Has Phuket Had Its Day....?

Belfastboy

Has Phuket had its day...?

the reason i ask is due to another earthquake in the region....this attracting national news coverage in the UK, tourists are nervous not just natural disasters but also the fact that terrorists lurk not far from phuket in southern thailand.....due to the bombs in London, i fear the UK tourists at least will most def in future choose other destinations in LOS for their hoilday....for obvious reasons...

so where is the new Phuket..? which beach resort do u think will have a boom...??

Pattaya...?

Koh Samui...?

Hua Hin....?

Koh Chang?

my money is on Hua Hin...but hey what do i know.....

the reason i ask is due to another earthquake in the region....this attracting national news coverage in the UK, tourists are nervous not just natural disasters but also the fact that terrorists lurk not far from  phuket in southern thailand.....due to the bombs in London, i fear the UK tourists at least will most def in future choose other destinations in LOS for their hoilday....for obvious reasons...

so where is the new Phuket..? which beach resort do u think will have a boom...??

Pattaya...?

Koh Samui...?

Hua Hin....?

Koh Chang?

Samui is booming! Depends what the "average" tourist is looking for. If it's "safe from tsunami" tropical white-sand beaches portrayed in glossy brochures and recommended by office bound travel agents... then Samui is it! But Samui is just as close to the southern problems as Phuket... it's all about marketing a "product".

Phuket is unfortunately a victim of mass-media and mass-market travel companies. The property industry here, however, is very buoyant and attracting intelligent, well-heeled semi-permanent residents who are not scared off by the sensational media reports that are selectively chosen to fill the needs of mult-national media companies.

Perhaps these "tourists" will be the future of Phuket!

the reason i ask is due to another earthquake in the region....this attracting national news coverage in the UK, tourists are nervous not just natural disasters but also the fact that terrorists lurk not far from  phuket in southern thailand.....due to the bombs in London, i fear the UK tourists at least will most def in future choose other destinations in LOS for their hoilday....for obvious reasons...

Pattaya...?

Koh Samui...?

Hua Hin....?

Koh Chang?

doom and gloom - cheers for your great idea for a thread :o

lets go a little further then, where is a 100% safe place to be in the world?

Belfast?

Bali?

London?

New York?

Egypt?

Madrid?

Florida?

Iraq?

and on and on and on and.............

The whole world is dangerous, if aint weather or eathquakes, its terrorists. hmmmm, Ill go lay on the beach today and think about it :D

Edited by Tornado

I doubt this will have a big effect on tourists, no Tsunami was reported, it was just a quake, anyone sensible will realise that the chance of being caught in a Tsunami is so small, now if the one in March, and this latest one had also caused Tsunami's that would be different, as 3 in one year would be crazy. We are likely to see large tremors for some time to come, so this is to be expected.

If any tourist change their plans, I reckon the sex tourists will head to Pattaya, and the more upscale tourists will head to Samui. I really doubt many will be put off though.

Pattaya...?

Koh Samui...?

Hua Hin....?

Koh Chang?

doom and gloom - cheers for your great idea for a thread :o

lets go a little further then, where is a 100% safe place to be in the world?

Belfast?

Bali?

London?

New York?

Egypt?

Madrid?

Florida?

Iraq?

and on and on and on and.............

The whole world is dangerous, if aint weather or eathquakes, its terrorists. hmmmm, Ill go lay on the beach today and think about it :D

Totally agree, if it's not man made terror it is natural disasters, phuket isn't the only place that is suffering and I don't think too many tourists will be put off, especially with some of the documentaries I am seeing on MTV, did anyone see the one with Danny Dyer when he went to phi phi and Phuket?

I thought it was going to be the Mickeymouse conference center in chiang mai?

Kayo,

Do u take Muay thai classes in Panajachel? Maybe u should! Am thinking of heading over! :D

Come on down mate... :D:o

I'm sure we can find somebody to give muay thai classes... If not we'll just settle for hippy gringo's giving <deleted> Thai massages as we sip the Best rum in the world.

:D

Phuket just had a major natural disaster it of course will have a 'slump' period as I expect Bali did after the bombing and London may face becuase of the recent bombings. I think it will stay the number one tourist destination in Thailand for many years to come.

And if it doesn't fair enough, it will still have a massive interest from foreign real estate buyers so it will always have a good economy. Perhaps the slump in tourists will add to its appeal for foreign expats of which there are many moving to Thailand.

I would say the next big place to watch out for has to be Koh Chang, its got the size needed for development and a great location. Koh Phang nan also looks like it could be a bright star in the future, its certainly attracting the shorter term higher spending tourists now than it did a few years back.

dont get wrong guys....i love phuket and i hope it returns to its old vibrant self again....but i just cant see it, with the asian tourists being put off with the Ghost scenario and the muslim problem contuing to highlight national news coverage here in the UK ....all im saying is that the majority of tourists will choose other destinations in thailand over phuket FACT, whether its right or wrong in 2005 things have changed....in fact i would love to live in phuket but i wouldnt feel safe there.

i dont think some of the expats living in thailand realise how much media coverage the tsunami got over here in the UK and still does....and heres some more sobering news

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...16_sumatra.html

sorry to be doom and gloom but thats life.....

all i was saying was were will be the new phuket ? but lets hope phuket does return to normal.. :o

So, Khall,

what do you reckon?

Can I start looking forward to inviting you to a zacapa or two on the beach, as we watch the sun set behind the thre volcaoes of the lake?

:o

So, Khall,

what do you reckon?

Can I start looking forward to inviting you to a zacapa or two on the beach, as we watch the sun set behind the thre volcaoes of the lake?

:D Funny the places I find you Kayo :D Well as much as I'd love to head off to the lake and the volcanoes tomorrow.... I have work to do til the end of the year :o

Will keep you posted ... ha ha (get it!?)

In the meantime, I can dream of of zacapas on the beach. What's a zacapa???

:D Funny the places I find you Kayo  :D  Well as much as I'd love to head off to the lake and the volcanoes tomorrow.... I have work to do til the end of the year  :o

Will keep you posted ... ha ha (get it!?) :D  :D

Oh I'm evrywhere today... Slept fourteen hours, got rid of the remnants of a week old hangover, and just generally feel good today.

A zacapa... I've been plugging this drink on evry board in this forum.

Zacapa Centenario is the worlds very finest of fine Rums.

There is no better, it is enjoyed by people of all races, sexes, etc.... due to it's universal appeal (taste buds) and oh yeah, it's from Guatemala. :D

Good to see you. I don't know if you saw it on the other thread, but I will respond to your PM more sensibly when I am in the right frame of mind.

No rush right?

Ciao, Kayo.

dont get wrong guys....i love phuket and i hope it returns to its old vibrant self again....but i just cant see it, with the asian tourists being put off with the Ghost scenario and the muslim problem contuing to highlight national news coverage here in the UK ....all im saying is that the majority of tourists will choose other destinations in thailand over phuket FACT, whether its right or wrong in 2005 things have changed....in fact i would love to live in phuket but i wouldnt feel safe there.

Belfastboy - you might not feel safe in Phuket but a lot of people will. The odds of another tsunami hitting Phuket are still very small. Asian tourists are already returning and the sympathy factor Phuket has received for the Tusnami will bring a lot of western tourists here next high season. It will take two or three years without any more bad news for confidence to really return but Phuket has not had its day.

Jim.

:D Funny the places I find you Kayo  :D  Well as much as I'd love to head off to the lake and the volcanoes tomorrow.... I have work to do til the end of the year  :D

Will keep you posted ... ha ha (get it!?) :D  :D

Oh I'm evrywhere today... Slept fourteen hours, got rid of the remnants of a week old hangover, and just generally feel good today.

There is no better, it is enjoyed by people of all races, sexes, etc.... due to it's universal appeal (taste buds) and oh yeah, it's from Guatemala. :D

Good to see you. I don't know if you saw it on the other thread, but I will respond to your PM more sensibly when I am in the right frame of mind.

No rush right?

Ciao, Kayo.

Must have been one ###### of a party Kayo.... a week- long hangover? Don't know if I want to get near that Zacapa! :o

ps. No rush with the PM :D

Funny the places I find you Kayo Well as much as I'd love to head off to the lake and the volcanoes tomorrow.... I have work to do til the end of the year  :D

Will keep you posted ... ha ha (get it!?)

No rush right?

Ciao, Kayo.

Must have been one ###### of a party Kayo.... a week- long hangover? Don't know if I want to get near that Zacapa! :D

ps. No rush with the PM :D

Sorry, I said that wrong... The party was a week. The hangover just a customary day, day and a 1/2! I wish I could say I´d only drank Zacapa to get so drunk all week long... but I ain´t Fort Knox if you know what I mean. :D

:D to all the others for all this :o banter...

So, Khall,

what do you reckon?

:o

What's the worst thing to be caught in, a tsunami in Phuket or a pyroclastic flow from a volcano in Central America?