4 Door, 4X Wheel Drive Pick Up

gymboy33

decided on getting a 4 door 4x wheel drive pick up,,

had a look at the hilux, triton, and d-max..so far

probaly like the triton 4 looks the most...

dont really know much about pick ups,so dont really know what to look for???lol

what do other tv ppl have and recommoend?

interested in other ppls views..

regsards

gymboy33

dmax is the oldest one of the 3 mentioned, and replacement on its way. poor brakes, dated 3 sensor ABS and lousy crash safety

Mitsu is good, sales not very good, 4 door bed is only 130 cm long

Toyota Hilux Vigo is Thailand most sold pickup, and top model has the highest spec available in LOS, the only one with VSC/ESP/stabilitycontrol available in LOS

Would also have a look at Nissan Navara, good spec, lower price than Vigo. Crash safety not on par with Mitsu and Hiliux though. sales in LOS 20% of Hilux

Edited by katabeachbum

thx 4 yr replys guys...

had a look at the navara and the colorado

but the guy said you'd have to 3 month once u put the order in,,so i've sort off croosed dat off my list..

most are offering the first year free insurance....

Im buying thru finance,,,should i expekt a discount off their ticket prices???

so far nissan offered 30k straight away and misu said she can offer discount..

cheers

thx 4 yr replys guys...

but the guy said you'd have to 3 month once u put the order in,,so i've sort off croosed dat off my list..

cheers

Don't know where you are buying but if Nissan Rayong is an option for you,it should be possible to get it delivered within a week.For sure there will be dealers in other regions which also can deliver out of stock but I have such a feeling that you are talking about the Pattaya dealer which is a branch of the Chonburi dealership.

As for the discount I bought a Navara about 4 months ago in Rayong and got 30.000 cash discount,free 1st class insurance Virya,a lot of original accessories and finance at 1.75 %.Of course they will not offer you this right away.

I am a Nissan fan however I hear the Navara is rather thirsty.

I guess about 20% better milage then a vigo.

comparing apples with apples, there is no way a 2,5 VN navara 144hp runs 20% cheaper than 2,5 VN approx 144hp/340Nm Vigo

OK, 9.5 liter/100km.Now your turn to post your figure Mr Toyoda. :D

By the way it is a public secret that the Vigo is the biggest gas guzzler in it's class.

Edited by basjke

I am a Nissan fan however I hear the Navara is rather thirsty.

I guess about 20% better milage then a vigo.

comparing apples with apples, there is no way a 2,5 VN navara 144hp runs 20% cheaper than 2,5 VN approx 144hp/340Nm Vigo

OK, 9.5 liter/100km.Now your turn to post your figure Mr Toyoda. :D

By the way it is a public secret that the Vigo is the biggest gas guzzler in it's class.

comparing apples and oranges, 11 liter/100km at highway speed 160 kmh, last trip 3800km. 4x4 3,0VN auto 4 door loaded with 5-700kg

and please dont call me mr toyoda, next time I need a new pickup perhaps an updated Navara is the best choise;)

and my cars are 2008 Honda Accord 2,4 and 2010 Fiesta

OK, 9.5 liter/100km.

9.5L / 100KM equals 10.5 KM/L

10-13 KM/L is the standard range for current-gen 2.5L diesels, (9-12 KM/L for 3.xL). The only way you'd get less than 10KM/L in a current-gen 2.5L TD would be by sitting on 160+, or continuously going nowhere ;)

Your numbers are at the lower end of the ball-park - you must like to put your foot down (or sit in traffic a lot) :)

and please dont call me mr toyoda, next time I need a new pickup perhaps an updated Navara is the best choise;)

The prospect of a 5cyl 3.2L TD pickup with tuning capability > 300HP with a piggyback only doesn't interest? ;)

5 or 6 speed DSG, 4 door with min 150cm bed, and less than 1 mill baht? I m in:)

is it a Tata?

The prospect of a 5cyl 3.2L TD pickup with tuning capability > 300HP with a piggyback only doesn't interest? ;)

5 or 6 speed DSG, 4 door with min 150cm bed, and less than 1 mill baht? I m in:)

is it a Tata?

Maybe a Cherry?

thx 4 yr replys guys...

cheers

Which Nissan Dealer was that? Keep us posted on how you get on with your bargaining - I'm looking too.

When's this for sale in LOS then?

Nov/Dec 2011

Ta. Looks/sounds good but too long...

thx 4 yr replys guys...

cheers

If you're after money off, then why not just drop 2 driving wheels out of the equation? Now admittedly I'm not traipsing across rice paddies with my 2WD Toyota, but there hasn't been one occasion I've been close to stuck? On some pretty slippery clay tracks, 30' inclines included. Unless you're expecting to cover some SERIOUS off-roading the extra traction is COMPLETELY unnecessary. 99.9% of the time you'll be in 2WD mode anyway to save astronomical fuel bills anyway...

Combined with a larger turning circle, higher servicing/repair bills, higher taxation bracket on the 4-doors too, it really begs the question; why the hel_l bother? Oh yeah, there are a few tossers (present company excepted, of course!) who like to feel superior sitting higher than the rest, other than the other tossers in fourby's?! Higher C of G also means abysmal handling, wallowing around the bends & wearing your sidewalls to boot.

4doors tells me you'll never be shifting a serious payload, ergo, never that likely to need the off-road capabilities either? If you MUST play 'King of the Castle', why not save a fortune and have your 2WD jacked up instead? BigFoot if you like? :whistling: Ooh! And one of those hi-level 'Snorkel' intake/exhaust systems? :lol: Sorry, can't help myself sometimes...

4WD? 200,000Km (mostly)on but a fair amount off-road tells me one inescapable fact; Surplus to requirements IMHO.

I'll attempt to assist now rather than just ribbing you? I'd go for the 2WD 3L Vigo and 'Rear Access System' crew cab? You know, suicide doors for back-seat passengers? The bed's similar to the 2door, and leg-room inside the cab almost identical to the 4door version? The bed on the 4door versions are minuscule, I almost guarantee you'll curse that particular choice 2-3times/year. Far more often than you'll regret the 2/4door option anyway; who cares? You're in the front!! :lol:

thx 4 yr replys guys...

cheers

If you're after money off, then why not just drop 2 driving wheels out of the equation? Now admittedly I'm not traipsing across rice paddies with my 2WD Toyota, but there hasn't been one occasion I've been close to stuck? On some pretty slippery clay tracks, 30' inclines included. Unless you're expecting to cover some SERIOUS off-roading the extra traction is COMPLETELY unnecessary. 99.9% of the time you'll be in 2WD mode anyway to save astronomical fuel bills anyway...

Combined with a larger turning circle, higher servicing/repair bills, higher taxation bracket on the 4-doors too, it really begs the question; why the hel_l bother? Oh yeah, there are a few tossers (present company excepted, of course!) who like to feel superior sitting higher than the rest, other than the other tossers in fourby's?! Higher C of G also means abysmal handling, wallowing around the bends & wearing your sidewalls to boot.

4doors tells me you'll never be shifting a serious payload, ergo, never that likely to need the off-road capabilities either? If you MUST play 'King of the Castle', why not save a fortune and have your 2WD jacked up instead? BigFoot if you like? :whistling: Ooh! And one of those hi-level 'Snorkel' intake/exhaust systems? :lol: Sorry, can't help myself sometimes...

4WD? 200,000Km (mostly)on but a fair amount off-road tells me one inescapable fact; Surplus to requirements IMHO.

I'll attempt to assist now rather than just ribbing you? I'd go for the 2WD 3L Vigo and 'Rear Access System' crew cab? You know, suicide doors for back-seat passengers? The bed's similar to the 2door, and leg-room inside the cab almost identical to the 4door version? The bed on the 4door versions are minuscule, I almost guarantee you'll curse that particular choice 2-3times/year. Far more often than you'll regret the 2/4door option anyway; who cares? You're in the front!! :lol:

In October 2007, the Swedish auto magazine Teknikens Värld performed an evasive manoeuvre (a moose test) that revealed that the manoeuvrability of Hilux pickup truck was deficient for turning sharply at moderate speeds. The truck failed the test and only the driver's skill prevented it from overturning. After the test Toyota stopped the sales of Hilux equipped with 16 inch wheels in Europe.

So what does one do to prevent the above, fit larger wheels ? . . . . .either way a little disturbing, mind you the little mini Merc suffered the same faults, can't remember how that was rectified.

thx 4 yr replys guys...

cheers

In October 2007, the Swedish auto magazine Teknikens Värld performed an evasive manoeuvre (a moose test) that revealed that the manoeuvrability of Hilux pickup truck was deficient for turning sharply at moderate speeds. The truck failed the test and only the driver's skill prevented it from overturning. After the test Toyota stopped the sales of Hilux equipped with 16 inch wheels in Europe.

So what does one do to prevent the above, fit larger wheels ? . . . . .either way a little disturbing, mind you the little mini Merc suffered the same faults, can't remember how that was rectified.

16" wheels would mean the 2WD version then? Wow, mine's always been as steady as a rock, though admittedly I'm running 205x60's on the front & 215 x 60's on the rear, aquaplaning was a minor concern but has never been an issue. Plus the OEM oil shocks all went after the 1st 18 months' motoring, replaced with gas and have enjoyed far more positive response ever since. Upgraded the torsion bars too just after the shocks, getting all enthusiastic with the new-found sure-footedness!

Really disliked the Bridgestone tyres fitted as standard, so changed to Michelin Energy with those new wheels and swore by them. Only departed from those on two occasions. Once with a set of Toyo's which stuck to the road like sh1t to a blanket (especially in the wet) but a small reduction in wear rates, and this last time with a set of Maxxis I let our local (recently appointed Maxxis dealer, surprise?!) retailer talk me into as they were 500b each cheaper, what a pile of crap they are! Untrustworthy in the wet, and I've only had them on 8months, 3/4 through their life already? Buy cheap, buy twice, they'll certainly never receive any recommendations from me!!

I'll be the first to admit I'm pretty hard on tyres (and clutches, and brakes, and...!), but I could as good as guarantee 2 years and corresponding mileage out of the Michelin tyres? Often plenty of tread left in fact, sidewalls showing hairline cracks and fatigue was the usual reason for replacement.

Edited by Milo

thx 4 yr replys guys...

cheers

Benz calls it ESP, Toyota calls it VSC. In addition to new suspension and new brakes and new rims and new tyres

Vigo VSC is presently the pickup with best traction in LOS

This has gone off topic again with the owners of vehiicles with lesser equipment than the top of the range models. wet.gif

OP you pick and buy whatever YOU like. !!

No one will know what you prefer only YOU.

Ask for advice OK !!

But if you really want to know l would say definitly have a drive of all of them first and then make your decision.

Top of the range Toyota Vigo 4x4 auto 4D-4 is the <deleted>.:D

Edited by Kwasaki

LOL @ you guys :D

IMHO, It's just not right that we members here get all brand-supportive of Japanese makes. Just. Not. Right.

It's meant to be Ford vs GM guys!

That's just the way the world is meant to work...

If we keep going down this track, within no time at all we'll have poster-boys here singing the praises of marques like TATA, Mahindra, Great Wall and Chery. Even worse, we could upset the whole balance of the universe! In my eyes, that's not a bright future gents. :angry:

I can't wait until November 2011 rolls around and the world of pickups gets set right again! ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Last year I bought the vigo 4wd 3lt version.

Done 75k's in it and it still handles and drives as tight as the first day out.

Very quick also for when you need it and had it in 4wd several times, bogs and 45+ degree inclines and handled very well.

I had never had an auto 4wd before, only manual and i have to say it is great. But, for any real long 4wd serious offroad trips, i would prefer the manual, but for highway and around town, no way manual anymore.

I am so far very happy with it, just hope that after the 100k expires that it does not have an in built shit itself device.

I had several new 4wd troopcarriers in Australia that all had serious problems at around 130k's....to much of a coincidence to be normal breakdowns.

LOL @ you guys :D

IMHO, It's just not right that we members here get all brand-supportive of Japanese makes. Just. Not. Right.

It's meant to be Ford vs GM guys!

That's just the way the world is meant to work...

If we keep going down this track, within no time at all we'll have poster-boys here singing the praises of marques like TATA, Mahindra, Great Wall and Chery. Even worse, we could upset the whole balance of the universe! In my eyes, that's not a bright future gents. :angry:

I can't wait until November 2011 rolls around and the world of pickups gets set right again! ;)

Dodge Ram still rules:D