Enhancements To The Rep Function

StreetCowboy

Some of the recent threads have, in passing, proposed enhancements to the Reputation function.

I'm sure it would be helfpul to the forum support chaps to summarise those here.

I'll put in my suggestions, if you can copy and paste into your own list, deleting those you don't agree with, and adding your own.

1. Add a little comment to explain the point

2. Mark it against a specific section in the commented post.

And two of my favourites

3. Include an alarm

4. Fry an egg

Once we've got a short list of about 100, I'm sure the tech boys will be able to take it forward

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

• Should display the user's reputation in their info box by all posts they make.
  • Should be able to sort by all members according to reputation ascending / descending, and be able to filter out members above / below certain reputation levels.
  • Would be good to increase the number of negative votes allowed per day above the current maximum of 2.

• Like 1

With a view to enhancing the "feeding frenzy bicker-fest" threads, those threads where more than some threshold of Rep points had been fired could be highlighted on the main board -

Flashing Green if more than say 3 Greenies had been fired in the day

Amber if say more than 3 Greenies and 3 Reddies

and Red if more than one person had fired both their Reddies for the day

Then we could all see where the fun was, and pile in.

It would be like reporting riots on the news!

SC

Do you think Posts should be closed for rep-boosting either after some time, or after they reach some limit? I could see otherwise an opportunity for childish behaviour....

Also, if you could associate your rep-clicks with a shot musical clip

And give a link to products the Rep-giver had recently bought over the internet...

SC

Hmmm.

If you've got skilled programmers who CAN make these tweaks in the forum software code and do not rely only on later releases of the software for enhancements, why did you reject my request for the OPTION for individual users to be able to completely DISABLE the rep feature at the user level out of hand because the code is set in the program? Now it at least sounds like that answer may not have been entirely on the level.

To reiterate this idea, my REJECTED enhancement request was thus --

Each user given the choice ONE TIME to permanently turn off the rep feature ONLY for themselves.

This would mean a reset of rep points to ZERO/NILL and the permanent loss of the power to give OR get both red marks OR green marks. I think a minority of us would GLADLY opt out of the feature, so it wouldn't "spoil the fun" for the majority who don't mind the game.

Edited by Jingthing

• Should be able to sort by all members according to reputation ascending / descending, and be able to filter out members above / below certain reputation levels.

Well, when I reach 1000 reds I reckon all those "filterers" would be filtering out me then. I find that idea offensive as it makes unfounded assumptions about WHY people got reds or greens. If you want to ignore INDIVIDUAL posters based on the lack of merit of the actual CONTENT they produce, you can do that right now! It is supported by the software ... NOW. Filtering out people en masse with automatic software based on something so juvenile and superficial as red marks is a kind of group think witch hunt.

You know, both science and software CAN do a lot of things. That doesn't mean they SHOULD do all of those things. I consider a red mark filtering feature (who are you kidding, nobody would use a green mark filtering feature) to be an EVIL feature. Like burning books but with software, blindly and grossly. I guess this site isn't google, with their do no evil stated purpose.

Also, the idea to show rep points on the actual posting pages rather than the profiles is also of course, quite offensive. For those with lots of reds who don't wish to have them (an enlightened minority of course wants them) that would constitute a scarlet letter of public shaming. That's a pretty low level for this board to stoop to, but of course, it is POSSIBLE to do that, by again, why do this offensive thing just because you CAN?

Edited by Jingthing

....it is POSSIBLE to do that, by again, why do this offensive thing just because you CAN?

"...yes, yes, I WOULD do it" - Davros, creator of the daleks.

Incidentally, I think you can filter posts by reputation now; its not something I would consider - for much the same reasons as JT outlined, and also, it would filter out all the freshmeat - I mean 'newbies'...

SC

And while we're at it, anything "scratch and sniff" would be an improvement.

Edited by StreetCowboy