Do I Have To Declare My Personal Gadgets At Customs In Thailand?

m282

Hi.

Do I have to declare my personal gadgets like SLR Camera, Mobile phone, Ipod at customs in thailand? I read up already about the customs regulations in thailand but it was unclear. please help I'll be traveling to thailand soon.

Thank you!

Best Regards,

m282

I don't declare such items, never have over lots of years of entering Thailand via air.

I'm in the U.S. now but headed back shortly, will have my new digital camera, my old one, and a new one for my wife who stayed behind this trip to manage (if that's possible) the grandkids.

Don't anticipate any problem....

Mac

Thank you very much Mac for the info.

So I will pass to the GREEN Channel? What If, If I Declare them?

Edited by m282

I do not declare such items either, including my laptop.

A word of caution. Do not place them in luggage that are to be checked in. Carry them in your cabin luggage bag, to avoid having them stolen.

Thanks trogers. but what If, If they do random check at the GREEN CHANNEL do you think those expensive gadgets will be confiscated by not declaring them? coz what I've read in their website is:

GREEN CHANNEL (Nothing to Declare)

- Personal belonging in reasonable amount for owner’s use and the total value not

exceeding 10,000 baht.

the exceeding amount must be dropped in the Customs boxes to avoid being prosecuted.

My SLR Camera is more than 10,000 baht in value.

I do not declare such items either, including my laptop.

A word of caution. Do not place them in luggage that are to be checked in. Carry them in your cabin luggage bag, to avoid having them stolen.

Thanks trogers. but what If, If they do random check at the GREEN CHANNEL do you think those expensive gadgets will be confiscated by not declaring them? coz what I've read in their website is:

GREEN CHANNEL (Nothing to Declare)

- Personal belonging in reasonable amount for owner’s use and the total value not

exceeding 10,000 baht.

the exceeding amount must be dropped in the Customs boxes to avoid being prosecuted.

My SLR Camera is more than 10,000 baht in value.

I've never had any problems with the normal technology carried by businessmen or tourists, always two laptops and two cameras along with assorted bit and bobs.

I would however ensure that nothing actually looks new, put the new camera in your carry on (put the empty box in the checked bag so you can put the camera back in it later).

I,and a few hundred other people,came thru on Sunday night,very late after midnight,and altho I had all my 'declarables,lined up and ready,none of the Customs staff or the Security even so much as looked at me.

The only person who took any notice at all was the lovely young lady who wanted me to use her.......erm....Taxi service.

Unforunately I was being met !!

I think that means duty free stuff bought en route which they might be interested in.. They don't care at all about your camera..

Unless you fit their profile of someone that may be of interest, they won't take any notice of you.

Thanks much 'tw25rw =) So is it safe to pass into that GREEN Channel?

I think that means duty free stuff bought en route which they might be interested in.. They don't care at all about your camera..

Unless you fit their profile of someone that may be of interest, they won't take any notice of you.

Thanks much 'tw25rw =) So is it safe to pass into that GREEN Channel?

Go for GREEN it'll be fine, try not to wake them up though :)

I've never had any problems with the normal technology carried by businessmen or tourists, always two laptops and two cameras along with assorted bit and bobs.

I would however ensure that nothing actually looks new, put the new camera in your carry on (put the empty box in the checked bag so you can put the camera back in it later).

Thanks Crossy. =)

Actually the camera that I will be bringing to thailand is Just for my personal use as I am into photography. so it is safe to pass in GREEN CHANNEL?

Edited by m282

@bifftastic

Thanks =) What about in returning to where I came from, there will be no problem?

I very much doubt it, it's yours, you brought it with you and now you're taking it home.

On your way out, you'll only go through security (who don't care what you've got as long as it isn't sharp, liquid or goes bang) and immigration who only look at your passport and your face. The next customs people you'll see will be when you arrive back wherever you came from :)

Right on. I have brought back all sorts of electronic stuff. Was checked every time (they seem to be checking all big bags lately). Never had a problem. I brought a big stereo receiver the last trip...the agent asked "is that a receiver"? I was a bit nervous, said yes, and he waved me on....apologizing to me for having bothered me!

I take everything out of the original box and dump it. Don't check anything valuable as it has a high chance of getting stolen. Don't declare it and just walk on through. No big deal.

I went back to the USA 6 years ago after living here for a few years. Took back all kinds of stuff...didn't even raise an eyebrow in the US...lucky, as I had about 500 DVDs from Pantip!

@bifftastic

Thanks =) What about in returning to where I came from, there will be no problem?

I very much doubt it, it's yours, you brought it with you and now you're taking it home.

On your way out, you'll only go through security (who don't care what you've got as long as it isn't sharp, liquid or goes bang) and immigration who only look at your passport and your face. The next customs people you'll see will be when you arrive back wherever you came from :)

I'm just worried about my cam by being confiscated of the customs officer without declaring them but for your reply Now I feel okay so I will go for the GREEN CHANNEL =)

Thank you very much! =)

Edited by m282

Right on. I have brought back all sorts of electronic stuff. Was checked every time (they seem to be checking all big bags lately). Never had a problem. I brought a big stereo receiver the last trip...the agent asked "is that a receiver"? I was a bit nervous, said yes, and he waved me on....apologizing to me for having bothered me!

I take everything out of the original box and dump it. Don't check anything valuable as it has a high chance of getting stolen. Don't declare it and just walk on through. No big deal.

I went back to the USA 6 years ago after living here for a few years. Took back all kinds of stuff...didn't even raise an eyebrow in the US...lucky, as I had about 500 DVDs from Pantip!

Thanks for the reply and Info =)