Model Train Layout In Thailand..Feasible?

boatguy

I was kind of surprised to find this tread. No posting for a long time, but I will give it a try. Late last year I was looking for a hobby. I tried R/C electric planes, but it is to fast and dangerous for me (we are talking about around half a kilogram with a real speed of 30-70 km/h). I will therefore sell all the stuff cheap if someone is interested. It's several hundred (may be a thousand +) USD worth, bought 2011-12, and 90 percent of it is unused. If anyone is interested, I will PM the invoices - all from big HK (most of it), US and China based shops with web sites, so you can check the items yourself on internet.

I switched to trains - model railway and toy trains. The toy train is TOMY Plarail, it is big world wide and much of the stuff is made in Thailand. Also, children can play with and destroy items that have no collectors value and are easy to replace.

But the main reason for writing this post is HO scale model railway. I have decided to make a working diorama railway of Udon Thani railway station and surroundings as it was when new 20 years ago. I have got an aerial photo. The photo is interesting - it shows nothing but green (jungle/bush like) vegetation and red/brown/grey dirt where Center Point and the other markets are today.

I would like everyone who know someone in Udon that is interested in trains / modeling / small scale work: wood / plastic / metal / mechanical / electronics / paint to contact me. I will put in quite a lot of money into the project and try to get 'contractors' (students, motorcycle mechanics / airbrush painters, watch repair men, aged men w/o work, etc.) for buildings, scenery, a level crossing, train remodeling/painting, 'dressing up' hundreds of scale people (2 cm high) to black hair and Thai clothing of the time, etc.

Thanks.

If you have a hobby love and the cash to pursue it then no question, go for it. Wish l had the cash to continue my hobby in LOS.

As a business venture, well thats a different story, but, if you set up a cafe where you can continue your hobby and perhaps make ends meet then sounds cool. thumbsup.gif ,

There is a sizable model railroad following here. But as it is not mainstream it is not easy to find guys. They even have an exhibition/show every year but where....I don't know. There is even a Scalextric dealer.

OT There is an R/C helicopter shop opposite Pantip plaza across the footbridge. I bought some superglue debonder there once. Lots of R/C flyers around but obviously they fly in out of the way places.

Everything is here somewhere.

Edited by VocalNeal

I brought a fair percentage of my 250 'OO' British outline Loco' collection with me in my luggage over a seven year period, and every time I go back I bring yet more rolling stock, track etc with me. Been stopped twice at Customs and they've seen the gear but are totally ignorant to its value, so they think it's 'toy trains'. Fact is, some of my Loco's are worth 15,000 Baht or more but nobody here except the converted would understand that. I don't have a running layout up yet but it's a project for the next two or three years. I had some glass wall cabinets made and knocked up a few diorama's in very small area's, which are quite effective.