B5 Damaging Commonrail Engines. Does It?

Changian

I used to use regular Diesel most of the time in my 2007 Triton 2.5L 4WD but a few months ago switched to B5 as it's a bit cheaper and the performance seems the same.

A couple of weeks ago a Thai guy I know who fixes cars for a hobby said you shouldnt use B5 in pickups as it damages the engine. I laughed it off as I hadn't seen anything to the contrary and later did a quick Google and couldn't see anything that seemed to point to a problem.

Today my engine warning light came on, for the first time ever, done about 70,000km. I went to the local garage as it was on the way home. Mechanic said shouldn't use B5 as it damages the engine. He changed the filter as it was full of gunk and that appeared to fix it. No warning light for the next few km, but then it came on again. Engine feels fine on the flat, no strange noises or vibration at all, but did seem a bit more sluggish than usual going up a steep hill

( I saw another thread here where someone mentions B5 actually cleans the engine so a build up of gunk in the filters after the engine has run on regular diesel for a long time isnt unexpected. But is B5 bad or is this just a temporary problem that will be solved once all the crap if out of the engine? )

Will take the car to a Mitsu service centre in a couple of days to get it checked properly but in the meantime I just wondered if anyone else had heard the 'B5 is evil' stories or if there was any truth in them.

My SsangYongg Stavic runs quite rough on B5, I have the feeling there is a metallic clickety-clack in the engine. Changing back to "normal" diesel fuel cures it within about half a tankload. I use B5 just if there is nothing else, but never more than 200 Baht worth. Best experience is with Shell Powerdiesel. By the way, the car got a Benz-lincensed 2.7l engine made in Korea, turbocharged, gives about 170 HP. My advice would be: don't look at the small money, repair will cost big money.

Thanks. ( And thanks to the people who sent PMs ) Seems like there is probably a problem with B5 after all but not one that manufacturers or oil companies like to make public.

manufactorers want their trucks to be B5 compatible. Some 2007 get damaged, some dont.

Seems safe from 2009 models upwards

To concude:

The Mitsu Chantaburi guys spent 30 minutes tinkering and fixed the problem for the princely sum of 300 Baht and also cleaned the car for free too. And I got a free bag. A sensor had gone off due to some problem with dirty fuel. So he wanted to know where I'd filled up recently.

I virtually always full up at PTT stations - simply because they have Amazon coffee and a 7-eleven. However, the last two times have been at the Shell station in Klaeng which I only stopped at as they have very good iced coffee - and free wifi and mother in law wanted the toilet - which are spotless and have won 'Toilet of the Year' awards in the past. (But I digress).

So in my case it wasn't related to B5. Apparently problem to use B5 in the truck.

Dude--how'd you get banned overnight?

Anyway, I know you can't reply now but avoid the PTT station in Klong Prao. Their pumps are 'fixed' to show more liters than actually delivered and the fuel is way overpriced plus the B5 (and prob the other brands as well) are watered-down. I found out the hard way...

I've never had a problem with the Shell station near Chai Chet and nobody I know has either.

B5, 5% biodiesel,

Advantage: higher cretane rating, cheaper (government subsidized)

Disadvantage:

cold starts/cold running causes coloration smoke,

If to cold the biodiesel can turn into a jelly....

It corrodes the engine quicker, and fuel systems

gaskets, orings etc will fail quicker,

it removes deposits from fuel system resulting in clogged filters

If you ask me, the small premium on diesel is well worth the disadvantages you would get from bio diesel.

• Like 1

All normal Diesel in Thailand is now B3 (3% Bio-diesel).

B5 is 5% Bio-diesel.

They are both virtually identical fuels.

100% petro-diesel is available - at a cost premium & is only avaialable at a limited number of filling stations nation-wide.