Eat In & Take Away

uptheos

In the Pizza thread it was mentioned, that ordering a Pizza from Dukes is the same price as eating in where you sit, get waited on, and are provided with air con, cutlery and ambiance. I can't vouch for the price being the same as I never order anything in from Dukes, though I do eat in the restaurant now and then.

However, I would like to ask those that order in regularly if this in fact standard practice, do you pay the same price as you would in the restaurant?

I would also like to ask the restaurant owners that don't give a price reduction for takeaway's.........why not?

I have ordered out from some restaurants, but to be honest I've never really noticed. I look at the price on a menu when I'm there and I look at the price on MOW, without thinking too much about it.

Considering that quite often restaurant owners will justify their prices with 'it's the overheads', wouldn't it be a nice gesture to give a discount to those who order out and who are not using all the services (overheads), which go to make up the price?

Perhaps those who already DO give a discount for home delivery, can let us know who you are?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a good idea and maybe one whose time will come. Some of the costs that are saved are eaten up with packaging and also MOW gets a certain amount from the restaurants. So basically the delivery service is getting the discount and the customer is paying for convenience. Naturally, larger orders cut the costs of delivery down and maybe large orders should get a discount or something complimentary.

Dukes add VAT to the bill but not service. I don't know what the rules here about VAT are but in the UK food consumed off premises is not subject to VAT so that makes take-outs that much more popular (and likely to be more so as of next year when VAT goes up to an eye watering 20%).

It's a good idea and maybe one whose time will come. Some of the costs that are saved are eaten up with packaging and also MOW gets a certain amount from the restaurants. So basically the delivery service is getting the discount and the customer is paying for convenience. Naturally, larger orders cut the costs of delivery down and maybe large orders should get a discount or something complimentary.

I understand your points re MOW. As for the packaging, I get boxes and plastic bags at my hole in the wall lady and she's only 25 and 30 Baht.

Would a restaurant charge the same if I called ahead and picked it up personally on my way home?

Dukes add VAT to the bill but not service. I don't know what the rules here about VAT are but in the UK food consumed off premises is not subject to VAT so that makes take-outs that much more popular (and likely to be more so as of next year when VAT goes up to an eye watering 20%).

Is VAT going up to 20% next year?

As far as a pickup by a customer, good point Uptheos, maybe there should be a lower price. The thing about MOW is that they do many pickups. Some are small and some are big so the charge gets spread around. Many pickups by customers are single items and would not get a big discount. The other advantage of MOW is not having to get into the car or the motorbike. There also seems to be a lot of deliveries during the heavy rains. Sometimes it is worth it to pay the delivery fee.

As far as a pickup by a customer, good point Uptheos, maybe there should be a lower price. The thing about MOW is that they do many pickups. Some are small and some are big so the charge gets spread around. Many pickups by customers are single items and would not get a big discount. The other advantage of MOW is not having to get into the car or the motorbike. There also seems to be a lot of deliveries during the heavy rains. Sometimes it is worth it to pay the delivery fee.

I'm not complaining about MOW, in fact I'm not complaining about anyone.

A lot of people are feeling the pinch right now and I would have thought it would be good PR to have a discounted price for eat outs.....again taking into account that "overheads" are always factored into the eat in price. I'm sure a lot of restaurants wish they were busier too and it might be an opportunity to shift some of those frozen meals before they are useless.....and people remember who the good guys were. smile.gif

In the UK

It is fair that the MOW price is the same as Eat in. As 1) More packaging 2) Delivery driver fees ETC. Straight to your door from some of the best restuarants in town.

I hear MOW charge restuarants 25% of the entire bill. Pay their drivers 20bt per delivery. So MOW are making some good money I believe- especially when it is raining.

I have made MOW purchases over 2000bt sometimes when guests around- that is a nice 500bt odd for MOW- Good deal for them. Very good business and they provide good service.

If you wish to save a few baht then there are plenty of affordable and good restuarants around. Where it is not 300bt odd per meal.

Pick up's I agree should definately have a discount, as they do save on overheads- Maybe we should get the 25% to hop in the car and pick up. As MOW do get this amount. So YES I agree from a 2000bt bill I would LOVE to get a 500bt discount. I may even get off my butt and pick it up myself then- the loser will be MOW. The restuarant loses NOTHING- maybe gains more PICK UP customers, therefore WINS.

Good idea... offer PICK UP rate of 25% discount. Beautiful.

Which restuarants will be the first (Probably ONLY) to offer to Thai Visa members?:whistling:

In the United Kingdom VAT is charged on hot take away food. This was introduced in the early 1980s' under Thathcher. There were cases of fish and chip shops charging GBP 3 ish for a cold bread roll, but giving free fish and chips with every purchase to avoid VAT. The Inland Revenue soon put a stop to this.

I dont believe that meals on weals make anywhere near the margain mentioned, having talked to a couple of restaurants that utilise their service.

I use meals on wheels regularly and like the service. I do have two tales that are applicable to this thread.

About 2 and a half years ago I had some guests over, and we decided to order in curry from Le Spice. The order was over 2000 Baht, but the owner / manager said he would not be able to deliver as the regular driver had had an accident. I wished him a speedy recovery, and said no problem I would come and collect it myself. Tongue in cheek I asked what discount I would receive for collecting it myself? Nothing he declared, in fact he felt he should be charging a premium for home deliveries as delivery staff were far more expensive for him than waiters! Very different to where we live in the UK, where home deliveries tend to be discounted, and one of the pizza restaurants does buy 1 get 1 free if you collect yourself! That offer has now been going for at least 10 years since they opened.

Another time was at a friends funeral wake, and we decided to order pizza from Dukes. At the time they offered free delivery within the city, however our delivery turned up on a MOW bike and we had to pay a delivery charge. We had made the order direct with the restaurant and had not been told of a delivery charge. It was an order of 3 or 4 large pizzas, so not insignificant.

Iain

I would love to receive 25% discounts from every restaurant and would probably have my memsahib, inlaws, the kids (only 6 and 3) doing the deliveries, but I'll try to see if the driver we have in the meantime might go for 10 baht a delivery (pay their own fuel, telephone calls etc) and who knows if they get lucky and do 5 a day they might earn 50 baht working 14 hours , whey hey !!!

PS I've ordered the Bentley....

Edited by buzzer101
  • Like 1

Without trying to impinge upon MOW business, I think if restaurant owners gave a 20-25% discount on personal pick ups (the food variety wink.gif), then their business might actually increase. Of course MOW is very good, convenient and it's everyone's choice whether to use them or not, but 20-25% discount + the 70 Baht saving for delivery could be quite substantial.

Without trying to impinge upon MOW business, I think if restaurant owners gave a 20-25% discount on personal pick ups (the food variety wink.gif), then their business might actually increase. Of course MOW is very good, convenient and it's everyone's choice whether to use them or not, but 20-25% discount + the 70 Baht saving for delivery could be quite substantial.

I totally agree that a 25 % discount on personal pick ups is great. I would like to to point out that no restaurant gives me 25 % discount and that no restaurants give above 10% discount so if you do recieve this discount please let me know

Delivery date for the Benteley is 6 wwwks

Edited by buzzer101

I totally agree that a 25 % discount on personal pick ups is great. I would like to to point out that no restaurant gives me 25 % discount and that no restaurants give above 10% discount so if you do recieve this discount please let me know

Yep I know there are restaurants that give 10% and usually it's tied to some kind of card. Of course it's only 10% because you are getting the ambiance, the service, the air con (in some) and often a cute little waitress. Therefore takeaways, which do not have any of these benefits, especially the cute little waitress, should be given a higher discount than 10%. wink.gif

Which model Bentley is that?

Yep I know there are restaurants that give 10% and usually it's tied to some kind of card. Of course it's only 10% because you are getting the ambiance, the service, the air con (in some) and often a cute little waitress. Therefore takeaways, which do not have any of these benefits, especially the cute little waitress, should be given a higher discount than 10%. wink.gif

Which model Bentley is that?

Obviously the 1964 classic

You've got to remember that if it's a full service restaurant and you're ordering to take out, the owner still has to pay the overhead regardless so there's no saving to them unless the place is full and your business would be lost because you'd go elsewhere. Think how long a business could stay afloat if it was set up for 50 covers but permanently empty and only served take-outs at a discount. Also carry outs mean no add on sales such as drinks or impulse deserts and your staff get less tips so they're harder to retain.

You've got to remember that if it's a full service restaurant and you're ordering to take out, the owner still has to pay the overhead regardless so there's no saving to them unless the place is full and your business would be lost because you'd go elsewhere. Think how long a business could stay afloat if it was set up for 50 covers but permanently empty and only served take-outs at a discount. Also carry outs mean no add on sales such as drinks or impulse deserts and your staff get less tips so they're harder to retain.

I fully understand your point, but it seems to me that in the present economic climate, restaurants are having a problem to stay afloat anyway and I don't see anyone making an effort to stimulate business. They are just opening and closing, moaning about how bad it is and hoping that people will suddenly start flocking in. I think there's an opportunity for restaurants to at least move some freezer stock, but no doubt the owners have adopted the 'face' thing and I wouldn't be surprised to see their prices go up instead of down.

<snip> Also carry outs mean no add on sales such as drinks or impulse deserts and your staff get less tips so they're harder to retain.

Greenside is right.

Even in high rent HK where restaurants are small and often full (if they're any good), where it would make sense to give discounts to take-away clients, there is no discount—except perhaps that the standard 10% service charge is waived (even this not always).

In HK the financial cost of failure is high and business people are consequently extremely hard-nosed. If there were net gains from discounting take-aways, every HK restaurant would be doing it.

<snip> Also carry outs mean no add on sales such as drinks or impulse deserts and your staff get less tips so they're harder to retain.

Greenside is right.

Even in high rent HK where restaurants are small and often full (if they're any good), where it would make sense to give discounts to take-away clients, there is no discount—except perhaps that the standard 10% service charge is waived (even this not always).

In HK the financial cost of failure is high and business people are consequently extremely hard-nosed. If there were net gains from discounting take-aways, every HK restaurant would be doing it.

Restaurants here have their regulars that like to eat out and they also have the walk in trade, albeit tourists or long stayers. Neither of these two groups would really be bothered about take outs, unless they took something home afterwards. Therefore, I would have thought that there could be a niche for discounting takeaways, perhaps for the personal pick ups who might be in the vicinity of the restaurant.

Greenside is right.

Restaurants here have their regulars that like to eat out and they also have the walk in trade, albeit tourists or long stayers. Neither of these two groups would really be bothered about take outs, unless they took something home afterwards. Therefore, I would have thought that there could be a niche for discounting takeaways, perhaps for the personal pick ups who might be in the vicinity of the restaurant.

If, in a place where discounting take-aways seems to make the most sense, it's not done, then it probably makes even less sense here. While businesses may not want to lose business (and seem unfriendly) by disallowing take-aways, they probably don't want to encourage it to the extent of offering discounts because they've figured that there would be a net loss, as per Greenside's argument.

Greenside is right.

If, in a place where discounting take-aways seems to make the most sense, it's not done, then it probably makes even less sense here. While businesses may not want to lose business (and seem unfriendly) by disallowing take-aways, they probably don't want to encourage it to the extent of offering discounts because they've figured that there would be a net loss, as per Greenside's argument.

OK, so how about the post earlier that stated MOW receive a discount from the restaurant.........wouldn't a discount to a personal caller be the same thing? If restaurants figure out there would be a net loss, surely they wouldn't operate a takeaway service with anyone?

Buzzer, my 25% comment that MOW receives was simply hearsay by guys at a booze up. It was not fact. I bet you wish it was... Lol. I am sure the last year has been hurting business wise as many of us expats tighten our belts. Due to strong baht and investment misfortunes for Expats since the 2008 crash. As personally my investment income is 66% less monthly than in 2007.:bah:

I commented at the booze up that I doubt many restuarants would give 25% off, as they will fear everyone else will hear about it. 25% is quite a lot. Then every man and his dog will request the discount. Maybe some have already tried to get a special discount.

10% or 70bt on a 500bt ++ (Especially 2000bt +) orders I would not even think about a pick up. Well worth the service, as MOW have never failed me and have great packaging.

So the margins are not what everyone dreams you make- 25% on each order + 70bt delivery- did not think so!!! :lol:

70bt per order would bearly be worth it to a business after very good packaging and delivery fees. So I presume the guys guessed you made an extra 25% per order.

Some seem to have taken my comment as fact- when it was hearsay from a booze up. Then Farangs were dreaming Ohhh Woowww what a money earner- I might look into it.

I think Cmai is only big enough for 1 MOW company to make a profit, maybe 2 when the economy picks up and baht drops, etc (If or when). BKK has several as it is plenty big enough. Yet I think many will be hurting in current climate.

I used to make 1 or 2 MOW orders pw, now maybe once a month. Strong baht and less income in my pocket, as I await my shares to increase over the coming years (Many of us hope). many of us are needing to tighten our belts I feel, as many Expats seem to mention they get XYZ less investment income now. Many count on investment income to live here.

Cheers

Jay

OK, so how about the post earlier that stated MOW receive a discount from the restaurant.........wouldn't a discount to a personal caller be the same thing? If restaurants figure out there would be a net loss, surely they wouldn't operate a takeaway service with anyone?

The end buyer is not getting the discount. In fact, he's paying a premium—for the delivery. The restaurant achieves a certain balance: getting orders from those who really don't want to leave home without actively (by way of discounts) herding customers away from eating at the restaurant where they probably would spend more as well as tip serving staff.

As a consumer, I'd love to get a discount for take-out, but I think most restaurants have concluded it's not in their interest and I'm just saying that I understand maybe why.

It would certainly be interesting if a high-profile place like The Dukes conducted a limited-time experiment on your proposal. They wouldn't have to release the results of the experiment. We (and competitors) would know one way or the other by whether or not they continued the practice after the experiment period.

Greenside is right.

In AUSSIE the Pizza company Dominos is a perfect example of a great business system in regards to discounted PICK UPS. $9.90 for 2 Pizza's PICK UP only. Delivery is an extra $6 charge. I am amazed Dominos are not in Thailand- better than Pizza Hut and Pizza Company IMO. Plus Dominos No 1 Pizza company in the world.

When you go to pick up there are many many tempting treats that they have ready for you. So they get to on sell desserts, drinks, etc and the staff are trained to try and on sell when they get a person through their doors. Ver y well designed and they know you are probably very hungry when you enter- so they go for impulse buying even on PICK UP orders.

Something like this would work in Thailand I feel...

The end buyer is not getting the discount. In fact, he's paying a premium—for the delivery. The restaurant achieves a certain balance: getting orders from those who really don't want to leave home without actively (by way of discounts) herding customers away from eating at the restaurant where they probably would spend more as well as tip serving staff.

As a consumer, I'd love to get a discount for take-out, but I think most restaurants have concluded it's not in their interest and I'm just saying that I understand maybe why.

It would certainly be interesting if a high-profile place like The Dukes conducted a limited-time experiment on your proposal. They wouldn't have to release the results of the experiment. We (and competitors) would know one way or the other by whether or not they continued the practice after the experiment period.

Thanks for your input, at least there's one consumer who would love to receive a discount. smile.gif

My point is that if restaurants feel it's not in their interest, then they simply would not do takeaways through anyone if a cost is involved. I simply don't see the difference between what they have arranged with a delivery service and what they arrange with a personal caller. If they pay a fee to the delivery service then I conclude that they must still be making some kind of profit, or as others have stated they wouldn't do it. What's wrong with passing whatever discount they give to a delivery service, directly to personal callers, who would also save on delivery charges. I don't think this would hit the delivery service, as most people often order in on a whim, when guests come, when the weather's bad etc. There are a lot of people that pass by restaurants frequently and I think this might encourage them to stop and pick up something.

I think your suggestion regarding somewhere like Dukes is excellent and as you say they wouldn't need to publish results.

Thanks for your input, at least there's one consumer who would love to receive a discount. smile.gif

My point is that if restaurants feel it's not in their interest, then they simply would not do takeaways through anyone if a cost is involved. I simply don't see the difference between what they have arranged with a delivery service and what they arrange with a personal caller. If they pay a fee to the delivery service then I conclude that they must still be making some kind of profit, or as others have stated they wouldn't do it. What's wrong with passing whatever discount they give to a delivery service, directly to personal callers, who would also save on delivery charges. I don't think this would hit the delivery service, as most people often order in on a whim, when guests come, when the weather's bad etc. There are a lot of people that pass by restaurants frequently and I think this might encourage them to stop and pick up something.

I think your suggestion regarding somewhere like Dukes is excellent and as you say they wouldn't need to publish results.

Agreed that take out discounts would encourage walk-by clients to patronize a place. But on the issue of costs, I think we may have been talking across each other. It's not direct costs that restaurants may be thinking of but the opportunity costs. That is, by offering take-out discounts would the restaurant discourage the more profitable stay-in clients, and if so, would the extra take-out business exceed the potential loss? Would the resulting less packed premises somehow discourage other walk-by customers? Only someone in the business, or someone who's done proper research could answer that.

The fact that no business is offering the discount (as far as I know, bar some pizza franchise) tells me that conventional wisdom in the business is that, on balance it's not a good business decision. However, conventional wisdom has been wrong before, and wrong often. So there might well be a competitive advantage for any restaurant that tries it first. Or that restaurant could learn a costly lesson, a lesson other restaurants watching the experiment would learn for free.

I hope someone tries it. It would be interesting to see what happens.

The Duke's did pick up the delivery charge one month from MOW as a promotion. Also they did free lemonade for orders over 300 and 500 Baht. It did not affect the amounts of delivery but I would have to guess that customers were happier.

The Duke's did pick up the delivery charge one month from MOW as a promotion. Also they did free lemonade for orders over 300 and 500 Baht. It did not affect the amounts of delivery but I would have to guess that customers were happier.

That would be a good guess :)

The money question though is, why isn't this indirect discount a permanent feature of outside ordering?

Agreed that take out discounts would encourage walk-by clients to patronize a place. But on the issue of costs, I think we may have been talking across each other. It's not direct costs that restaurants may be thinking of but the opportunity costs. That is, by offering take-out discounts would the restaurant discourage the more profitable stay-in clients, and if so, would the extra take-out business exceed the potential loss? Would the resulting less packed premises somehow discourage other walk-by customers? Only someone in the business, or someone who's done proper research could answer that.

The fact that no business is offering the discount (as far as I know, bar some pizza franchise) tells me that conventional wisdom in the business is that, on balance it's not a good business decision. However, conventional wisdom has been wrong before, and wrong often. So there might well be a competitive advantage for any restaurant that tries it first. Or that restaurant could learn a costly lesson, a lesson other restaurants watching the experiment would learn for free.

I hope someone tries it. It would be interesting to see what happens.

I don't think they can be any less packed than they are now, a lot of them are like morgues!

Also, I don't think that they will be any less packed than they usually are by using the delivery service. I think the delivery service would continue, the restaurant would continue albeit packed or not and another service will be on offer, presumably at no less profit than using the delivery service and it would be good PR.

I really can't see what they have to lose.

That would be a good guess :)

The money question though is, why isn't this indirect discount a permanent feature of outside ordering?

Good question. Maybe it is because the folks doing the ordering are happy to have the service and don't really mind about the 50 Baht. Those on a budget are more likely to eat at home and frequent the cheaper noodle shops and mall food courts.

The next big question would have to be, if there were a discount, would that have more folks skipping Rim Ping and ordering out? The one thing I have always found about discounts is that they do not help drive business. Maybe those with a CityLife Discount card can help with the answer. Does the CityLife discount card determine where a person will eat at or do they decide where to eat and then use the card if it is accepted?