DSI Warns Of Ongoing Bomb Attack In Bangkok

webfact

DSI warns of ongoing bomb attack in Bangkok

By THE NATION

The Department of Special Investigation issued a warning yesterday of "possible politically motivated occasional bomb attacks in Bangkok" from tomorrow till the end of the year.

BANGKOK: -- "The assailants want to mark their capabilities symbolically by instigating violence and unrest, to show that the authorities cannot stop them," DSI director general Tharit Phengdit said, citing the department's intelligence analysis.

The warning came together with a police Special Branch intelligence report on possible violence and bomb attacks to disrupt public order. Tharit said the DSI would maintain security measures until further notice.

The government's Centre for Resolution of the Emergency Situation said frequent bomb attacks had been planned and would continue regardless of the state of emergency remaining in place.

"The state of emergency is a tool to minimise damage done to country," Deputy Prime Minister and CRES director Suthep Thaugsuban said.

Suthep apologised to the public for "mistakes that should never have been made" that resulted in certain bomb attacks in Bangkok. "We have tried very hard, with checkpoints and constant patrols, but the loopholes are still exploited."

Citing evidence and crime-scene reports, he said explosives used in various attacks were factory-made in addition to those using improvised devices from authorised material.

A meeting of high-ranking officials in charge of national security was called yesterday comprising the police, the National Intelligence Agency (NIA), the National Security Council and the Bangkok police bureau.

NIA director Suwaphan Tanyuwatthana said after the meeting that all assailants and the masterminds behind previous bomb attacks had been identified and they had also been planning future attacks, but he did not give details about them.

All bomb-related reports and a CRES wrap-up report and analyses will be given to the Cabinet, as ordered by Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva. "In addition to their reports, I will also want to hear their action plans and initiatives in handling these situations," Abhisit said.

Asked how the details would affect the government's decision on the state of emergency, he said they would not be unconditional crucial factors in ending or extending the decree.

Asked whether the overall decision on the state of emergency could be decided today, Abhisit said the CRES might have another meeting on the issue on Friday, "which will not be too late, but will be overdue if postponed for another week".

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-28

Hi All.

Recent Bomb attacks in Bangkok should come as no surprise, During Black Songkran 2009 the BBC interviewed Red shirt leader And Thaksin spokesman Jackrobob Penkair and he told the BBC live .....If we dont get what we want now we will take the fight underground and bombs will be going off all around Bangkok and Thailand, HE added ....We have the people in position they are just awaiting the signal to go.

Why the Government and Police are so surprised is beyond me.

phupaman

Funnily enough the journos seem to have forgotten that one. There were also similar statements by others

Hi All.

Recent Bomb attacks in Bangkok should come as no surprise, During Black Songkran 2009 the BBC interviewed Red shirt leader And Thaksin spokesman Jackrobob Penkair and he told the BBC live .....If we dont get what we want now we will take the fight underground and bombs will be going off all around Bangkok and Thailand, HE added ....We have the people in position they are just awaiting the signal to go.

phupaman

Funnily enough the journos seem to have forgotten that one. There were also similar statements by others

So it MUST be the work of Thaksin. Case close.

Hi All.

phupaman

I think I'd have more confidence that he wasn't linked to some of this, if he would denounce these types of statements by his local spokesmen (and sometimes family, when they speak of continuing 'problems', until the amnesty or return of 'his' money), and if he wasn't so closely linked to people like the late Sae-Daeng.

I don't agree with the (tongue-in-cheek, I assume) suggestion, that the case is so-clearly proven that it can be closed, but one might well ask 'cui bono' and draw a logical conclusion. B)

• Like 1

Hi All.

phupaman

Jakrapob's words come to light again:

Breaking News

Office of attorney general attacked with grenade

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Office-of-attorney-general-attacked-with-grenade-30138894.html

The government's Centre for Resolution of the Emergency Situation said frequent bomb attacks had been planned and would continue regardless of the state of emergency remaining in place.

One can only surmise that the true meaning of this sentence has been lost in translation. :whistling:

Who has planned the attacks?

If this was the Commonwealth committee talking about opening ceremonies continuing despite the fact that the stadiums were unfinished, one would assume that the Commonwealth Committee has organised them?

As I have said in previous bogs - any bombers who are guilty of these acts of terrorism should be summarily executed and the family members associated to the newly deceased can also pay compensation or seizure of assets to sell to pay for hospitalisation, damage and public nuisance. If there is no clear message sent - the acts will continue. But the evidence must be irrefutable. As Thailand still has a death penalty I see no reason why this is not done (at all). I am all for it.

It is much easier for DSI to issue warnings and when it does happen, they gain face in the public. But if it were to happen without any warning they would lose face and get stuck with the usual of not being able to solve the crime or bring the bomber to justice. Just another tactic of not wanting to be accountable by DSI. They have not mention the wide panic that it can cause, but it seems like people still go about their daily lives. Goes to show the reliability of what DSI publicizes......

Hi All.

phupaman

violence begets violence, Jakrapob...

Jakrapob's Parents' Home Destroyed in Fire

The INN news agency is reporting that a home located on Paholyothin Soi 56 has been destroyed by a fire. The home reportedly belongs to the parents of anti-royalist Jakrapob Penkair who is in self-imposed exile. No injuries have been reported.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-09-28

footer_n.gif

Hi All.

phupaman

violence begets violence, Jakrapob...

Jakrapob's Parents' Home Destroyed in Fire

The INN news agency is reporting that a home located on Paholyothin Soi 56 has been destroyed by a fire. The home reportedly belongs to the parents of anti-royalist Jakrapob Penkair who is in self-imposed exile. No injuries have been reported.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-09-28

footer_n.gif

Strange one this.

Aside from anything else, using descriptions such as "anti-royal" associated to a name is about as damning a description of a Thai person as there is.

The Department of Special Investigation issued a warning yesterday of "possible politically motivated occasional bomb attacks in Bangkok" from tomorrow till the end of the year.

Nice of the government to let us know they will stop this at the end of the year, I guess they only need the SoE until then

Hi All.

phupaman

I think I'd have more confidence that he wasn't linked to some of this, if he would denounce these types of statements by his local spokesmen (and sometimes family, when they speak of continuing 'problems', until the amnesty or return of 'his' money), and if he wasn't so closely linked to people like the late Sae-Daeng.

I don't agree with the (tongue-in-cheek, I assume) suggestion, that the case is so-clearly proven that it can be closed, but one might well ask 'cui bono' and draw a logical conclusion. B)

You could ask Sonny Bono and come to the same conclusion.

He'll just consult Sea Deung directly.

Nice of the government to let us know they will stop this at the end of the year, I guess they only need the SoE until then

The DSI warned, they didn't say they do it. As for the time frame, probably just like weather forecasts. Even end-of-the-year is ages from now ;)

The DSI warned, they didn't say they do it. As for the time frame, probably just like weather forecasts. Even end-of-the-year is ages from now ;)

How do they know it's tomorrow it will start, how do they know there won't be any more today ;)

this report is as bad as the one about assassinations a few weeks ago, basically is should say it is just as likely it is not possible, seems another good way to keep the SoE in place. possible assassination, possible bombs blah blah blah. is there any specific intelligence from the DSI or the government? actually no need to answer that one :whistling:

How do they know it's tomorrow it will start, how do they know there won't be any more today ;)

this report is as bad as the one about assassinations a few weeks ago, basically is should say it is just as likely it is not possible, seems another good way to keep the SoE in place. possible assassination, possible bombs blah blah blah. is there any specific intelligence from the DSI or the government? actually no need to answer that one :whistling:

Not sure how it was phrased in the original Thai, but in English a statement would be like 'between now and end of the year' which is more-or-less starting tomorrow.

The attacks of the last few months are indeed a reason to keep the SoE. Unfortunately till now only in a few cases have the terrorists been identified and/or apprehended. Sorry to say, till now only red-leaning individuals.

As for intelligence, even if they had, I don't think it wise to tell. With investigations of possible attacks the less said in public the better. Don't tell me the UK government does differently?

Ah well... the tourists can come after New Year. Everything should be ok then.

Not sure how it was phrased in the original Thai, but in English a statement would be like 'between now and end of the year' which is more-or-less starting tomorrow.

The attacks of the last few months are indeed a reason to keep the SoE. Unfortunately till now only in a few cases have the terrorists been identified and/or apprehended. Sorry to say, till now only red-leaning individuals.

As for intelligence, even if they had, I don't think it wise to tell. With investigations of possible attacks the less said in public the better. Don't tell me the UK government does differently?

The obvious thing is that their intelligence gathering is extremely weak. These bombs keep occurring, so either they are awaiting a mass grab of wrongdoers, or they patently don't have the technology or personnel around to find out what organisation or whom precisely is carrying this out.

This in a country bear in mind that spends quite a considerable amount of money blocking website and monitoring email, controls the land line telephones and can no doubt access the mobile network too pretty much at will. I can't imagine how many local snitches there are around Bangkok and yet so far no results.

It appears that they are dealing with a very tight knit bunch of people who are acting in a manner that suggests that they are not too worried about being rumbled. They must have significant protection.

When you put it like this, it sounds rather IRA like doesn't it. Hope to God it doesn't escalate that way.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

The obvious thing is that their intelligence gathering is extremely weak. These bombs keep occurring, so either they are awaiting a mass grab of wrongdoers, or they patently don't have the technology or personnel around to find out what organisation or whom precisely is carrying this out.

I can't imagine how many local snitches there are around Bangkok and yet so far no results.

Not exactly "no results".

From the other bombing thread comes news of further investigation, which is agreeably not state of the art, technologically or personnel-wise:

x610j.jpg

One of several Red Shirt Bombers that have been implicated in a spate of recent bombings, Sornthien Singkanya.

He is the suspect in the Rang Nam Road bombing on July 30 that resulted in an injured trash scavenger. When he was originally arrested, he was in possession of grenades and home-made bombs. He was seen to be the person who ordered other protesters to torch the Center One shopping mall and nearby ATMs during the May riots. He's also suspected of smashing cash machines and robbing the money inside during the May Mayhem. He is further implicated in the explosion of a grenade near the duty-free King Power's office last August.

"The attacks of the last few months are indeed a reason to keep the SoE." The group that benefits, did it.

This in a country bear in mind that spends quite a considerable amount of money blocking website and monitoring email, controls the land line telephones and can no doubt access the mobile network too pretty much at will. I can't imagine how many local snitches there are around Bangkok and yet so far no results.

It appears that they are dealing with a very tight knit bunch of people who are acting in a manner that suggests that they are not too worried about being rumbled. They must have significant protection.

When you put it like this, it sounds rather IRA like doesn't it. Hope to God it doesn't escalate that way.

Another common one is that you know exactly what of your opponents is doing it and why but you dont want to destroy them because:

1. One day they might have power and you wont

2. You are currently negotiating a deal with them

3. They may change sides

4. They havent gone beyond the acceptable rules of the game yet

5. You are going to get them in a very different way