Does Anyone Know What These Chips From Chiang Mai Are?

Kilgore Trout

My wife always brings these chips back from Chiang Mai when she goes; they are dead cheap and quite delicious; they have a seemingly natural buttery taste. I asked my wife what they were and she wasn't sure; asked a vendor and was told they are some kind of Thai potato.

The chips are white, a bit larger and thicker than regular crisps.

After seeing the photo I am inclined to say they are yuca chips.They look exactly the same.We like them with salt and garlic on them.The wife says that they could be some type of squash ,since you say they are buttery tasting.

Interesting; what is yuca?

Anyway, they tase great; it doesn't seem like anything is added so perhaps completely natural (and healthy).

I'm surprised they are not more popular, they are excellent.

My wife gets them at warorot market CM.

After seeing the photo I am inclined to say they are yuca chips.They look exactly the same.We like them with salt and garlic on them.The wife says that they could be some type of squash ,since you say they are buttery tasting.

Interesting; what is yuca?

Anyway, they tase great; it doesn't seem like anything is added so perhaps completely natural (and healthy).

I'm surprised they are not more popular, they are excellent.

My wife gets them at warorot market CM.

Thanks I'll head off to Warorot this afternoon to see what I can find out. Competition for KrispyKreme donuts?

I just bought some in Warorot - delicious buttery taste. It's expensive - 300 Baht for a bag. It's made from DURIAN (also called stinky fruit), a delicacy - hence the high price tag.

My wife insists these are different and not made from durian, and they are 100 baht for a big bag.

Apparently, after some harsh interrogation :lol: I have found out that they are made from "man sampalang" which after some internet research I found out is cassava (same as yuca). I have heard of this vegetable before; I know its popular in Africa and apparently part of it is posionous. I hope for my sake they prepared it right :lol: It is apparently the third largest source of carbs in the world.

Anyway, I do suggest you try them now that we actually know what they are :D

• 3 weeks later...