 90 or above 115kg, they pay cash or credit if credit what terms, etc etc..
Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

100 kg pigs in Korat is 62 bath/kg (sold 30 in the beginning of the week direct to butcher).

It is all about your pigs. If they are fat or the meat is not red enough, you will get lower price.

If you go through a middleman, you will lose 3 - 5 bath/kg.

Archived