Used Cars From A Dealer

dvdlock

Hi,

I see on many threads regarding purchasing a 'new' car all the discounts and freebies that can be had.

What's the situation when buying an 'approve' used car from a main dealer. Are the dealers open to doing deals in the same way?

Thanks.

I guess by the lack of responses that most of you who buy 'used' don't bother with the Main Dealer offerings.

How about the generic used car dealer, do they tend to have enough of a margin so as to get a much better deal or do they tend to stay close to asking price?

Thanks.

Unless you have a good knowledge of cars I would not trust a dealer I only buy new its the only way to have peace of mind "if" you dont know much about cars. Either that or buy off a friend where you personally know the car and its history.

There are many past treads written about the ridiculous prices for used cars in Thailand, and how many, if not most of them have been previously wrecked. Used cars are terribly overpriced in Thailand to the point that it's better to buy new if you possibly can.

I guess by the lack of responses that most of you who buy 'used' don't bother with the Main Dealer offerings.

How about the generic used car dealer, do they tend to have enough of a margin so as to get a much better deal or do they tend to stay close to asking price?

Thanks.

You won't get any discounts at the "brand-name" used dealerships (i.e. Toyota Sure, Chevy OK) - they'll readily cite a dozen reasons why not too ;)

As for the regular "tent" used dealers, maybe a percent or two, or a freebie on most popular models as there's only 10-20% (depending on make/model) difference between normal wholesale and normal retail. Unless one of those prices is way off to start with, there's not a lot of room to move.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

We bought a used car from a rather well established used car dealer and got a years free membership to CWC (Car World Club) Thailand's AAA equivalent, lifetime free labor on any repairs required, one years free insurance, and a pretty hefty discount as I insisted that the sticker price was the deal only meaning no prep, registration fees, VAT. etc. they paid all of those costs and no worries for any future inspections as they are an inspection center.

There are dealers out there who will give you something but as mentioned it is always best to either bring someone with you who can advise you with your car purchase unless you know what you're getting into yourself because I waded through a lot of trash and still had issues with my car that were anticipated that I used to my favor in my deal..

Edited by WarpSpeed

It depends what car and what you mean by the dealer.

i.e. I bought my car at 2 years of age from the main dealer after it had been used as the GM's car, it still had another 3 years of warranty.

So: If you were to buy something from an approved dealer it may have warranty remaining..i.e. a 2 year old BMW or Merc should still have 1 year on the warranty.

BUT: Some dealers for some reason will not transfer the warranty to the second owner (i.e. Alfa Romeo).