I Live In Thailand And Want To Take My Gf To Uk For Holiday

I have searched through the forum and found many threads on getting tourist visa's for girls to go to see their bf's in the UK. My thing is slightly different in that I have lived and worked in Thailand for three years. I am going to the UK next year and would like to take my gf with me for a 2 week holiday. We will both be returning to our respective jobs at the end of the holiday.

Is the procedure the same?

We also want to visit Italy during this trip so I am guessing I will need a Schengen Visa as well. Advice welcomed.

The procedure is the same although clearly some of the evidence you present will be different (e.g. you won't need to show that you own/rent a suitable residence in the UK to accommodate your visitor but instead will need to show sufficient funds for accommodation for both of you during your holiday). I suspect that the fact that you work and live in Thailand would be a positive - gives the applicant an additional reason to return to Thailand. "Insufficient reason to return" is the most frequently cited grounds for denial.

Yes, you will also need a Schengen visa and if Italy is your first and/or principal destination in the Schengen Zone, then you should apply at the Italian Embassy. Be aware that the combined application processes could take 6 weeks or more, particularly during periods of high demand (e.g. before Thai school holidays), so it would be wise to apply early. The standard UK social visit visa is valid for six months from date of issue, so I would recommend applying for the UK visa first, then the Schengen. Schengen visas are often issued with shorter validities than the standard 90 days and if it it your GF's first visit ro Europe, don't be surprised if you get a visa valid for a very short period around your proposed dates of travel. I've seen a Schengen visa (issued by Italy) that was single-entry, valid for a two week entry period and for a 7 day stay, because this is the stay the applicant had specified.

Edited by KamnanT