New Thai Banking Fees To Take Effect Next Year

webfact

I think what some posters are missing is that they seem to be going to a flat single fee structure regardless of the amount involved, as opposed to the prior XX baht per 10,000 of funds handled...

So for someone moving larger amounts, a 15 baht single fee would be better than 50 baht (10 baht X 5) for a 50,000 baht transaction.

I agree with JF :)

I originally opened a bank account in Bangkok; but I now live in Pattaya. If I make a cash deposit, I pay the fee, even if I make it via the self service deposit machine (counts the bills) that is located outside the bank.

Any way, why do they need to have "Zones" now any way. With the banking system linked on line, making a deposit at a Pattaya branch, for an account opened in Bangkok is not exactly rocket science.

Oh, now I remember, TIT and they do it because, well... they can :D

Edited by Lancelot

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what some posters are missing is that they seem to be going to a flat single fee structure regardless of the amount involved, as opposed to the prior XX baht per 10,000 of funds handled...

So for someone moving larger amounts, a 15 baht single fee would be better than 50 baht (10 baht X 5) for a 50,000 baht transaction.

I agree with JF :)

I originally opened a bank account in Bangkok; but I now live in Pattaya. If I make a cash deposit, I pay the fee, even if I make it via the self service deposit machine (counts the bills) that is located outside the bank.

Any way, why do they need to have "Zones" now any way. With the banking system linked on line, making a deposit at a Pattaya branch, for an account opened in Bangkok is not exactly rocket science.

Oh, now I remember, TIT and they do it because, well... they can :D

Well it is very simple,if you deposit 10.000 baht in a Pattaya branch they will have to arrange transport to get that money to Bangkok.Same for the Pattaya guy who did at the same time a deposit of 10.000 Baht in a Bangkok branch,they will have to transport it to Pattaya.So that is 2 armoured trucks that will have to make a roundtrip of let's say 300 Km.Actually that 20 Baht fee is a bargain. :whistling: ...........Ok<i get my coat already.

You could always consider opening a new account with one of their Pattaya branches to avoid that problem... I've never had to do that because I haven't relocated.

But you probably could keep the BKK account if you wanted/needed to, and then open a new one in Patts... And/or, close the BKK one after the Pats one is up and running.

It's really a stupid system the Thai banks have in regard to the same province/different province fees... I'd really like to hear some Thai banking type explain why they have to charge extra fees for such things... You might imagine they'd actually give the explanation that Basjke suggested above.... :bah:

As far as I can read is that ALL fees will go UP by 5 baht per transaction and that some will even rise by 10 Baht per transaction.Still they claim they gonna lose money.

LMAO and at the same time said they would gain profits from the additional ATM use by customers over time with these rate changes. Not even a Thai wife can make sense of this math. Mine scoffed, and said "Thai Government"

You could always consider opening a new account with one of their Pattaya branches to avoid that problem... I've never had to do that because I haven't relocated.

But you probably could keep the BKK account if you wanted/needed to, and then open a new one in Patts... And/or, close the BKK one after the Pats one is up and running.

It's really a stupid system the Thai banks have in regard to the same province/different province fees... I'd really like to hear some Thai banking type explain why they have to charge extra fees for such things... You might imagine they'd actually give the explanation that Basjke suggested above.... :bah:

Yes, its my own fault for not updating my "Home" branch; I never intended to remain in Pattaya (Sin City) this long, 555.

My hunch is that the fees date back to pre computer networked bank branches where perhaps snail mail/long distance telephone calls were required to reconcile accounts between districts. Still a hoot. I mean, can you imagine having a DR/ATM card that was issued from your Bangkok branch, then you use it to buy a 5 baht snack at a 7-11 in Chiang Mai and the purchase ends up being B15 (B5 snack + B10 bank fee) Vendors can deal with the distances -because they require the good will of their customers- but banks can levy these nifty fees. Oh well, TIT :D

Well it is very simple,if you deposit 10.000 baht in a Pattaya branch they will have to arrange transport to get that money to Bangkok.Same for the Pattaya guy who did at the same time a deposit of 10.000 Baht in a Bangkok branch,they will have to transport it to Pattaya.So that is 2 armoured trucks that will have to make a roundtrip of let's say 300 Km.Actually that 20 Baht fee is a bargain. :whistling: ...........Ok<i get my coat already.

Thanks Basjke, now I understand and you're right-it is a bargain considering the cost of labor, price of fuel, vehicle depreciation, ets, etc.

I was, yet again, being an unreasonable foreigner, always complaining and never happy :D

I'm guessing the fees actually date back to when they carried gold coins from place to place on the backs of elephants.... That would be about right for the banking system here...

Meanwhile, on the subject of the new Thai bank fees scheme:

Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij

As for the reduction of bank fees and charges, he said the decrease was too small to help ease the rising cost of living. The government will have to discuss this issue with the Thai Bankers Association soon.

That's certainly the understatement of the year! :blink: