Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Opens First Thai Store In Bangkok

Rimmer

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the heat? This is obviously a cunning plan to improve the efficiency of RTP. Anybody who has watched a US crime movie or TV knows that US cops spend most of their shift in a coffee house scoffing doughnuts, drinking the free coffee and trying to make out with the waitress. Way to go Somjai (should that be whey to go?). Should these working practices be made fully operational in LoS we can expect the tight uniforms getting even tighter.

TAT needs to get in on this. A future blurb might well be 'Come to Amazing Thailand. See a cop explode' - or have a heart attack. 

Anyone that says Krispy Kreme is aimed towards American tourists is 100% wrong considering that KK was bordering on total bankruptcy and being sold a few years ago in the U.S. The chain had its run of popularity back in 1999-2000 but it hasn't been a viable name brand for quite a long time. The fact that it's being revived in Thailand is somewhat hilarious. I guess some rich Thai is a little behind on the trend.

The rumor is that the franchise licensing was obscenely expensive as well. After the initial hype there's a pretty good possibility this will flop hard considering Dunkin Donuts, Mr. Donut, and Daddy Donut all have good market penetration. KK doesn't taste unique enough and I doubt the Thai KK chains here will be able to churn out the same quality/taste of fresh donut that the chain was reknown for in the southern U.S.

Anyone that says Krispy Kreme is aimed towards American tourists is 100% wrong considering that KK was bordering on total bankruptcy and being sold a few years ago in the U.S. The chain had its run of popularity back in 1999-2000 but it hasn't been a viable name brand for quite a long time. The fact that it's being revived in Thailand is somewhat hilarious. I guess some rich Thai is a little behind on the trend.

Actually, you might be a little behind the trend. Here's an analysis from this month: "In 1976, Beatrice Foods purchased the chain, but a group of franchisees annexed the company in 1982 and pushed for national expansion in the 90s. Krispy Kreme developed rapidly until it went public in 2000 and hit a growth ceiling. Its stock has plummeted 92% since the onset of 2002. However, a turnaround appears to be in the works. Krispy Kreme swung to a fiscal second-quarter profit of $2.2 million, or 3 cents a share, from a loss of $160,000, or break-even, a year earlier. Revenue grew 6.3%. The company's operating margin expanded from 4.1% to 4.9%. Company store sales remained flat, but same-store sales gained 5.7%. Domestic franchise revenue grew 15% as same store sales rose 5%. International franchise revenue advanced 5.3%, hurt by a 14% drop in same store sales. External supply-chain sales jumped 27%...Though its menu is limited, Krispy Kreme has gained acclaim for outstanding products. It has met health concerns without affecting flavor. All doughnuts are now sans trans fats. With a market value of just $293 million, four analysts cover Krispy Kreme. Three advise purchasing its shares and one advises selling. A median target of $5.50 suggests a return of 29% in the next 12 months. Small-cap focused Roth Capital expects an advance of 41% to $6. BGB Securities reiterates the median target of $5.50 and CL King predicts a gain to $5. Krispy Kreme's stock trades at a forward earnings multiple of 18, a book value multiple of 4 and a sales multiple of 0.8 -- 26%, 32% and 69% discounts to restaurant industry averages."

Mmmm.. cream slice...

gallery_35489_957_74621.jpg

Haaaa a Mille Feuille jap.gif (or Napoleon slices as I have seen some shop calling it).

If you want poper pastries, I suggest you go to Paragorn ndeed, but don't go to KK. Head to Lenotre instead. My favorate place for a coffee in Bangkok till now smile.gif

Of course it is a bit more expensive but the Millefeuille is 85 THB... worth it! Prices are here: http://www.lenotrethailand.com/download/pricelist_lenotre.pdf

I've just sent them a message asking if they have any plans for a store in Phuket. :)

There's plenty of room in Central Festival...

gallery_35489_957_11537.jpg

"Ooh, goody. I can't wait."

Post of the day :lol:

I would rather eat 4 doughnuts from my local Isaan village market than 1 Dunkin Donut (5 baht and quality is not that different). I want to see how many local doughnuts I can eat for the price of a Krispy Creme. It's one of my few treats - the rest of my diet is balanced - oh apart from beer. Oh dear!

You gotta love the anti American talk. So many jealous people. Take a look at this American champion!

Krispy-Kreme-Donut-Bacon-Cheeseburger.jpg

Krispy Kreme Bacon Egg Cheeseburger

2 Krispy Kreme donuts with a 1/4 burger, fried egg, 4 strips of bacon, and 3 pieces of cheese in between.

Scruffy little Angeles City in the Philippines opened their Krispy Kreme about 6 months ago.

I think a plain KK glazed donut is about 30 pesos (21 baht). The cost of a Mr Donut in the Philippines is about 10 pesos, or about 7 baht.

For me, nothing goes better with a glass of milk.

You gotta love the anti American talk. So many jealous people. Take a look at this American champion!

2 Krispy Kreme donuts with a 1/4 burger, fried egg, 4 strips of bacon, and 3 pieces of cheese in between.

After seeing your photo, I must say that the best combination I've seen is a parking lot with both a Krispy Kreme and In-N-Out Burger within puking distance of each other. Two classic American brands in one location. What a heart stopping, deliciously torturing and relatively cheap dining experience. Yum.

Edited by tomyummer

After seeing your photo, I must say that the best combination I've seen is a parking lot with both a Krispy Kreme and In-N-Out Burger within puking distance of each other. Two classic American brands in one location. What a heart stopping, deliciously torturing and relatively cheap dining experience. Yum.

I don't like donuts (yes the lazy spelling). But, In-N-Out is killer. Pun intended. But it's really a great burger for the price. Luckily they don't have one here or near where I have a house in California. But a Double Double with grilled onions is always on the list of eats when I go there. But there is plenty of organic foods available there also, unlike here. Moderation and variety is what I prefer in life... I hope your enjoy your life as well!

Edited by Jimi007

This pic is a joke right? ARE they really going to try and feed this to thais or any living thing My thai wife is currently throwing up and she said it looked disgusting and I agree with her.

Edited by moetownblues

I see it is working then, our master plan.

500 years ago the white-eyes came to our country.

They gave us the chicken-pox, the smallpox, and all those diseases. Then they took our land, killed off all our Buffalo, and put us on a reservation.

But we had our secret weapon, we gave them sugar. Now they have their diabetics, their obesity. They will soon be dieing off.

Then we shall reclaim our land, my red brothers.

When all the white-eyes are gone our land shall be ours again.

Krispy Kreme is our final weapon, laden with sugar. We shall spread it around the world. The world is ours then.

Krispy Kreme forever.

:rolleyes:

You are not supposed to let people know the truth. It is (or was) a secret.

Hey moetown its real. Check this one out

tumblr_l9heq22P2W1qcn3o7o1_500.jpg

Burger King Pizza Burger!

Four Whopper patties, slices of pepperoni and mozzarella cheese with marinara and “Tuscan sauce” on a giant sesame seed bun. Yes its on the American BurgerKing menu :)

WHY? Is it for the American tourists who come here? Make them feel at home and get a good home cooked meal. This American food is killing people the world over so why do they want to turn Thais into over bloated and obese people like themselves. American food should be completely banned in Thailand it is not healthy and has already poluted every other country in the world. :bah:

Love your post and you are so Right about this...Remember it is business as usual, nothing personal. I urge you not to buy as a Conscious consumer. You have Money and you can do what you want....Do not buy or I urge you can eat but, do not swallow then you will not gain any weight...

My take and opinion.

Hey moetown its real. Check this one out

tumblr_l9heq22P2W1qcn3o7o1_500.jpg

Burger King Pizza Burger!

Four Whopper patties, slices of pepperoni and mozzarella cheese with marinara and "Tuscan sauce" on a giant sesame seed bun. Yes its on the American BurgerKing menu :)

Wow?? I want to die and I will not eat it unless I want to wear size 10....I hope the Thai will not eat this every day.

Actually, you might be a little behind the trend. Here's an analysis from this month: "In 1976, Beatrice Foods purchased the chain, but a group of franchisees annexed the company in 1982 and pushed for national expansion in the 90s. Krispy Kreme developed rapidly until it went public in 2000 and hit a growth ceiling. Its stock has plummeted 92% since the onset of 2002. However, a turnaround appears to be in the works. Krispy Kreme swung to a fiscal second-quarter profit of $2.2 million, or 3 cents a share, from a loss of $160,000, or break-even, a year earlier. Revenue grew 6.3%. The company's operating margin expanded from 4.1% to 4.9%. Company store sales remained flat, but same-store sales gained 5.7%. Domestic franchise revenue grew 15% as same store sales rose 5%. International franchise revenue advanced 5.3%, hurt by a 14% drop in same store sales. External supply-chain sales jumped 27%...Though its menu is limited, Krispy Kreme has gained acclaim for outstanding products. It has met health concerns without affecting flavor. All doughnuts are now sans trans fats. With a market value of just $293 million, four analysts cover Krispy Kreme. Three advise purchasing its shares and one advises selling. A median target of $5.50 suggests a return of 29% in the next 12 months. Small-cap focused Roth Capital expects an advance of 41% to $6. BGB Securities reiterates the median target of $5.50 and CL King predicts a gain to $5. Krispy Kreme's stock trades at a forward earnings multiple of 18, a book value multiple of 4 and a sales multiple of 0.8 -- 26%, 32% and 69% discounts to restaurant industry averages."

Here's the original article:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10870335/krispy-kreme-once-stale-gets-investors-to-bite.html

gallery_35489_957_11537.jpg

"Ooh, goody. I can't wait."

My Goodness, thats one biki I never want to see under. Must make tough stools, over there, whereever she is :lol:

Please don't go on about her making stools....

:o OMG. What an aweful mental image you've left me with.... :annoyed: .

She certainly has alot of CRACK, does that mean she produces monster sized stools? :lol:

46 posts and not one person has gone there and tried a KKD. Just a bunch of crap about American food. I really don't like doughnuts (they make me a little sick in the stomach), but I'll buy one just to see if they're the same as the KKDs sold in the states.

I beg to differ, I had one last Tuesday, but 1000 km south of here. biggrin.gif

I bet they will taste the same here than in KL. Of course I have no point of comparison with the original KKD but I don't think there is anything special about them. Actually I was disappointed but the lack of choice in the varieties they have, compared to the shop I used to buy doughnuts from when living there. Is their choice so limited in US too?

/ bringing the kiddos to Ocean World tomorrow. If the queue is quite reasonable, I might try to go and buy some...

I am really just hoping they open a shop in Chiang Mai, it would revolutionize the world of donuts up here.

All we have now is dunkin donuts which tastes like sugared cardboard. Probably because it is sugared cardboard, actually.

If KK came here, there would be that, and some clones would spring up that also make good donuts. As of now, good donuts are unknown in northern Thailand.

The way the chain stores charge for donuts I am surprised that some enterprising has not gotten into the market. The best ones I remember are those made at grandma's house, sprinkled with powered sugar, right out of the kitchen. Probably were not good for us as she used lard to cook with but they were laraping.

My Goodness, thats one biki I never want to see under. Must make tough stools, over there, whereever she is :lol:

Oh, I don't think she has a problem with her stools. Although, I suspect it is the plumbing system that might have trouble handling them. How does she fit on a the old toilet. And, well, it does have to be asked; How does she clean her posterior? Can she even reach around? That's a downside of a diet that includes plenty of deep fat fryed doughnuts, it makes for a slimey consistency in the feces. :ph34r: Oil can't be fully digested etc. And KK products are packed with oil. Greasy, artery clogging saturated fat. I wouldn't be surprised if the oil fryer uses oil with a high concentration of trans fats as well.

I heartily recommend Krispy Kreme dognuts!

OOOOOO, a man with tattoos. Tats, help to make him more hansum. What woman could resist, especially if he came courting with a box of KKs?

Trivia note: Look down at his lower legs. Those are not socks he's wearing. They are bandages applied to reduce the swelling and to compensate for the fluid retention and poor circulation. If the subject is not already dead, I anticipate heart disease will soon strike him from the client list at the local KK outlet. A sad image. Really, sad.:(

Edited by geriatrickid

I was in Siam Paragon about 7 pm tonight, and stopped by the KK shop just to see how business was doing... Almost as long a line as the other weeknight night, not quite out the door... but still probably 50+ people waiting at that hour of the evening to buy dognuts!!!

I noticed on their menu board sign, I believe, the prices are something like 27 baht for the regular glazed and 32 baht for their fancier varieties... I may be off a couple baht on one or the other of those figures... but close. I had the impression they're more expensive that the other place in Emporium and such...