Bangkok Expressway Directions From North To Sathorn

sambai

I have to travel from the northern Expressway, past Don Muang airport to Sathorn Road exit. I have tried before and took the Dao Kanong route past Sukhumvit and Rama 4 area etc. but then turning right before Dao Kanong, to get to Sathorn. It's fine but I know it's a long way, and in heavy traffic it could take ages.

Could anyone advise which to take. I know there are some exits just after Din Daeng tollway booth, but I don't know if they're the ones. Thanks.

What part of Sathorn is your final destination (end-to-end in traffic takes a lonnnnnnggg time)?

If you get on at the Din Daeng toll, and continue straight (not following the sign to the left that says ''Sukhumvit'' - you will end up at the same place anyway), you can exit at Rama 4 and then turn right. After turning right on Rama 4, the next intersection is Sathorn. Turn left there and you'll be on Sathorn (OZ embassy, Banyan Tree, Metropolitan Hotel, etc. etc.).

From what I read, you went past the exit I mentioned, and then proceeded to go all of the way around the city and then got off at the exit for the other end of Sathorn. I suppose you could do that if you needed to go to that end of Sathorn....

Third option is similar to your round-about way to the back end of Sathorn: after paying at Din Daeng, proceed toward Sukhumvit (to the left), then follow the Sukhumvit u-turnish flyover, then go back toward Chaeng Wattana but keep left at the the Victory Monument exit, then you are now on the 2nd Stage Expressway going south, and you exit at Sathorn. This is just as round-about as the way you did it, of not worse.

If you have access to the 2nd Stage Chaenwattana Expressway from further north (Prachacheun, etc.), then you can just take that straight downtown to get off at Sathorn (Though you did mention you were coming from past the old airport which means I'd think you're coming down Vipawadee.)

The first way I described would be the way I'd do it (and the way I DO do it). Just get off at the Rama 4 exit (after you go over the bridge crossing Sukhumvit and the skytrain, etc.). Exit to the left, stay in the right lane, and turn right.

Hope I helped and didn't confuse more... :P

Third option is similar to your round-about way to the back end of Sathorn: after paying at Din Daeng, proceed toward Sukhumvit (to the left), then follow the Sukhumvit u-turnish flyover, then go back toward Chaeng Wattana but keep left at the the Victory Monument exit, then you are now on the 2nd Stage Expressway going south, and you exit at Sathorn. This is just as round-about as the way you did it, of not worse.

If you have access to the 2nd Stage Chaenwattana Expressway from further north (Prachacheun, etc.), then you can just take that straight downtown to get off at Sathorn (Though you did mention you were coming from past the old airport which means I'd think you're coming down Vipawadee.)

The first way I described would be the way I'd do it (and the way I DO do it). Just get off at the Rama 4 exit (after you go over the bridge crossing Sukhumvit and the skytrain, etc.). Exit to the left, stay in the right lane, and turn right.

Thanks very much. No, Rama 4 is not a helpful route for me. I have used Rama 4 Road before, and since my destination is close to Sathorn exit and the Chan Road exit of the Expressway, the Rama 4 Sukhumvit Expressway is not the best way.

I *know* there is a route that can take me from north to south, getting off at Sathorn Road exit, because I have passed it before in that direction and it is clearly marked, Sathorn Road.

I am coming from Pathumthani, passing Don Muang airport and I need to get to Sathorn Road or Chan Road exit. I think the point you made about Prachacheun is probably the one I need, but I do not know that route, or where Prachacheun is.

Thanks.

Thanks very much. No, Rama 4 is not a helpful route for me. I have used Rama 4 Road before, and since my destination is close to Sathorn exit and the Chan Road exit of the Expressway, the Rama 4 Sukhumvit Expressway is not the best way.

I *know* there is a route that can take me from north to south, getting off at Sathorn Road exit, because I have passed it before in that direction and it is clearly marked, Sathorn Road.

I am coming from Pathumthani, passing Don Muang airport and I need to get to Sathorn Road or Chan Road exit. I think the point you made about Prachacheun is probably the one I need, but I do not know that route, or where Prachacheun is.

Thanks.

You're welcome. Yeah the exit that you've seen with the direct Sathorn exit is if you're on the 2nd Stage Expressway (Chaengwattana), you won't be able to access it directly from the Din Daeng tollway unfortunately.

The only way to get there from the Din Daeng tollbooth is to do the round-about I described above (pay toll - stay left - follow sukhumvit sign which brings you on a u-turn flyover and instead of going left toward Sukhumvit, you go right back toward Chaengwattana (back-tracking a bit).... then the next fork is Victory Monument one way/Chaenwattana the other way - you follow the Victory Monument way on the expressway and then you'll be going south again and you can get the Sathorn exit you mentioned. It's actually not that bad, I've done it before for lack of choices (and I think it's shorter than doing what you've done previously going way around the Dao Khanong route.... also the way I mentioned above has more left turns at major freeway mergers which is faster).

If you could access the 2nd Stage Chaengwattana Expressway then you do the direct-to-Sathorn route - that's why I mentioned Prachacheun (because it's pretty much the closest you're going to get ). Vipawadee runs North/South. The 2nd Stage Expressway however, runs NorthEast/Southwest.... so while they intersect at Din Daeng (you're basically under the 2nd Stage Expressway when you're at Din Daeng), they diverge the further you get from the city.... so by the time you get to Don Muang and beyond, they are quite far apart. The only thing I could say would be to get off Vipawadee at Ratchada (the sign will say Prachachen one way Ratchada the other, so you go up the ramp and then veer right toward Prachacheun). Then you'll drive for a kilometer or so and on your left will be the Prachacheun entrance to the 2nd Stage Expressway which will get you right to where you need to go.

I'm afraid those are really your only options - grab a map and you'll see what I mean if I haven't explained myself clearly (I probably haven't :P )

Is this a one-time thing you need to do or do you need to do it often? What time of the day?

You could also just take Vipawadee and exit to Pahonyothin and then park at the Mo Chit BTS park-and-ride and take the BTS to Chong Nonsi. I've never done that, but if you are a BTS-rider then it's probably the fastest way....