I Cant Stop Whilst In Los

dmax

i just cannot stop drinking, especially here in isaan, its so boring, didnt have a drink yesterday only because i swallowed about 6 10mg valium to sleep. im getting dt,s now and feel the world is going to turn upside down,its a terrible feeeling, i know if i have a few beer the feeling will go . im here for another 2 months and now wishing i didnt bother, i find it easier to lay off it when im back in uk because i can relax more back home, in thailand i cannot sleep without a few beer just to sleep or get the night in. i look out the window today and all the villiagers are sitting eating or making staraw baskets but i need to stay up here as my wife doesnt want to spend too much money, wish i could start jogging again but cannot find the motivation within myself. im back again in febuary for 9 weeks and to be honest im dreadin it but the flights are allready booked and paid for. im just sick and bored now.

Mate you say you can't find the motivation to jog but it seems you are one unhappy chappy and what you've been doing to date - drugs and drinking - obviously isn't changing that state - or if it is, only temporarily. So why not give it a go? What do you have to lose? Force yourself. It'll be worth it.

There are few worse feelings than the one your experiencing now. I feel like shit, but if i have a beer, all will be well in my world. But then what, tomorrow comes quick and more anxiety and panic occurs. Easy for me to say just quit drinking and in a few days youll feel better. Ive been were you are many times and sure Thailand is a difficult place to stay clear of the booze. The fact you are looking out on people doing everyday things tells me it is possible to do just that. Excercise , get out , jog . I dont know, anything to clear the head really. I do the same things when in los, and although at times boring is do-able and i hope you feel better soon.

Ahinkel

• Like 1

I have been there myself but now haven't had a drink in over 2 years. But it is not easy for sure. Boredom is a big problem when we are out in country with locals. But for me the biggest thing is motivation. I did start jogging and it was big help but then hurt my back helping a guy move so I just started walking. Every day walked in different direction. Also got an elliptical machine which was not hard on the back. If this is not your thing maybe start working in garden or if you arre handy maybe build something. Reading is another great pasttime, at least for me. You are in a bad place mentally but if you find an interest you can get out of it. There are AA meetings all over and perhaps you are within distance of one where you are. or maybe even take up meditation, as there are many places to learn this in Thailand.

• Like 1

Unfortunately AA meetings are few and far between in Issan. Much easier if you are in Bangkok, Pattaya or Chiang Mai to get to one regularly.

I am probably stating the obvious, but it is very clear that you are desperately unhappy when you stay in Issan.

There are very few farangs who can really find happiness living in a rural Issan community. I can speak fairly decent Thai and can also understand some Issan. I like the countryside and enjoy some solitude but could never stay more than 2 - 3 days in an Issan village - by that time I would be crawling up the wall. There is a huge cultural diversity to overcome and if you understand what the locals are talking about, you would probably be even more depressed.

I am not in the least surprised that you are drinking too much and if you are not careful it will not be long before you are a full blown alcoholic.

I understand it may be a big problem for you, but somehow you have to change your lifestyle. You are not cut out to spend weeks at a time in an Issan village where you have nothing to do except drink. You must talk to your wife and come up with a solution. If you don't,things will only get much worse.

Some hard choices ahead, so good luck.

• Like 2

Unfortunately AA meetings are few and far between in Issan. Much easier if you are in Bangkok, Pattaya or Chiang Mai to get to one regularly.

I am probably stating the obvious, but it is very clear that you are desperately unhappy when you stay in Issan.

There are very few farangs who can really find happiness living in a rural Issan community. I can speak fairly decent Thai and can also understand some Issan. I like the countryside and enjoy some solitude but could never stay more than 2 - 3 days in an Issan village - by that time I would be crawling up the wall. There is a huge cultural diversity to overcome and if you understand what the locals are talking about, you would probably be even more depressed.

I am not in the least surprised that you are drinking too much and if you are not careful it will not be long before you are a full blown alcoholic.

I understand it may be a big problem for you, but somehow you have to change your lifestyle. You are not cut out to spend weeks at a time in an Issan village where you have nothing to do except drink. You must talk to your wife and come up with a solution. If you don't,things will only get much worse.

Some hard choices ahead, so good luck.

Good advice, and clearly stated.

SC

Your bored because you have nothing to do, because you have nothing to do your bored. You have to break that cycle, whether its by chopping wood, learning basket weaving, using that computer to do something useful...whatever. Your not saving money by spending time in Issan if your also becoming a full blown alcoholic so the strategy is somewhat flawed. Pick yourself up or get out of there.

Your bored because you have nothing to do, because you have nothing to do your bored. You have to break that cycle, whether its by chopping wood, learning basket weaving, using that computer to do something useful...whatever. Your not saving money by spending time in Issan if your also becoming a full blown alcoholic so the strategy is somewhat flawed. Pick yourself up or get out of there.

thanks for the advice but easier said than done, i could tell my wife to pack up we are leaving , only to go where ? pattaya ,hau hinn,bangkok, everywhere is the same, when i stay in pattaya all i see is people drinking, the temptation is too great, i have blown a fortune on my house here inisaan also only after buying a mitsu triton last week, all my money has gone into house and a better life for my wife and baby daughter up here in isaan, i want my daughter to have family as she doesnt back in uk, but i have come to realise with a massive jolt than this life up here is definately not for me !! im going to cancel my ticket in febuary and stay home as my wife doesnt spend too much money over here. in meantime im going to sit tight, seems the locals and her family know im moody and grumpy and are keeping a distance, cant even look at any of them in the eye, cant talk to my wife, i will see if i can sit it out another few days then if not i will tell her im going to bkk or patts or somewhere better than this place. if in pattaya i can at least find somethings more to do like walk down beach or go to tonys gym if even for a while. i feel than living in los is driving me more to drink than anywhere else .

one question before i go, i feel like the world is on my shoulders and im having this wierd out of body expirience like im floating, also i dont know who i am and struggling with my mind daily, does anyone get this kind of feelings when they styop ? and does the head and the thoughts get any better when you stop ?

thanks

thanks for the advice but easier said than done, i could tell my wife to pack up we are leaving , only to go where ? pattaya ,hau hinn,bangkok, everywhere is the same, when i stay in pattaya all i see is people drinking, the temptation is too great, i have blown a fortune on my house here inisaan also only after buying a mitsu triton last week, all my money has gone into house and a better life for my wife and baby daughter up here in isaan, i want my daughter to have family as she doesnt back in uk, but i have come to realise with a massive jolt than this life up here is definately not for me !! im going to cancel my ticket in febuary and stay home as my wife doesnt spend too much money over here. in meantime im going to sit tight, seems the locals and her family know im moody and grumpy and are keeping a distance, cant even look at any of them in the eye, cant talk to my wife, i will see if i can sit it out another few days then if not i will tell her im going to bkk or patts or somewhere better than this place. if in pattaya i can at least find somethings more to do like walk down beach or go to tonys gym if even for a while. i feel than living in los is driving me more to drink than anywhere else .

one question before i go, i feel like the world is on my shoulders and im having this wierd out of body expirience like im floating, also i dont know who i am and struggling with my mind daily, does anyone get this kind of feelings when they styop ? and does the head and the thoughts get any better when you stop ?

thanks

Hi Dmax! You are now in a situation that many of us are familuar with!

I have been there, and to anser your final question ,, Yes !!it does get better when you stop!

but for me? I needed help!

I tryed but was not able to break my drinking habitt on my own.and my periods in thailand were more or less in a constant alcohol fog.

if you now are back home in uk? then I strongly advise you to atend a lokal AA meeting. you are not alone in your struggle, there you may find other people in simular situation.

if you have decided to stay home this next "´thai trip" then take this time and try to contact AA or get help thrue some program, I got in contact with a program ,run and managed by ex drinkers , there I spent 5 weeks. ofcourse expencive, but I was fortune enough to have my employer to pay.

2 years now in august. got my mind back togeter. my daughter got her father back,

My advise to you is to get help! the help is out there,, but you need to take the step yourself!

Take care , if you want to talk more? dont hasitate to pm me!

thanks

Hi Dmax! You are now in a situation that many of us are familuar with!

I have been there, and to anser your final question ,, Yes !!it does get better when you stop!

but for me? I needed help!

I tryed but was not able to break my drinking habitt on my own.and my periods in thailand were more or less in a constant alcohol fog.

if you now are back home in uk? then I strongly advise you to atend a lokal AA meeting. you are not alone in your struggle, there you may find other people in simular situation.

if you have decided to stay home this next "´thai trip" then take this time and try to contact AA or get help thrue some program, I got in contact with a program ,run and managed by ex drinkers , there I spent 5 weeks. ofcourse expencive, but I was fortune enough to have my employer to pay.

2 years now in august. got my mind back togeter. my daughter got her father back,

My advise to you is to get help! the help is out there,, but you need to take the step yourself!

Take care , if you want to talk more? dont hasitate to pm me!

Hi Dmax. Sorry mate, the reason I advised you to break the cycle was because I didn't read your original post the way it was meant. I think that I (and others) thought the problem was one of location creating boredom and hence the alcohol. Obviously your problem is far more serious than that. There's some good advice here. Wish you luck.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are in no shape to exercise, why don't you watch movies ? It will keep your mind busy. Chose movies you like, that put you in a positive mood.

Adopt a dog and take him for a walk, take longer walk, then start jogging little by little when you feel it. A bicycle is also a nice way to get away and to get in shape at the same time.

Start a project that takes days and give you a good reason to get out of bed and out of the booze. Depending of what is your interest, fix an old bike, built a new kitchen, grow flowers ....

Hope it can help.

If you are in no shape to exercise, why don't you watch movies ? It will keep your mind busy. Chose movies you like, that put you in a positive mood.

Adopt a dog and take him for a walk, take longer walk, then start jogging little by little when you feel it. A bicycle is also a nice way to get away and to get in shape at the same time.

Start a project that takes days and give you a good reason to get out of bed and out of the booze. Depending of what is your interest, fix an old bike, built a new kitchen, grow flowers ....

Hope it can help.

If you're in no fit state to exercise then walk to the pub and drink a glass of coke - see which is the more difficult.

Walk by the newasagents to get a packet of fags, then by the supermarket to get a pint of milk - its not too dificult to walk up a couple of kilometres, a happy smile to the passersby will make it seem shorter than it could be, and you might see something interesting....

SC

Hi, you are on the way to Downtown, maybe you need a long time to find the deepest point...

Your Mind is damaged by drinking and taking drugs, you can't stop thinking about relationship, anything looks ugly...

You not able to change people or the Isaan, but you can change the way you looks.

You feel bad, but you don't know exactly what going on, you put alcohol and drugs on top of your feelings.

If it not possible to go to a AA or other's Meeting, I think it wil be a good idea to go to a forrest temple for 2-3 weeks, what do you think about this?

I'am clean now over 11 years, and I have a good life...

I really don't want to burden you but changing your location isn't going to solve your problems. We alcoholics constantly did geographicals thinking that a change of place or a change of something would change our sick minds. It's Isaan, it's the weather,it's that b**ch or b*st*rd, it's my job, it's this, it's that, if only....... The problem is always out there as opposed to inside us; and so we think the solution is an external one. Of course the first thing we pack when we travel is our head and that doesn't change. Do you really think you will behave differently in Pattaya or England? The best thing about Pattaya is you can hang out in AA and get sober but like anywhere else in the world Pattaya becomes a very dangerous place for an active alcoholic. Are you not really saying that you've reached a stage where you are powerless over alcohol and that it controls you as opposed to you controlling alcohol? Is your solution a move or change, an external fix or do you need to address the problem very radically and get help? The DTs are very dangerous and can kill. You need to be very careful about how you taper off and I would suggest if you intend to quit that you probably need some form of medical support . The good news is that you can stop, as many of us here have done in Thailand and elsewhere in the world and you can have a much more meaningful life than the one you have now. Do you want this?