• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Game, that's an brilliant tune.

There's some quality coming from the isles these days. :D

Hmm. Speaking of which, spent today listening mostly to the first few pink floyd albums.

I particular must give Kudo's to the More Soundtrack album they did.

Anyone ever see that movie?

Course, Cymbaline is on that soundtrack, as are some cool floyd blues. Cymbaline is one of my favorite (among many) Floyd tracks.

Pure ClogSmokers anonymous though... there's something I miss from time to time too. :o

I was just looking through my Pink Floyd CD collection and 'More' is missing; I had it on vinyl years ago, but never managed to replace it. I remember the tracks, some are on Relics.

Two that I really want are Piper at the gates of dawn MONO they released it about ten years ago, for the 30th anniversary, I am stuck with the stereo release.

However I have a CD called Pink Floyd the 'The first 3 Singles' and it is all MONO and has 6 great tracks like Emily, Arnold,Apples and Oranges and believe it or not they sound so much better in genuine MONO.

Two that I really want are Piper at the gates of dawn MONO they released it about ten years ago, for the 30th anniversary, I am stuck with the stereo release.

The original mono mix of The Piper at the Gates of Dawn is great. When Norman Smith quickly made the stereo mixes, he laid on a lot of gratuitous reverb. The vocals are especially noticeable in this regard. Very crisp on the mono mix.

How can recordings be better in mono? Is is that because they were recorded with mono reproduction in mind, a la Phil Spector's Wall of Sound?

Many 60's records were mixed with mono foremost in mind, figuring that's how most people would be hearing it. Many stereo mixes, such as on the earlier Beatles albums, were done at the last minute and rather rushed.

So, how can mono be better - as stereo is 2 channels - surely twice as good?

I'm not arguing - I would just like it explained :o

Everything else being equal you are correct, a stereo mix should sound better than a mono mix. If nothing else the listener should be able to pick up more details in the sound. Trouble is that everything else is not equal. In the case of the Pink Floyd album we were discussing, the stereo mix was done hastily, a lot of reverb was slapped on certain tracks which makes the sound on the stereo mix much less cleaner.

On some 60's rock records, the mono and stereo mixes are completely different, so much so that it can be like listening to totally different versions of the same song. The first Traffic album comes to mind in this regard. Different guitar solos on certain songs, a completely instrumental song on the stereo that actually had a sung verse on the mono, etc.

So, how can mono be better - as stereo is 2 channels - surely twice as good?

I'm not arguing - I would just like it explained :o

Everything else being equal you are correct, a stereo mix should sound better than a mono mix. If nothing else the listener should be able to pick up more details in the sound. Trouble is that everything else is not equal. In the case of the Pink Floyd album we were discussing, the stereo mix was done hastily, a lot of reverb was slapped on certain tracks which makes the sound on the stereo mix much less cleaner.

On some 60's rock records, the mono and stereo mixes are completely different, so much so that it can be like listening to totally different versions of the same song. The first Traffic album comes to mind in this regard. Different guitar solos on certain songs, a completely instrumental song on the stereo that actually had a sung verse on the mono, etc.

Cheers for that - so it's the production values that are preferable on certain recordings?

Cheers for that - so it's the production values that are preferable on certain recordings?

Right, up to a certain point (circa 1967) the emphasis was often on making the mono mix sound good and the stereo mix was then viewed as an afterthought. Collectors are often interested in the mono mixes simply because some of them are so radically different from the now-common stereo mixes (such as the Traffic album I mentioned above). Some remastered CDs of titles from that era will offer both the mono and stereo mix of an album.

Edited by ovenman

Also, on a similar topic, one of my good buys in recent years was the Beatles 'Let It Be' 'naked' which was the original session before all the Spector additions.

Have been listening to Bjork today, I had not played her album 'debut' for ages and it is still pretty good.

Arianna Puello - La Fecha... some semi-decent latina hip hop -old schoolish...

followed by Come along (Dub along mix) Lee "scratch" Perry & The Upsett...

and after connection probs finally finish this post

Frank Zappa - Outside now

(Shuffle all tracks - creates some interesting playlist :o )

The Auteurs

'New French Girlfriend'

The Auteurs finished a close second in the 1993 Mercury Music Prize in the U.K. which 'Suede' with the album 'Suede' won.

I was going to mention on the claim to frame thread that I was at a Suede after-party in Edinburgh. I got them all to sign my copy of the Morrissy album - Viva Hate.

It could now fetch as much as £7.50 on ebay!

The Auteurs

'New French Girlfriend'

The Auteurs finished a close second in the 1993 Mercury Music Prize in the U.K. which 'Suede' with the album 'Suede' won.

I was going to mention on the claim to frame thread that I was at a Suede after-party in Edinburgh. I got them all to sign my copy of the Morrissy album - Viva Hate.

It could now fetch as much as £7.50 on ebay!

:o:D :D

I am listening to RHCP, live in Santiago de Chile (bootleg, but darn what an awesome, unrestrained concert.. )