When Do I Have To Leave The Country?

Ok, my one term contract with my School is coming to an end, in fact I should have finished 2 weeks ago but we extended to help the School out of a situation. I am pretty sure its not being extended after this term for next term however my visa is stamped until the 15th December. My 90 days reporting says the 13th December. Do I really have to leave a week after my contract finishes? Any advice appreciated.

Angsta

That depends on if you are on an extension of stay or still on 90 day entries with a valid visa. Since you are doing 90 day reports I guess you are on an extension of stay.

In that case you have to leave the country the same day your job ends, basically the last day over which you are getting paid. If need be you can get a 7 day extension from immigration for 1,900 baht.

You need to cancel both WP and extension of stay with a letter from the school stating the last day of your employment.

That depends on if you are on an extension of stay or still on 90 day entries with a valid visa. Since you are doing 90 day reports I guess you are on an extension of stay.

In that case you have to leave the country the same day your job ends, basically the last day over which you are getting paid. If need be you can get a 7 day extension from immigration for 1,900 baht.

You need to cancel both WP and extension of stay with a letter from the school stating the last day of your employment.

A real crazy question maybe; What if my job ended on a Saturday or was told at 5:00 pm on a Friday? How could I report to immigration to cancel work permit or visa and ask for a 7 day extension or am I allowed to remain until next working day for immigration?

Just asking...

Thanks

Dan

A real crazy question maybe; What if my job ended on a Saturday or was told at 5:00 pm on a Friday? How could I report to immigration to cancel work permit or visa and ask for a 7 day extension or am I allowed to remain until next working day for immigration?

In this case you should go to Immigration for cancellation on their last working day before your employment ends.

If you were fired at 17:00 on a Friday, then your employer could not physically notify Immigration before the following Monday at the earliest, so I guess you could go on the following Monday if it wasn't a public holiday.

In this case you should go to Immigration for cancellation on their last working day before your employment ends.

If you were fired at 17:00 on a Friday, then your employer could not physically notify Immigration before the following Monday at the earliest, so I guess you could go on the following Monday if it wasn't a public holiday.

What if he were fired at, say, 16:10 on Friday, and it was a 49 minute motor-cycle journey to immigration. If, on the way, the ex-teacher was stopped by a cop for tea money, and the negotiations took more than one minute, would the ex-teacher have a valid excuse, or would he be persona-non-grata over the weekend?

Ok, well here is the deal. My term ends tomorrow. All I have heard from my boss is I will have a new contract however numerous reliable sources at School have asked me why I am leaving so basically I am pretty confident that contract is never going to appear. So what do I do? My work permit runs until December as well.

So is it the day they decide or my last day or the day I am informed that I have to leave/get an extension. I am 2 hours from immigration, 3 from a border. Basically I am being employed by MediaKids, they said its all agreed and the contract for next term will be with me next week. If it isn't and I am sat here waiting am I liable? My feeling is my boss is a coward and she is avoiding the issue. I also doubt they will contact immigration straight away, this is not Bangkok. If I leave the Country this weekend will immigration demand a letter from my School (this is the Nong Khai border crossing). Its a bit of a fuc_ker to be honest.

Any thoughts?

I take it staying hoping they don't cancel the visa is a bad idea? Thought so.

Ok, well here is the deal. My term ends tomorrow. All I have heard from my boss is I will have a new contract however numerous reliable sources at School have asked me why I am leaving so basically I am pretty confident that contract is never going to appear. So what do I do? My work permit runs until December as well.

So is it the day they decide or my last day or the day I am informed that I have to leave/get an extension. I am 2 hours from immigration, 3 from a border. Basically I am being employed by MediaKids, they said its all agreed and the contract for next term will be with me next week. If it isn't and I am sat here waiting am I liable? My feeling is my boss is a coward and she is avoiding the issue. I also doubt they will contact immigration straight away, this is not Bangkok. If I leave the Country this weekend will immigration demand a letter from my School (this is the Nong Khai border crossing). Its a bit of a fuc_ker to be honest.

Any thoughts?

I take it staying hoping they don't cancel the visa is a bad idea? Thought so.

To me it seems ok to wait; at the moment your extension is until the 13th December, based on working for your current employer, who has told you that you will get another contract and you have a current work permit.

I would wait and see if the new contract is forth coming, if not then then they should give you a letter that you can take to immigration to start the cancellation process; you could always for the letter to be post dated to give you a little time to draw up a plan/arrange travel.

But what if the school doesn't cancel his work permit? Would the OP still need to go through all the paper work to cancel, trip to immigration, etc? Seems to me immigration would just assume he's still working.