Thais Obtaining Thai Passport Overseas

My wife and I are now domiciled in Western Australia. Previously, to renew her Thai passport via the Thai Embassy in Canberra has not presented a problem. Recently however, she has been reading on the web about proposed changes to include some form of electronic component to Thai Passports renewed after 1st August this year. She has gained the impression that she will have to travel to Sydney or Canberra personally to renew the document in person. Has anyone heard or do they have any information concerning this? It would be almost as expensive for her to go to the Eastern States as it would be to go to Thailand if this is true. :o

Actaully, just spoke to my mother about this. She had to have her Thai PP renewed as was told to do it before the 1 August, otherwise she would have to go to Canberra for fingerprinting.

I have now heard from the Thai embassy in Canberra that they (the Thai Embassy) have only two machines to do the process one in Canberra and one in Sydney. They intend to have another 'mobile' machine to send to each of the States in turn. No doubt the logistics of getting a renewal done in your State of residence, anywhere near the date of expiry, will be flamin difficult. :o