Europeon Budget Airline Coming

nong38

Earlier this year I came across a projected new carrier from Europe. They are called FEEL AIR. The plan is simple for 6 months they fly from Oslo/Stockholm to New York and the other months to Bangkok (summer to New York and winter to Bangkok). They claim they will use wide bodied Airbus aircraft, routes are agreed and expect to knock 50% off prices to make it affordable to all, I think they were looking to start operations this winter and you can find out more and sign up to their news letter at feelair.com It looks interesting as prices are rising elsewhere so I hope this is of use to us all.

According to Wikipedia operations won't start until 2011.

However, it looks like they're going to follow the AirAsia model and charge for luggage, food and entertainment. You can skip those easily enough on short haul flights, but not on long haul. It will depend on what they propose to charge for meals.

Looking at the link to Aftenpost in that article, the ticket price to Bangkok will be 3000 Norwegian Kroner which is about €376 one way. That doesn't compete with Egyptair which costs €636, Turkish Airlines which is about the same and Emirates which costs €736 all of them return ticket prices.

I believe AirAsiaX charge 7A$/7GBP for food which equates to 5/10 EUR.

Entertainment unit is 10A$/7 EUR and luggage is something like under 10 EUR for 15 kgs, a bit more for 20 kgs.

But it seems the airfare is not very competitive... Air Berlin is charging a lot less (sometimes from 180 EUR one way, direct to Bangkok or Phuket) and even Finnair is having regular specials well below 700 EUR return. And if you don't mind stopovers then you won't have a hard time finding flights on middle eastern airlines which seldom charge more than 700 EUR return. Or you do 2 stopovers (KL and London) and fly Airasia.

They would really need to put their regular one-way fare up to max 249 - 299 EUR to fill that plane... otherwise I don't see how they would make any profit.

Well we will have to see what they come up with, if they are not competitive from the off, they have got no chance and the late start may mean cash problems, just thought its one to kep an eye. Incidently the mentioning of Eyptian and Turkish airlines should come with warning that the air safety records are not good, I always look at safety records before I confirm a booking, the last time I looked, those 2 figured in the bottom 10.I will look forward to my newletter to see what I am offered but some say dont hold your breath, I was expecting it last June!

If you live in the UK you will have an additional cost of flying from Oslo/Stockholm to LGW or LHR so its better to look elsewhere. I will not fly Egypt or Turkish airlines. As a last resort BA or Quantas will do but prefer direct flights with EVA or via Dubai with Emirates