Model Train Layout In Thailand..Feasible?

boatguy

When I was a kid I was fortunate enough to have a father who introduced my brother and me to model trains. Lionel trains were the ones promoted most prominently for kids and dads, and you had to wonder who got the biggest kick out of this, the kids or dad. Bottom line...that experience never leaves you.

Then we kids become teenagers and we discover cars and girls, etc. Model trains are forgotten, and put away into box storage unless dad pursues the hobby on his own. Those kids then become older, and may likely seek to see the light in their kids eyes when they run that model train for them. Or as they become much older that kid might seek to rekindle some of that enjoyment he experienced with model trains by entering the hobby on a scale model basis...the art of scale modeling.

That is what happened to me. Upon my return from working in SE Asia in the late 90’s I attended a train show in the US and got hooked into that old fascination with scale model trains. I collected hundreds of HO scale model trains as one of my pastimes, and I built a sizable little train layout. Its been an enjoyable hobby that I would like to expand upon with new modeling skills in my retirement years (along with a few other hobbies and interest).

Of course now I have met and married this Thai lady, and decided to relocate to Thailand for retirement. What to do with all of this very nice model railroad equipment I’ve collected? Do I sell it all off in a fire sale, or do I bring some of it here to Thailand with me? I hate to just give up on this hobby that I enjoy just because I’m relocating to Thailand.

In the US (and Europe) the winter season can bring weather that keeps you indoors...great model RR weather. I figured there was likewise some really hot and rainy weather here in Thailand that might be conducive to an indoor hobby as well.

But how about if I went a step further and built a new layout that might be displayed to the Thai kids, and even some older kids (retirees) here in Thailand that might have memories from their childhood experience with model trains. (I even have some European train models). These sophisticated model trains of today even have sound, and lighting, effects, and digital command control....pretty fascinating to watch...and pretty detailed to look at in miniature.

What if I were to set this layout up in some sort of coffee shop atmosphere?

.....some thoughts I have been kicking around...... comments, suggestions??

The Rosabeing Restaurant on Sukhumvit Soi 11 ha a good model train set up in the restaurant, Tunnels and hills etc, I think it is possible to buy the sets out here but I really don't know how much interest there is.

To simulate the thai railways just get some rusty old coke cans and put wheels on them, and every few weeks get a little pick up truck to get hit on a level crossing, and have regular derailments for that real life like effect.

The Rosabeing Restaurant on Sukhumvit Soi 11 ha a good model train set up in the restaurant, Tunnels and hills etc, I think it is possible to buy the sets out here but I really don't know how much interest

Thanks, looked that up and appears to be spelled 'Rosabieng Restaurant'. Also sounds as though they have very good food.

To simulate the Thai railways just get some rusty old coke cans and put wheels on them, and every few weeks get a little pick up truck to get hit on a level crossing, and have regular derailments for that real life like effect.

ha,ha :rolleyes:

Edited by boatguy

The Rosabeing Restaurant on Sukhumvit Soi 11 ha a good model train set up in the restaurant, Tunnels and hills etc, I think it is possible to buy the sets out here but I really don't know how much interest

Thanks, looked that up and appears to be spelled 'Rosabieng Restaurant'. Also sounds as though they have very good food.

To simulate the Thai railways just get some rusty old coke cans and put wheels on them, and every few weeks get a little pick up truck to get hit on a level crossing, and have regular derailments for that real life like effect.

ha,ha :rolleyes:

the food is good, and they have a nice beer garden at the front where I sometimes meet friends, and only 115 Baht for a big bottle of Tiger or Singha, but leave before 8pm as that is when the jazz band starts :D

Why would your location put you off following a hobby or introducing your children to it? Unless you live in a village hut? My biggest worry would be Thai inlaws just coming over and messing everything up and walking off with whatever fancied them at the moment... no thanks. Lock on the hobby room if you ask me.

Like any other hobby here import taxes kill you, I like rc flying but dont do it because whats availible here is crap.

I remember seeing a shop with Fleishmann and some Japanese makes. A Google should help. Prices were as intimated above, pretty high. I knew someone who used to have a layout up in Buriram and he had to clean his track all the time due to the effects of the high humidity.

Edited by tso310

There is a model train shop in the Sala Daeng area on Silom Road - saw it a few weeks ago - it's in one of the shopping malls adjacent to the BTS on the opposite side of the road from Robinson Dept. Could be in the same building as Central Dept store - or joined to it. It's on the first floor up from ground - at the top of escalator there's a coffee shop, then the model train shop is a little way behind it.

Hi Boatguy,

If you've not yet made your move to Thailand from your own country get all your gear taken apart and ship it over. I had quite a bit of model railway stuff some years ago in the UK but sold it before leaving, thinking it would not be of any use to me. I wish now that I had kept it. You will need a hobby when you get here and model railways are great! You can get some models here but are very expensive. I saw some American models in Central in Bangkok some years ago, don't know if they still stock them. You can also import from places like Hong Kong but you do get charged duty. I have seen lots of materials for making scenery in local craft shops so you only need the trains and track.

I have taken up rc flying and contrary to another post is not so expensive. I regularly order planes from Hong Kong but everything needed for building and flying is available here.

PS. If you bring your railway and move anywhere near Pattaya let us know as would love to come and see your models.

Yes, it's called Modelrailroad Siam and is in the Silom Centre (where Central Dept Store is too) on the 1st floor British style, 2nd floor Thai style.

Website modelrailroadsiam.com

There is a model train shop in the Sala Daeng area on Silom Road - saw it a few weeks ago - it's in one of the shopping malls adjacent to the BTS on the opposite side of the road from Robinson Dept. Could be in the same building as Central Dept store - or joined to it. It's on the first floor up from ground - at the top of escalator there's a coffee shop, then the model train shop is a little way behind it.

Yes, it's called Modelrailroad Siam and is in the Silom Centre (where Central Dept Store is too) on the 1st floor British style, 2nd floor Thai style.

Website modelrailroadsiam.com

And I saw a reference to this shop, Big Boy Toys

...If you bring your railway and move anywhere near Pattaya let us know as would love to come and see your models.

Regrettably I'm moving to Khon Kaen at this time

Hi Boatguy,

Bring your stuff along when you move over here.Buying it locally is rather expensive, the stuff cost more than if you import on your own(incl freight and custom duties).Having a home layout is Ok, however you have to train up the locals to look with their eyes only, they have the bad habit to look with their fingers.

Came across a website of local model railroaders(in Bangkok),however it was in Thai only.There are some foreign modelers here too(I'm one), but I guess they are spread all over the kingdom, no way to find them(even not in the Thaivisa 'hobby' section).

Ok,I hope you get a layout set up when you arrive over here, it is an enjoyable hobby plus it keeps you away from wine,woman and song B)

Cheers

Maxa

..Bring your stuff along when you move over here.Buying it locally is rather expensive, the stuff cost more than if you import on your own(incl freight and custom duties).Having a home layout is Ok, however you have to train up the locals to look with their eyes only, they have the bad habit to look with their fingers.

I'll have to keep that finger looking in mind...i had suspected just the opposite. :huh:

Came across a website of local model railroaders(in Bangkok),however it was in Thai only. There are some foreign modelers here too (I'm one), but I guess they are spread all over the kingdom, no way to find them(even not in the Thaivisa 'hobby' section).

Surprising in this computer/communication age.

Ok,I hope you get a layout set up when you arrive over here, it is an enjoyable hobby plus it keeps you away from wine, woman and song B)

Cheers

Maxa

I thought about that as well... I think I led that bachelor life for long enough...till age 65

What scale do you model? ..And what do you do about power pack voltages?

Like any other hobby here import taxes kill you, I like rc flying but dont do it because whats availible here is crap.

I fly RC here and have found I can get anything I need, even Great Planes, Sullivan and DuBro parts here quite easily. Many shops in CM and BKK. The fuel I buy comes from the UK or USA and is only slightly more expensive than where it comes from. The only thing not available are kits. You might consider giving RC flying another shot here.

Sure agree with you on the import duties. I ordered a plane from back home and when it came in the duty was more than the order. Never again..... I am sure that would apply to model train parts too.

What scale do you model? ..And what do you do about power pack voltages?

Done O and N, however final settled on HO. You can get 220V to 110V transformers here, however assume you want 220V to 16V/5A or so....also available.

Done O and N, however final settled on HO. You can get 220V to 110V transformers here, however assume you want 220V to 16V/5A or so....also available.

I had some Lionel as a kid, then some American Flyer. But when I restarted in the hobby HO was so prevalent, so to-scale, and less expensive than almost all the others, so I chose that as well.

Not to long ago I ran across a great buy on some O-scale, 2 rail freight cars...bought a whole bunch of them. Then of course I had to have some track and a locomotive. ...found those items on Ebay. So here is a search I did, and some photos of what I ended up with: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17752

As far as power is concerned I thought I might just utilize the 110 power packs (multiple) that I have...just plug them into a master transformer that reduces Thai current down to USA 110. I'm hoping the 50/60 cycle difference doesn't affect things adversely. And I am concerned particularly with this frequency difference when utilizing the NCE digital command control (DCC) power I hope to convert most of my other trains over to, particularly with their sound functions.

Okay lets see if I can attach a photo to this message. If it works, and you wish to see more, have a look at the link I provided

Cheers

post-31799-045382400 1285810660_thumb.jp

post-31799-060420400 1285810700_thumb.jp

Edited by boatguy

...I fly RC here and have found I can get anything I need, even Great Planes, Sullivan and DuBro parts here quite easily. Many shops in CM and BKK. The fuel I buy comes from the UK or USA and is only slightly more expensive than where it comes from. The only thing not available are kits. You might consider giving RC flying another shot here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't many of the model planes these days fly on electric motors with rechargeable batteries??

Sure agree with you on the import duties. I ordered a plane from back home and when it came in the duty was more than the order. Never again..... I am sure that would apply to model train parts too.

I always use the missus name as receiver.EMS is Ok, DHL is bad, Priority Airmail from the US is Ok.Received high value packages without any import duty being charged, others where just the opposite.For RC, I would try to get the stuff from nearby Singapore,after all, postage is included when calculating import taxes.

Model railway stuff in local shops is more expensive than your own import plus the selection is pretty much confined to RTR only,nothing to be had for fine scale modelers or scratch builders(Try to obtain a small piece of brass sheet or rod, impossible).Anyway,compared to import tax in western countries, the Thai one is not too bad.

>>>As far as power is concerned I thought I might just utilize the 110 power packs (multiple) that I have...just plug them into a master transformer that reduces Thai current down to USA 110. I'm hoping the 50/60 cycle difference doesn't affect things adversely. And I am concerned particularly with this frequency difference when utilizing the NCE digital command control (DCC) power I hope to convert most of my other trains over to, particularly with their sound functions.<<<<<<

You are better off buying a 220VAC to 16VDC/5A transformer her. Don't worry about the cycle,the input to your NCE DCC setup is DC.

The loco you got off e-bay is good looking B)

Do you have enough space in your 'new' home to set up a reasonable large O gauge layout?

..You are better off buying a 220VAC to 16VDC/5A transformer her. Don't worry about the cycle,the input to your NCE DCC setup is DC.

I believe the NCE DCC unit is PARTICULARLY sensitive to over-voltage...if i remember correctly it does NOT want to look at anything over 16 volts. So are those transformers you speak of pretty accurate?

I've also heard of lots of power surges here in Thailand. Any suggestions on protection to those equips plugged into those transformers. BTW you are talking to an 'electrically challenged' person...great mechanically, but mental block sometimes on electrical matters.

Do you have enough space in your 'new' home to set up a reasonable large O gauge layout?

I do not at the moment. I am looking at buying the townhouse next door to our end unit. that would give me space, but I'm not so sure about using that unit in that manner.

i had in the back of my mind setting up a layout (HO principally & maybe small O) in a coffee shop/explorers club atmosphere. ...make it available to the public. Figured I might find a small shop nearby at a reasonable rent that might just be covered by some minimal charge for coffee, or computer, or mini library conjunctively...just enough income to break even on the rent of the shop. OR maybe find some other business man who might recognize the potential customer draw such an unusual display might present. ...searching for ideas?? ...before I bring all this stuff over here.

Edited by boatguy

...I fly RC here and have found I can get anything I need, even Great Planes, Sullivan and DuBro parts here quite easily. Many shops in CM and BKK. The fuel I buy comes from the UK or USA and is only slightly more expensive than where it comes from. The only thing not available are kits. You might consider giving RC flying another shot here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't many of the model planes these days fly on electric motors with rechargeable batteries??

Electric planes and helicopters are indeed very popular. I like using fuel though as I get longer flight times, it smells better, and I don't have to worry about charging and maintaining expensive battery packs. Just call me a retro-grouch!

You are quite correct boatguy. I would think there are now more people using "electric" power than fuel. It's much more clean and convenient and the development of motors and batteries is getting better and cheaper all the time.

It is in the same shopping mall as Central Silom.

>>>>>I believe the NCE DCC unit is PARTICULARLY sensitive to over-voltage...if i remember correctly it does NOT want to look at anything over 16 volts. So are those transformers you speak of pretty accurate?<<<<<<

Can't confirm that(bought mine abroad together with the DCC system many years ago),however it should be safe enough with a local made product.

>>>>>>I've also heard of lots of power surges here in Thailand. Any suggestions on protection to those equips plugged into those transformers. BTW you are talking to an 'electrically challenged' person...great mechanically, but mental block sometimes on electrical matters.<<<<<<

You can buy any kind of surge protectors here....personally I don't use any,despite the occasional blackouts,brownouts,etc.....just unplug any sensitive equipment when such a thing occurs B)

You are quite correct boatguy. I would think there are now more people using "electric" power than fuel. It's much more clean and convenient and the development of motors and batteries is getting better and cheaper all the time.

There are endless arguments on gas vs electric on the RC Flying forums and in the end, each person has to make their own decision. I've got electric planes and gas, and the gas planes fly longer and are more simple to maintain and operate. Up to you!

...There are endless arguments on gas vs electric on the RC Flying forums and in the end, each person has to make their own decision. I've got electric planes and gas, and the gas planes fly longer and are more simple to maintain and operate. Up to you!

I don't fly these so I'm not knowledgeable about them, but I was led to believe that the electrics flew longer and were easier to maintain? I'll visit those other 'flying forums' you mention one of these days when I finish all the 'honey do' list. :whistling::D