Japanese Trees In Thailand

tim armstrong

Being rainy season, we are on another tree planting mission, to plant unusual specimens on our 5 rai. Does anyone know if Japanese maple (Acer Palmatum) will grow in Thailand? Its a specimen tree about 2-2.5 metres tall, with beautiful red/purple, fine palmate leaves that are silky to touch. I'm thinking that it needs a colder climate.

Secondly, I've only seen it a few times, but I believe its a Japanese bamboo that has distinct black and white sections. Its used as a decoration against walls and doesn't spread. Grows to about 3 metres. Suggestions appreciated.

I cant claim authorship, my garden guru a certain Treelover who etc....

This, Acer palmatum, probably 'Bloodgood'. This species, including all the numerous varieties and cultivars, are temporate zone plants and I don't know how they would do here in Thailand, I haven't seen them. Acer palmatum, as you probably know, is an under-story forest tree that can't take too much direct sun in a hot climate without sustaining leaf scorch. The number one problem for Japanese maples that I deal with in California is under watering; they need regular irrigation or they sustain severe dieback. The second is verticillium wilt, a soil-borne fungus disease; I don't have any experience with that here in Thailand, but I would want to rule out planting in soil that had a history of potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant or strawberries, which are all carriers of the disease.

Carry on...

I tried at least 4 or five times, I brought in young saplings, took good care of them.

At first they seem happy, after a couple of month they stop growing and eventually die.

Here in Buriram the weather is always extreme, too hot , too dry, too humid and finally too wet.

If you are up north, I am sure they will grow for you as long as you can get past the first couple of rainy seasons.

Best

I tried at least 4 or five times, I brought in young saplings, took good care of them.

At first they seem happy, after a couple of month they stop growing and eventually die.

Here in Buriram the weather is always extreme, too hot , too dry, too humid and finally too wet.

If you are up north, I am sure they will grow for you as long as you can get past the first couple of rainy seasons.

Best

Thanks to you both. I feared as much about the Acer. We are probably not north enough at Nakhon Sawan. Its such a spectacular little tree, but I guess I'll have to wait until a cold climate visit. What about the black and white bamboo ? As other bamboos grow here, I'm hopeful to find it - google isn't much help. Regards.