Iphone 3Gs Not Syncing Pictures...

bkkmick

Shows you how observant I am. I just noticed that picture/videos taken with my 3Gs are not being synced FROM my iPhone TO my PC (Windows 7).

When I plug the phone into the cable iTunes comes up as normal and begins the sync process. When I check my "My Pictures" folder it's clear any pictures taken with the phone are not there.

I checked iTunes and the Sync Photos option is checked and the "My Pictures" folder is selected.

I googled around and a suggestion was to remove the "iPod Photo Cache" folder and try again. That didn't work.

Any ideas? Got some photos of my kids I'd like to back up from the phone in case I break it again.

Cheers

Mick

Hi BkkMick

i just checked my one and the "My Pictures Folder" is the photos that is on your PC already. not the folders on your phone.

the way I back up my photos from phone to PC is when I connect the phone to the PC a box comes up and says open folder, click that and go through and you will then be able to copy and paste on to your PC.

My photos do not back up automatically also, I have to do it the way I explained before. I cannot find an option to even try in iTunes.

the sync photos option in iTunes only seems to allow me to back up photos from the PC to the phone. no matter what folder i select.

Hi.the i phone wont sync pictures with i tunes automaticaly even if you have checked the boxes,it's something to do with apple,you have to purchase the programme Mobile me,i think its called,a bloody cheek really when you spend all that money on a phone.You can use other programs on your pc to import the pictures like Picassa if you have it or even Microsofts Picture viewer i think.

Thanks puuchai and onnut. Bloody Apple. Another nail in their coffin (from my point of view). Next phone won't be from Apple.

In the meantime I found that I can open up windows explorer, right-click on the iPhone icon and select Import pictures and videos. Does the job.

(onnut: when I connect the phone nothing pops up)

Hi.the i phone wont sync pictures with i tunes automaticaly even if you have checked the boxes

correct.

,it's something to do with apple,you have to purchase the programme Mobile me,i think its called,a bloody cheek really when you spend all that money on a phone.You can use other programs on your pc to import the pictures like Picassa if you have it or even Microsofts Picture viewer i think.

incorrect.

Lots of confusion here, let me try to clarify:

- Copy from the phone to the PC does not happen automatically. You need to start an image processing program, and import the photos just like you would from a digital camera. Do pictures copy to your computer automatically when you connect your digital camera? No, they don't. Same thing here. You need to copy them. I don't have Windows, so I don't know exactly how it works there - you probably get an iPhone disk somewhere, or if not start MS Picture Viewer, or Picasa, or whatever image management app you have, and import the images just like you would from your digital camera

- The photo sync settings in iTunes are only for copying images from your computer to your iPhone - not the other way around. This, I admit, is pretty confusing. Then again if you think about it, music also doesn't come from the phone to the computer, only the other way around. Right? So there's some logic to it.

- No matter what you did, the photos on your phone are backed up by iTunes, just like all other data. So if you drop your phone in the toilet and get a new one, and restore from backup, you will get all your photos back.

- You don't need to have a .Me subscription for any of that. .Me allows you to wirelessly sync some settings across multiple computers and devices. For example, when I add a bookmark in my browser on the Mac, the same bookmark will appear in my browser on the iPhone and on the iPad shortly thereafter. Same with address book changes. I don't need to connect or sync anything - it just happens magically over the network. It's pretty neat. And it's arguably the only real use for the .Me service, the only reason I have it is because I don't want to give up my old email address. Which, by the way, was free when I set it up. Switching from "free for all Mac users" to $99 / year - now that was cheeky.

I could look up exactly how copying photos work on Windows, but this is probably good enough to point you in the right direction. Let me know if you can't get it to work, I'll research. On the Mac, you just start iPhoto and the iPhone will show up as a device + you can import from it. You can also set it so iPhoto starts every time you connect the phone, though still it doesn't automatically import. This is an OS X setting, not an iTunes setting though.

Edited by nikster

Thanks for that nikster. The thing is, from my point of view, if iTunes goes to the bother of syncing pictures to your PC then why not make them available straight away on your hard drive instead of encoding them in a thumbnail folder (or whatever it's called).

Who on earth just wants pictures on their phone on not on their PC or Mac or whatever? (unless they're REALLY private!).

Just seems like Apple trying to exert control on a device I already bought. Just like BlueTooth only working among Apple devices. Ridiculous. I mentioned before someone trying to share a photo (no nudity!) down the pub one night. Everyone who had BlueTooth connected to his HTC (older and newish phones) and got the picture. The only two left out of the loop where myself and another iPhone user.