Rayong -- Considering Moving To

netineti

Hello friends!

We are considering to move from Chiang Mai where we are currently staying. I have lovely Thai friends in Rayong, so therefore this came as an option, but i have never been to Rayong or Eastern Thailand at all.

Our reasons to move from Chiang Mai is mostly because of our new-born baby: we believe it's better for him to be near the sea and in a less traffic environment.

I'd be grateful for the following info:

What are the prices for housing in Rayong proper? Are there many foreigners living in the area? How developed is it?

I'd be also glad to read of any ideas or considerations thereof :-)

Have a nice day!

Rayong proper has all the amenities that you will find neccessary for a blissfull existence.

Tesco, Big C, Makro, HomePro, hospitals,etc. If you decide to live outside, the immediate options are fewer but, still acceptable.

Lots of interesting folk here, and some a**holes. You'll just have to make up your own mind.

Best regards,

Rayong is a fairly large province in land area and Maptaphut does not affect all of it.

I would suggest an extended visit with you're friends and come to see the "whole" area before you decide.

And if anyone thinks CM is a clean environment then that person is dreaming.

Thank you all for your kind suggestions!

Indeed, a visit is absolutely necessary.

Which areas would you consider as the cleanest? Something closer to the sea?

Cheers!

Ban Phe? Rather quiet, not dead, but no wild nightlife. Easy trip out to Samet for its famous beaches, but there are some very good ones near town.

Far enough away from Map Tha Phut to avoid any of the pollution, or the polluted atmosphere of Pattaya, but close enough to Rayong if one wants shopping or the amenities of a larger centre.

Beaches are generally clean, some rubbish but not a lot, general flotsam and jetsam. And as it is the jumping off point to Koh Samet, obviously close to the sea.

At this time of year, Rayong beaches are filthy, especially Hat Mae Lam Pung, Kon Aoi and Sunan Son.

Ban Phe is still polluted, its not very far to TPI via the coastline.

Just take a look on the net for all the pollution reports. In a comparison with CM, its not comparison!

• 1 month later...

If you need something clean and more quiet, I was recommend Leam Mea Pim and Suan Son area, now many project and development was build on that area, some foreigner and resturant nearby, But if you need close to the shopping centre/hospital and have night life, I was recommend Ban Chang which many foreigner living there.

I'm thai and Rayong is my hometown, so please feel free to contact me if you have future question.

Good luck!!

spany

The 'nightlife' is ban chang consists mainly of brothels, blow job bars and girlie bars. Rayong nightlife is much more varied and more fun for the non-whoremonger

That is one "strip" of bars in Banchang. There are lots of other things to do in Banchang that don't involve mongering, although I agree that Rayong town is a much better night out.

Just lost a fairly detailed reply.

you really should take a visit.

Rayong is one f the richest Changwats in Thailand

hoe to A LOT of industry

Scandal of pollution at Map ta Phut Industrial estate.

There are many industries along the coast

Automotive

Petro-Chemical

Plastics etc etc

house prices are quite high.

Beaches and other attractions

Many beaches have dubious water quality due to proximity of industry.

koh Samet is part of Rayong.

not far from the beaches of Chantaburi and Trat (inc Koh Chang)

Inland is some pretty countryside - unfortunately the Thai people have not come to grips with the concept of zoning or green bets so you'll come across vast industrial estates too

Maybe there was sense in that lost detailed reply. Obviously, you should take a visit, but a lot of the rest of the stuff he babbled has to be from someone who hasn't been there in a long time.

I live 4 km east of the town of Ban Phe, near Suan Son, and maybe Deeral can see some pollution and rubbish, but the beaches are reasonable.

No, they're not perfect, but some places actually get out daily to clean up in front of themselves. There is no affect whatsoever from Map Tha Phut - none! I wouldn't drink the seawater, but the tapwater is okay, although the taste is a bit off. Not been sick on it yet!

The only reasonable thing he said was to visit - contact some of the people who live there and see what they say about living there, see the place for yourself.

"koh Samet is part of Rayong" And as Rayong is a part of Thailand, by the same reasoning all of Thailand is a polluted sh**hole.

Edit [spelling]

Edited by Maestro
Removed flame,

There is no affect whatsoever from Map Tha Phut - none!

and just to balance it - I completely disagree. The affect is there, every day. And the beaches are fithy. More so this season than any in the last 14 years

Well, I've made it clear just how close to the situation I am. As I've said, I live four kilometers east of the town of Ban Phe. And my house is about 100 meters from the beach.

No affect whatsoever there from Map Tha Phut, and I've not seen any on Samut, either, although out of laziness I rarely go out to the island.

Perhaps Rayongy will inform the thread just where he's looking at the beach from.

And I live in Ban Phe by the aquarium where half my family works for the fisheries department in various roles and have done for 14 years. As I said, its the other side of the argument, though mine is a tad more scientific. I also spend time diving around the area as well as fishing from Phe up to Chong.

Its fuc_ked and this season its worse then ever.

I dont think it really a case of where I am 'looking' at the beach from. we are not talking rubbish on the beach only (though Mae lampung and Kon Ao are vile this year) more so whats actually in the sea.

I also used to work for Satit P and its a well known fact how polluted it is within local and national government.

Make sure ytou shower....

And I live in Ban Phe by the aquarium where half my family works for the fisheries department in various roles and have done for 14 years. As I said, its the other side of the argument, though mine is a tad more scientific. I also spend time diving around the area as well as fishing from Phe up to Chong.

Its fuc_ked and this season its worse then ever.

I dont think it really a case of where I am 'looking' at the beach from. we are not talking rubbish on the beach only (though Mae lampung and Kon Ao are vile this year) more so whats actually in the sea.

I also used to work for Satit P and its a well known fact how polluted it is within local and national government.

Make sure ytou shower....

Thank you for the information Rayongy. We seem to be speaking from different perspectives.

As you say, I'm mainly speaking of rubbish on the beach. Don't usually get over to Mae Raemphung so can't make any comparisons there. And obviously I have no scientific evidence about the quality of the water, just the experience of going swimming occasionally. Maybe showering is a pretty good idea any time one swims in "natural" water.

I often stop one evening for a beer at the restaurant near the aquarium, and the rubbish washing up there is very heavy. I wouldn't meander around the mud flats there, let alone swim anywhere between there and the town. East of the town towards Suon Son and Mae Phim the beaches are cleaner, and don't have the big accumulations of rubbish. Can't speak of the biological content of the water, though.

The 'nightlife' is ban chang consists mainly of brothels, blow job bars and girlie bars. Rayong nightlife is much more varied and more fun for the non-whoremonger

Whats wrong wont Mrs Rayongy let you out on your own ???.....:lol:

After many years in Ban Chang....please tell exactly where these brothels are ??....never came across after living there for 10 years, also where are the BJ bars ??....

There is a strip of Bars/Restuarants where "extra curricula activites" are availble, which is no different from most Thai towns and villiages, but think we are stretching things by describing Ban Chang night lift as consisting "mainly of brothels"....:rolleyes:

Maybe there was sense in that lost detailed reply. Obviously, you should take a visit, but a lot of the rest of the stuff he babbled has to be from someone who hasn't been there in a long time.

I live 4 km east of the town of Ban Phe, near Suan Son, and maybe Deeral can see some pollution and rubbish, but the beaches are reasonable.

No, they're not perfect, but some places actually get out daily to clean up in front of themselves. There is no affect whatsoever from Map Tha Phut - none! I wouldn't drink the seawater, but the tapwater is okay, although the taste is a bit off. Not been sick on it yet!

The only reasonable thing he said was to visit - contact some of the people who live there and see what they say about living there, see the place for yourself.

"koh Samet is part of Rayong" And as Rayong is a part of Thailand, by the same reasoning all of Thailand is a polluted sh**hole.

Edit [spelling]

Quite frankly I'm at a loss to know where to start with your reply.

Perhaps you might start by specifically saying what you find inaccurate about my post?Rather than just launching into an ad hominem attack ?

• 2 weeks later...

Rayong is one of the last provinces I would chose if I had a young child. Too many forms of pollution in the areas where the decent schools and health care facilities are, and the pollutants in the water can be found even a long way away from Maptaphut too. Even Chonburi is better in this respect.