A Trip To The Zoo

PanzerJohn

A mate sent me this, made me chuckle.....

"Like a pratt, I thought it would be a good idea to go to the zoo. So, up early and got stuck in traffic all the way, slight rain but never mind, so far so good.

Taxi driver has no change, that old chestnut.

Upon arrival where entry is 50 baht, I get charged 100 baht as I am a white man. Slight annoyance at this point. Oh well, it's only a quid...(it's the principle actually).

Rain has stopped, so now a rather unpleasant steam, coming up from the grubby tarmac and concrete road. My interest in animals a beginning to diminish somewhat.

Upon entry, Thai style chaos. Everything in English is totally misspelled, animals are all labelled wrongly and building works going on everywhere, reminiscent of the Commonwealth Games. Some Thais were banging loudly on the windows trying to "wake up" the nocturnal animals, despite copious signs telling them not to. One idiot had cut a hole in the chimpanzee enclosure so he could throw chips and burgers ( copious signs say "don't...) to his close relatives within, sitting near enough to climb through the holes and make good their escape.

I'm back now with beer in the fridge, ready to have an easy afternoon. Now I know why it is 9 years since I last went to the bloody Dusit Zoo!"

I only liked the snake house. Of course you have to pay extra for that.

Never paid extra to go inside the snake house. Much cooler in there too. :lol:

When I was last there, I saw a deer running around (trying to run around) its leg bone was busted at a right angle. :( Poor thing must have been in alot of pain. I spoke to Zoo staff about it and they were not interested at all. :annoyed:

I don't like the thought of any animal caged up. ;)

Imagine being locked up for life for a crime you didn't do. :(

Yah mean like some expats here who went with a Thai miss to live in an Issan village?:rolleyes:

Just like me ..so i payed 40baht in tea money at the local Amphur to get divorced ..and now i am freeeeeeeeee rolleyes.gif

Edited by welsh1

Well I did not pay for it, and it was last Saturday blink.gif

Oh, and I paid only 50THB at the entrance, I got my wife to explain to the ticket counter I was not a tourist, and I should not pay more than her, or my kids. And it worked whistling.gif

Oh, and I paid only 50THB at the entrance, I got my wife to explain to the ticket counter I was not a tourist, and I should not pay more than her, or my kids. And it worked whistling.gif

Why am I not surprised -_-"

always show my work permit me ..then you pay same price as Thais rolleyes.gif

DusitZooMapL_750.jpg

I accompanied a group of schoolkids there 14th this month (from sth Sa Kaeo) I'd looked at the website previously so had some idea what to expect, we'd been told there was construction underway, didn't impact on the visit.

It's a 'kids zoo' in my estimation, could never compare with big international zoos - the land available determines that.

Maybe some signs were incorrect - not something I'd complain about I think this is a common 'complaint' in many countries where English is the minority language. And face it, it is.

The entry fees are clearly detailed on their website, and at the entrance. As I was with Thai kids I wasn't asked, and no extra 'foreigner fee'.

The school had pre-booked for a 'train' trip around the zoo area, then free time for kids to wander, pre-paid lunch in the food court then the seal show which thankfully lasted just 25 minutes. There is a limit to how long three performing seals can entertain.

In summary - rate it for what it is, for 50 or even 100 baht it's a pleasant enough time filler.

For 'country kids' they will remember the day trip for a very long time, I'm sure it met their expectations.

Korat zoo is a pleasant way to spend a few hours. They hire out golf buggies so you can dart around. Entrance fee was about 30 baht or so.

Avoid Lopburi zoo. Unless it's changed from when I visited it's a depressing dump.

I got my zoos mixed up. The one I visited in Bangkok DID have an extra charge for the reptile exhibit. I guess I haven't been to the Dusit zoo. I just went with a Thai and she chose the zoo. The only other proper zoo I've visited is the one in Chiang Mai. I prefer it because it's more spread out and most animals have more room. However, I DO understand the complaint about poor enclosures for animals. I probably hate the common practise more, of chaining an elephant to a stake. That truly is sad for such an intellegent animal.