What happens if old Farang dies in Thailand having made zero preparations? (Better?)

Would it be somehow better for an old Farang to die in Thailand having made ZERO preparations?

For example, if an old Farang were to die with few assets in Thailand, having chosen to keep all/any personal assets safe in the Home Country, then what would happen?

Would this be the best strategy, in fact?

What about if the Farang just kept a simple DIY Document, stating the preference to be cremated in a local Temple of the Farang's Choice?

Would anyone respect His wishes?

Or, what would actually happen.

I have just read that the Farng's home-country embassy must be contacted.

But, I doubt that the Farang's embassy will arrange some sort of elaborate and expensive funeral procession with tons of flowers, and chanting guys walking behind, and wailing women white sackcloth, with children ahead strewing rose-petals, and big drums banging away, and fireworks overhead.

No embassy would spend the money for the average Farang.

And, so would the Farang just be burned in an oven, and then what might happen to the ashes?

Would they just be left in the oven, to fuel the next cremation?

It seems to me that making no provisions might be best.

Some suspense might even be the result of zero preparations.

And, might it also be the absolute cheapest option?

Of course, the Farang would not know the difference, not matter what circumstances might eventually evolve.

My guess is that when a Farang dies with zero preparations, and few family members in the Home Country, then the Farang might receive more tender loving care than if the same thing happened to said Farang in his/her Home country.

Anyway, it's something to think about....maybe....

Regards,

And inquisitive, as ever,

Gamma

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Some families may not be able or want to get involved because of costs, etc, and can give permission for a friend to have the released to them for cremation, if such friend is available and the friend will then have to pay the costs.

Important Addendum:   Let us say that the old Farang in question has ZERO friends, and has made ZERO preparations, and that there are Zero relatives willing to become involved:

Then....

What is likely to happen?

Note Two:  Will there be a post mortem, and is this enforced?

Note Three:  Can the DIY Document left behind by the old Farang state that any earthly belongings be given to an "acquaintance", and will this DIY Document's contents be respected and adhered to?   (Or, will the meagre belongings left behind by the old Farang be sold or trashed or donated to the Temple?)

Still very inquisitive concerning these points...am I...!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Important Addendum:   Let us say that the old Farang in question has ZERO friends, and has made ZERO preparations, and that there are Zero relatives willing to become involved:

Then....

Note Three:  Can the DIY Document left behind by the old Farang state that any earthly belongings be given to an "acquaintance", and will this DIY Document's contents be respected and adhered to?   (Or, will the meagre belongings left behind by the old Farang be sold or trashed or donated to the Temple?)

1. If no one comes forward, then the body will be disposed of in a pauper burial.

2. Normally if the death is not in hospital, with known medical conditions/accident, the police investigator will send the body for post mortem, in my area that will be Police Hospital BKK. It can vary, but with no relative or friends the local government hospital will be happy to send the body away for post mortem, as to reduce their costs.

3. Any last will, which meets the relevant Thai laws and standards is normally honoured. It will depend if the DIY document has the correct legal standing.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

1. If no one comes forward, then the body will be disposed of in a pauper burial.

What are the conditions of a pauper burial in Thailand?

a. Will the location be completely lost and forgotten?

b. Will this be a bass burial?  For example, do all the pauper-bodies dying in any given week get buried together?

c.  In Thailand, do people ever come to pray over the buried paupers?

d. Any other interesting facts about the pauper burial sites in Thailand that one should know about?

After every Thai funeral, when I have gone with others, to collect the ashes it has always contained some bone fragments, Depending how good/hot the temple cremation has been, will govern the size and amount of bone fragments.Medical and dental prosthetics are not normally destroyed by the cremation.

Also remember that before cremation pacemakers, which can explode in the heat, should be removed. plus silicone implants, radioactive "cancer seeds" and injectable or implantable radioactive isotopes used to treat several types of cancer.

The local undertaker will use a mortar and pestle, to make the ashes if you request it, or you can take away the bone fragments.In the UK bone fragments are normally placed in an electric processor which converts them to the ashes.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

b. Will this be a bass burial?  For example, do all the pauper-bodies dying in any given week get buried together?

d. Any other interesting facts about the pauper burial sites in Thailand that one should know about?

From the link to the thread I posted above, “the bodies were buried in the cemetery at Nakhon Nayok until it ran out of space and many of those remains were unearthed and then placed in separate containers at Thammasat University Hospital and the Central Institute of Forensic Science offices”.

I have no further knowledge of these sites and no wish to visit them, as past experiences of the local government hospital mortuaries have been enough.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Watch this space.😀

My grandma talked to her grandmas, grandmas,grandma. born 1796-died 1912. its in the church books.

my Grandma asked her about century celebrations, second one was better because she could drink some vodka.

• Love It 1

30 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

After every Thai funeral, when I have gone with others, to collect the ashes it has always contained some bone fragments, Depending how good/hot the temple cremation has been, will govern the size and amount of bone fragments.Medical and dental prosthetics are not normally destroyed by the cremation.

Well, say the old Farang has a large piece of titanium inside him:

Would this be worth anything to the mourners, after the flesh was cooked away?

• Haha 1

Stop with the BS. What happens is that a random temple burns the body and it's thrown out in a selected field. 

Edited by Gottfrid

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Well, say the old Farang has a large piece of titanium inside him:

Would this be worth anything to the mourners, after the flesh was cooked away?

After cremation the metal replacement joints, pins and implants will remain. These are commonly made of stainless steel, cobalt chrome steels and titanium alloys.

So I guess there will be some scrap value if the family really want it, or the undertaker or temple would just collect the pieces.

IMG_2386.jpeg

A titanium hip after cremation.

IMG_2387.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Here are a couple of articles about what happens to unclaimed and unidentified bodies.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3297183/A-brush-death-remains-3-890-unidentified-people-exhumed-CLEANED-ancient-Thai-Buddhist-tradition.html

https://damirsagolj.wordpress.com/2012/03/23/bizarre-thailand-unclaimed/

This is the Poh Teck Tung Foundation Cemetery in Samut Sakhon province, for the unclaimed/unidentified bodies.

IMG_2389.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

After cremation the metal replacement joints, pins and implants will remain. These are commonly made of stainless steel, cobalt chrome steels and titanium alloys.

So I guess there will be some scrap value if the family really want it, or the undertaker or temple would just collect the pieces.

IMG_2386.jpeg

A titanium hip after cremation.

IMG_2387.jpeg

That's a really NICE hip-replacement-prosthetic photo you found!

Is this your photography work?

Nice job!

I can't tell the "brand" and manufacturer.

Personally, I prefer the Titanium and Ceramic hip prosthetics...because...

They stand up much better to heat, when being cremated.

• Sad 2

32 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

That's a really NICE hip-replacement-prosthetic photo you found!

Is this your photography work?

Nice job!

I can't tell the "brand" and manufacturer.

Personally, I prefer the Titanium and Ceramic hip prosthetics...because...

They stand up much better to heat, when being cremated.

Of course not my picture, but you asked the question about left over metal parts.

Been to a lot of crematoriums, previously in the Uk, and there were boxes of items like this keep by the staff to be disposed of later.

In Thailand if you go back after the cremation, the remains are raked out by the undertaker onto a metal tray. Depending on how good/hot the cremation process was, will depend on the size and amount of bone fragments left. The family and friends will usually pick through the remains, before they are disposed of.

This is my picture, of a friend, last month in pattaya area, after using a mortar and pestle to break the bone fragments up, to transport his remains back to the UK.

IMG_2390.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Of course not my picture, but you asked the question about left over metal parts.

Been to a lot of crematoriums, previously in the Uk, and there were boxes of items like this keep by the staff to be disposed of later.

In Thailand if you go back after the cremation, the remains are raked out by the undertaker onto a metal tray. Depending on how good/hot the cremation process was, will depend on the size and amount of bone fragments left. The family and friends will usually pick through the remains, before they are disposed of.

This is my picture, of a friend, last month in pattaya area, after using a mortar and pestle to break the bone fragments up, to transport back to the UK.

IMG_2390.jpeg

Quite interesting.

Thank you.

A funeral in my GF's village is about 30,000 baht, including monk rituals. I don't know how much of that is the actual cremation cost. It includes food for mourners.

I have told my GF nothing fancy, whether she listens is another matter.

I want my ashes scattered on any golf course, probably easier to do that in Australia. Here, the fear of ghosts is still a factor.

What I would like to know is the estimated no frills cost to  my wife to cremate me at a local temple - if possible.

Someone mentioned 30,000 bt, is this no frills?

Edited by edwardflory
spelling

5 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

What I would like to know is the estimated no frills cost to  my wife to cremate me at a local temple - if possible.

Love to know how that's possible (including food). Minimum in our area seems to be 150,000 baht.

18 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Love to know how that's possible (including food). Minimum in our area seems to be 150,000 baht.

It was 30,000 baht for my GF's father. Thai rural village.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

For example, if an old Farang were to die with few assets in Thailand, having chosen to keep all/any personal assets safe in the Home Country, then what would happen?

If there are assets in the farang's home country, then costs for funeral should finally be taken from there. Bear in mind that it's the country of primary residence that handles the estate; so, if primary residence was in Thailand, then the estate shall in principle be handles by a Thai court. A good reason to consider last will if you have any assets to leave behind.

18 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Then....

Why don't YOU just make proper arrangements instead of ' passing the book? '

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, edwardflory said:

My friend on holiday, died last month, Chonburi, the costs were.

1. Government hospital costs, plus 6 nights body storage - 2400 baht

2. Coffin, few simple flowers, framed picture, etc. and transport from hospital to temple (all sorted through hospital mortuary department) - 14750 baht.

3. Simple temple cremation, no nights at temple, 4 monks said prays and undertaker, 30 minutes - 10000 baht (temple used was more expensive than most, but family wanted the place.

The hospital and police did not request a post mortem, so police report, ambulance transport to government hospital and Amphur death certificate was about 3000 baht in total.

Receipts attached with personal details removed.  

Total - just over 30000 baht. Not planned to be on a budget, the family just wanted a simple cremation.

Most was claimed back off his travel insurance.

IMG_2394.jpeg

IMG_2393.jpeg

IMG_2392.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1