Gas Cylinder Truck Overturns In Central Pattaya

Rimmer

Gas Cylinder Truck overturns in Central Pattaya

PATTAYA: -- A truck carrying gas cylinders overturned on the Sukumvit Road in Central Pattaya on Tuesday Morning. Police, Fire Rescue and City Hall officials rushed to the scene and after ensuring the driver of the truck, Khun Paiboon aged 27, was uninjured, officials made sure the containers were not leaking.

Full story HERE

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2010-09-28

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Funny story!! I was just on Sukhumvit about 6pm today, and a pickup, filled with small gas cylinders, was in front of me, both stopped at the red light. There was cross traffic, so he couldnt make his right turn, but he kept trying to get his nose into the traffic so he could get through. No brains at all. Maybe the tanks were full or empty, but they would have caused a big bang, if an accident happened. Maybe the security guard in BKK would have even heard that one! It doesnt seem to matter, gas or people, or what ever, they just dont give a sh..

Someone correct me if I am wrong. But I was under the impression that Propane gas cylinders are designed to withstand this type of accident. The steel is strong and there is protection around the outlet valve.

So maybe the risks of mass destruction were exaggerated?

Not so sure about that syd, not so long back we were following a pick up truck full of gas cylinders on the back road from Hue Yai to Phoenix, the driver was driving like a person possessed and consequently the cylinders were being thrown around in the back, one cylinder obviously collided with something in the bed of the truck and the resulting puncture in the skin released a great cloud of gas vapor, the driver instead of stopping and attending to the problem drove faster as if trying to shake the offending cylinder from his truck. I dropped backed and stopped for a few minutes and when it seemed clear that the danger had passed proceeded on my way. very scary indeed as one small spark could easily have ignited the stream of escaping gas.

Someone correct me if I am wrong. But I was under the impression that Propane gas cylinders are designed to withstand this type of accident. The steel is strong and there is protection around the outlet valve.

So maybe the risks of mass destruction were exaggerated?

Not so sure about that syd, not so long back we were following a pick up truck full of gas cylinders on the back road from Hue Yai to Phoenix, the driver was driving like a person possessed and consequently the cylinders were being thrown around in the back, one cylinder obviously collided with something in the bed of the truck and the resulting puncture in the skin released a great cloud of gas vapor, the driver instead of stopping and attending to the problem drove faster as if trying to shake the offending cylinder from his truck. I dropped backed and stopped for a few minutes and when it seemed clear that the danger had passed proceeded on my way. very scary indeed as one small spark could easily have ignited the stream of escaping gas.

Depends on the density of the mixture, surrounding air moving or not, how much gas escapes , many other factors... it's not that easy, other wise, every day at least one would go the LPG propelled way to heaven...