Empty Pages In My Passport

Hi there.

I've just been informed of a lady being refused entry into a country (don't know who or which country) because she only had 1 empty page in her passport.

Is it true that you need at least 2 empty pages to get in a country?

I have 2 empty pages but soon have to go on a visa run. Just cross the bridge at Vientiane and come back.

When I come back I'll have one empty page as the entry visa for Laos takes up a whole page.

Can anyone verify this information or shed any light on it?

Many thanks

Richieudon

You always need room for immigration stamps to be allowed entry. It will be up to them how much room that want to see. If you plan to obtain a Thai visa (visa run) you will need two pages for the Lao and Thai visas and more room for exit/entry stamps. If just a border 15 day entry you will still need about two pages so you are close to needing more pages or a new passport.

You need space in your passport to receive visas, entry and exit stamps. As long as you have that, you are normally fine.

But be careful, some pages in your passport are not for visas, but for other purposes. Like to note if you have any children. These will not be used to issue a visa or stamp on.

But be careful, some pages in your passport are not for visas, but for other purposes. Like to note if you have any children. These will not be used to issue a visa or stamp on.

And once you have already full pages but not yet 100 percent full, but following passport pages have already stamps, they usually not like to stamp that free pages (when having a new passport you should immigration offices please from the beginning to stamp as close as possible to other stamps) before the last stamps.

Once I only had the inside of the passport cover free and my passport was only valid 2 more weeks. They did not like. But I had a confirmation that I applied already for a new passport at my embassy in Bkk, but that time I could not pick it up cause of the redshirt demonstrations. So they made no trouble to me. But as I have seen the immigration officers reactions, they were absolutely not happy with this and I only had big luck

edit: that time I made a border run (another visa entry) for a visa I got from Vientiane before (so I entered Thailand from Laos with nearly no empty space in my pp w/o problems)

Edited by starcatcher

It is correct that you have to have blank pages in your passport when entering a country. This varies country by country (as does the amount of time left before expiry of the passport). In Thailand I belive that the number of pages is six but this is rarely enforced. Also in Thailand, you should have at least 6 months left on your passport when entering.

However, as always, these things are left to the discretion of the individuals at immigration.

You can free up 'used' pages by removing any "one page stuck on visas" eg the Cambodia ones, India etc.

I have freed up a number of pages this way and I have not had problems entering the Kingdom. I was down to 2 pages at one point.

Hope that this helps ;)

Thanks for the replies guys

I think I'll take a trip down to Bangkok :whistling: to sort out a new passport!

BUT!!!

I guess this opens a new can of worms...?

if I apply for a new passport does my multiple entry non O visa become void??

Simple answer - no.

You keep the old passport with any valid visa and show both passports and the valid visa. the next time you enter Thailand.

You will need a letter from your embassy requesting that Thai immigration transfer the current entry stamp to your new passport.

Thanks for the replies guys

I think I'll take a trip down to Bangkok :whistling: to sort out a new passport!

BUT!!!

I guess this opens a new can of worms...?

if I apply for a new passport does my multiple entry non O visa become void??

Simple answer - no.

You keep the old passport with any valid visa and show both passports and the valid visa. the next time you enter Thailand.

You will need a letter from your embassy requesting that Thai immigration transfer the current entry stamp to your new passport.

Thanks ;-)

Hi Richieudon

If you go to Myanmar you will not need a full page visa, as they only put a small entry and exit stamp.

If you are after a UK passport, they are applied for by post, no need to go to Embassy.