Suvarnabhumi Aims At World Top Ten Best Airports

webfact

My number one complaint would be it's too hot in there.

As would all glasshouses in the tropics...:lol:

There were long discussions on the climate control during both design stage and construction stage.

The fritting on the windows has been increased; the heat insulation in the tensile membrane sections of the roof was improved; the air-con equipment was tested and retested several times.

The building is performing as designed, as required by the original NBIA specifications. For me it is fine, I never feel uncomfortable there. But then I never sleep with air-conditioning, even in places like Saudi, Iran, Libya. I appreciate a little cooling but I realise that I am in SE Asia and not at the South Pole.

What's the point of commenting on airconditioning if you like it hot? This airport terminal is hot compared to many other Asian terminals. Even the new airport terminal in Manila (NAIA 3) is far cooler and electricity is far more expensive over there.

Even the immigration staff use cooling fans - that should tell you something.

When the airport first opened it was far cooler. That's what leads me to the conclusion that they're trying to save on power.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My number one complaint would be it's too hot in there.

As would all glasshouses in the tropics...:lol:

There were long discussions on the climate control during both design stage and construction stage.

The fritting on the windows has been increased; the heat insulation in the tensile membrane sections of the roof was improved; the air-con equipment was tested and retested several times.

The building is performing as designed, as required by the original NBIA specifications. For me it is fine, I never feel uncomfortable there. But then I never sleep with air-conditioning, even in places like Saudi, Iran, Libya. I appreciate a little cooling but I realise that I am in SE Asia and not at the South Pole.

Vanity knows no bound. I will understand the extensive use of glass to bring in warmth in temperate countries, when summer heat rarely last more than a couple of months. Hong Kong has four seasons, and Thailand has 3 - hot, hotter and hottest.

To me, the most architecturally desirable design in this region is the international airport in Jakarta. Naturally ventilated where possible, and air-con comfort where necessary, with building design in keeping with their culture.

Hold on to that dream, Mr Nirun.<BR> <BR>I live close to DFW Int. and pass through Suwanaphumbi twice a year. They blew any chance at top ten when they gave the airport over to King Power, Also, few comfortable places to wait for arrivals, not enough immigration officers for early morning flights, have to cross busy traffic lanes outside to get to numerous locked entry doors and could use better signage.