Hey guys, was wondering whether anyone has any idea what the crack is with Thai import tax. A friend runs a small retail shop on Ko Lanta and we'd very much like to ship goods over (low to mid-range jewellery) from the UK to sell in the shop but are baffled as to where to start. Anyone able to point us in the right direction? Thanks in advance...

Import duty and various fees add up to a high percentage of the shipped value and the guys in Customs will run you ragged screwing tea money out of you. The best way to control things in the sense that the cost is more or less predictable and the importer doesn't spend hours running around with his passport and wallet in his hand is to pay an agent.

Why would anyone want to import jewellery from the UK to Thailand? Surely costume jewellery made locally is cheaper. Who wants to by UK costume jewellery in Koh Lanta anyway. I know that Ko Lanta is three light years beyond Forknosewherburi but an occasional trip to BKK would be a better idea, I would have thought.

When the happy smiling chaps in Customs see a shipping document that mentions jewellery they will open it as sure as eggs are eggs. All that shiny glass must be worth a lot of money. Init.

Good luck to your friend.

I'd suggest a customs broker.

A quick google search reveals http://www.geo-global.net/customs.html

We can clear your shipments at any port or airport in Thailand. We do this primarily through Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) as we are online with the Thai customs office.... At the same time, we ensure that the correct tariff code is applied and that you pay the lowest amount of duties and taxes legally possible.

We advise customers not yet familiar with the Thai customs system on tariff application, the Thai Customs Law from 2469 B.E. (1926 A.D.), and all later amendments.