If You Are Listening To Music Now..

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nowhere To Run - Martha & The Vandellas

that was always a nice song (I remember high school girls switchin' their butts to the music back in the early 60s)...what about 'I heard it thru the grapevine'? I claim that Martha and the Vandellas recorded it first, before Marvin Gaye...what do you think?

Edited by tutsiwarrior

mockingbird the original from late 50s (please clarify Mr Buckwheat) the James Taylor and Carly Simon cover wasn't bad as well...the scots group Deacon Blue were to use the same harmony in one ob their hit songs...Twist and shout?

Inez & Charlie Foxx recorded 'Mockingbird' in the mid 60s. Don't know if it was original or if they covered a previous recording.

Nowhere To Run - Martha & The Vandellas

that was always a nice song (I remember high school girls switchin' their butts to the music back in the early 60s)...what about 'I heard it thru the grapevine'? I claim that Martha and the Vandellas recorded it first, before Marvin Gaye...what do you think?

Yeah, I got this Motown Collection thingie, chronological motown best of over twenty years...

Martha & V did it first.

MG did it way better though.

Jock, I love the three tracks I have of Kula Shaker, and seeing your post earlier I had to see what was going on with them

Source

In September of that year (99), the band announced their split. "I have loved my time with Kula Shaker and have experienced more than I could ever have imagined," Mills commented. "We've had an excellent time and been a very tight band, but there comes a time when you want to do your own thing."

Kula Shaker announced on January 11th 2006 that they would be reforming permanently. They released the following statement on their official website:

It's official. Kula Shaker has arisen from the bottomless pit. How and why will all be revealed in good time, as this [web] site grows, swells and expands. In the meantime join our mailing list and be the first to find out about secret gigs, free downloads and the inside story on what is sure to be their finest hour.

The site goes on to say they released an EP in april this year, and will start on a new album after the summer festival circuit. :o

Listening to:

One by One - Billy Bragg & Wilco

Yeah, I got this Motown Collection thingie, chronological motown best of over twenty years...

Martha & V did it first.

Have you got any more info on that? As far as I remember (and I was alive at the time :o ) 'Grapevine' was 'test recorded' by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, the Isley Brothers& Gladys Knight and the Pips but the major version was the Gaye version. It was also covered by the Temptations and the Undisputed Truth. Can you tell me what year Martha nd the Vandellas released their version pls?

Martha & V did it first.

Have you got any more info on that? As far as I remember (and I was alive at the time :o ) 'Grapevine' was 'test recorded' by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, the Isley Brothers& Gladys Knight and the Pips but the major version was the Gaye version. It was also covered by the Temptations and the Undisputed Truth. Can you tell me what year Martha nd the Vandellas released their version pls?

My apologies; My mistake. I didn't look at the disc when I posted that.

Same disc contains several songs by Martha, but it was indeed Gladys who did it a year prior to Marvin. I got confused with the girls. Happens quite a lot! :D:D

This is the disc I've got.

You'll find them at numbers 25 and 26 respectively:

motowntheclassicyearskq2.jpg

I Heard It through the Grapevine" is an R&B/soul song written by Motown songwriters Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong in 1967. Whitfield recorded several different versions of the song with several different Motown acts, and two of those versions became hits: one version by Gladys Knight & the Pips became a number-two hit in the United States in 1967, while a version by Marvin Gaye became a number-one hit in the U.S. in 1968.

Gaye's version, the most notable recording of the song, was his first number-one hit, and was the most successful single released by Motown in the 1960s. Since the releases of the original hit versions of the song, "I Heard It through the Grapevine" has been heavily covered, most notably an extended 1970 version by Creedence Clearwater Revival.

edit: Listening to: Frank Sinatra - I won't Dance

Edited by kayo