Book Thailand Train Ticket Online

sunnyhor

Anyone had the experience booking Thailand train tickets online. I'm looking at the Northern line, Don Muang to Chiang Mai. I went to a website and they stated the online service is no longer available. Could someone advise?

I do not want to book through an agent because when I know the 1st class rate publish is near 594 baht per person, the agent charges 1317 Baht and this is too much. If I do not know the actual price, I would booked from the agent. There are a few questions if anyone can answer.

1.) Is taking train in Thailand safe?

2.) Is the 1st class comfortable?

3.) Is the North line scenic?

3.) Does the train have a cafe with good food?

4.) What is the "actual" rate?

and lastly, can anyone provide me the online booking link! Thank you very much!

Edited by sunnyhor

The SRT introduced online booking back in Feb 09 but it was only for a select number of routes. I was not aware it was down but I am not surprised that online booking is currently not available. You can read a thread on the issue from when it was introduced; http://www.angkor.com/2bangkok/2bangkok/forum/showthread.php?t=3748

Assuming your not intending to travel immediately, it is easier just to attend a station after you arrive and book your ticket direct.

1) Trains are generally safe but derailments do occur on occasion esp on the Nam Tok line which has had many in the last few years due to poor tracks. However trains travel so slow that injuries are rare. The north line is in good condition and I can only think of one derailment there in the last few years which was due to erosion of track around Den Chai after heavy rains.

Travelling south of Hat Yai to Yala, Pattani & Naratiwat is NOT recommended to semi-regular attacks on trains/tracks there.

2) 1st class is relatively comfortable if your happy to share.

3) The north line is very scenic especially the section between Den Chai and Chiang Mai but you won't see much on the overnight service.

4) Food is not great so bring some of your own but you can buy snacks at stations on the way if your desperate.

5) Check the SRT site, http://www.railway.co.th/English/FareRate.asp (note rate may not be current but rates will not have differed greatly). You can also check the timetables on the site.

Thank you very much for the great advise!!!!!

The SRT introduced online booking back in Feb 09 but it was only for a select number of routes. I was not aware it was down but I am not surprised that online booking is currently not available. You can read a thread on the issue from when it was introduced; http://www.angkor.co...read.php?t=3748

Assuming your not intending to travel immediately, it is easier just to attend a station after you arrive and book your ticket direct.

1) Trains are generally safe but derailments do occur on occasion esp on the Nam Tok line which has had many in the last few years due to poor tracks. However trains travel so slow that injuries are rare. The north line is in good condition and I can only think of one derailment there in the last few years which was due to erosion of track around Den Chai after heavy rains.

Travelling south of Hat Yai to Yala, Pattani & Naratiwat is NOT recommended to semi-regular attacks on trains/tracks there.

2) 1st class is relatively comfortable if your happy to share.

3) The north line is very scenic especially the section between Den Chai and Chiang Mai but you won't see much on the overnight service.

4) Food is not great so bring some of your own but you can buy snacks at stations on the way if your desperate.

5) Check the SRT site, http://www.railway.c...sh/FareRate.asp (note rate may not be current but rates will not have differed greatly). You can also check the timetables on the site.

the train is safe . first class is comfortable. you will see none of the good scenery on the night trains which have first class. the best trains to see the country are the day trains that depart at about 0830 from bangkok and arrive in chiang mai at about 2130. its a one class service with aircon and airline style meals which are not very good. take some of your own food with you. its flat all the way to phitsanuluk after that it gets more hilly and interesting. the last few hours are in darkness and will be very tedious. thai trains are ranked slow, slower and slowest so you never take one if you are in a rush. on a long service across country assume it will arrive about 2 hours late and plan stuff around that time. third class is fine for travel of a few hours and very cheap. the northern line will be washed away on some bad days during the rainy season and the service may be suspended for a few days or longer. if you don't fancy the the 14 hours from bangkok to chiang mai break the journey in lopburi, phitsanulok, nakhon sawan etc you normally can buy the tickets the day before with no problems as long as its not a holiday time.